DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

I reviewed WWF Primetime 3/16/1987 here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/wwf-primetime-wrestling-3161987-review.html

Overall thoughts: This show wasn't that good The women's match was really the only good thing on here and the big Andre training reveal ended up being a fraud. Why did they shill it so much then? It was a waste of time and I don't recommend anything except the women.

Some shots from the show:

g.gif

1-1-2014+7-44-45+PM.jpg

1-1-2014+7-34-53+PM.jpg

Watched 2 hours of the Jerry Lawler, Tommy Rich, Austin Idol hair angle last night.  I was just gonna watch 30 minutes and go to sleep but I wound up watching the full thing. 

It's amazing watching young Paul Heyman do many of the same things he does today.  The way he reacted to Austin Idol offering refunds was the exact same way he'd react to one of his guys accepting an ill advised challenge now.

I reviewed WWF Primetime 3/16/1987 here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/wwf-primetime-wrestling-3161987-review.html

Overall thoughts: This show wasn't that good The women's match was really the only good thing on here and the big Andre training reveal ended up being a fraud. Why did they shill it so much then? It was a waste of time and I don't recommend anything except the women.

Someone needs to steal that rotating cross body block. I've never seen the like.

Flair.jpg

ric-flair-royal-rumble-1992.jpg

Yesterday I watched the 1992 Royal Rumble match for the first time in years. So many big names in it and what a match it was as Ric Flair, #3 entrant (that's not fair to Flair!) goes on to win the vacant World Wrestling Federation Championship. This match also has the best commentary ever with Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon.

presenting: Dump Matsumoto's entire WWF run!

3/8/86: Dump/Bull Nakano v. Velvet McIntire/Dawn Marie from the Boston Garden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12yefjmqUKY

Your distractions from the Gorilla/Hayes commentary track (are you aware that Dump is large? seriously, Gorilla fucking Monsoon is gonna make endless fat jokes? no wonder this didn't work): Velvet in her "foot fetishists delight" (barefoot) attire, the confusion over what to call Dump/Nakano (Devils of Japan? Devils Duo?), Monsoon's inability to pronounce Nakano, or Gorilla having to sell Dump stepping on Dawn Marie's right breast as a throat-shot.

3/11/86: Dump/Nakano v. Susan Starr/Candice Pardee (aired on Prime Time in April 1986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdAAjJg4wRM

Nice Greenwich Village joke, Gorilla. Subtle. The video quality sucks. Less weight jokes from Gorilla. Lots of (probably) Moolah/Mae trainees getting repeatedly lariated and whipped into the ring.

3/16/86: Dump/Nakano v. Velvet McIntyre/Linda Gonzalez from MSG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrJL8SnlLuI

The MSG walk! The same shitty Greenwich Village joke! The shitty zoomed-out hard camera! The lack of heat pre-match does make individual hecklers easier to hear. Bump like a freak Velvet. So much teasing of tags and the ref constantly not seeing shit. Gorilla clubbed Gilberto Roman to death after the show.

The Crush Gals also appeared on the same shows. 3/8 (v. Judy Martin/Donna Christianello), 3/11 (v. Leilani Kai/Black Venus) and 3/16 (v. Leilani Kai/Penny Mitchell)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvX_LyPri2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9xc3PurK5E

Fuck you Gorilla, you get to pronounce Japanese names for 20 minutes! (the tag denial with the "I'll just step on the closest hand and stare at you" look, awesome). 

And here's the Crush Gals at MSG

Gorilla Monsoon calling Japanese Womens wrestling isn't terrible compared to the Larry Z commentary tracks from WCW 1996. But it's... interesting, aside from the "oh, the Bull/the Dump are portly".. which I believe is the same sort of commentary that we remember from the Aja Kong WWF run

So, AJW and the WWF differed slightly in demographics in 1986

just watched ECW Super Summer Sizzler '93 this morning. had never seen it before.

it was interesting seeing Superfly Snuka as a heel. you just don't get that too often.

loved the signs in the crowd. "KILL HIM".  "SULLI MUST GO".  "LOSER". "SMEAR THE QUEER".

Terry Funk on commentary for Dick Murdoch was awesome.

the "First Blood" match contained surprisingly little blood.

Funk/Gilbert Chain Match was fun.

Finished watching ECW'95 pack. You can't "get" ECW if you don't follow it. Lot's of fun ref bumps, BS and 911. Bill Alphonso is amazing in all this stuff.

I love Raven and Sabu on here, but I'm disappointed with Foley's and Sandman's performances, specially Foley. He just doesn't have particularly good matches. Dreamer cuts some terrible promos.

Eddie vs Malenko and Eddie vs Scorpio is great, some of the Benoit stuff is awesome as well but he doesn't stick for longer.

I love the bullshit, the crowds are pretty terrible for the most part. I'm gonna try 1996 but I would like to see some "traditional" wrestling as well in here and I just don't see who would deliver it at this point.. 

Barbed Wire City is a FANTASTIC documentary. miles better than Forever Hardcore.

it actually made me interested in the Extreme Reunion/Extreme Rising shows. And that's saying something based on all the negative reviews they got.

I'm currently renting the 4 disk Jeff Jarrett collection TNA put out a few years back, and it's really frustrating. Jarrett looks great in almost all matches, bumping and stooping for guys who can't go any more (like 2002 Scott Hall) and working well with younger guys like Styles, Brown and a really green Chris Harris. But the endings...fucks sake. Add a few proper endings, with no overbooked nonsense, and it'd be a great collection. The interviews with JJ are really interesting, I should add

I reviewed Wrestlemania 3 here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/wwf-wrestlemania-3-review.html

Overall thoughts: We had a few really good matches here which helped the show a ton. The main was good, Savage/Steamboat was good, Piper/Adonis was good and Hercules/BJH was good too. The bad stuff was mostly just the finishes. Wrestlemania clearly was still kind of another show along the road here as we left a lot of matches without truly decisive finishes and we got some angles. It's hard to imagine that in this day and age but it was very clear here. There was filler too which really wasn't needed but nothing was truly awful here. I'd have to say that I enjoyed the show as a whole. There was enough good stuff to make up for the inconclusive stuff and Uecker/Hart really did good in their roles. I recommend this one and give it the thumbs up, but I do think a few matches could have been subtracted from the card and it wouldn't have hurt anything.

Some shots from the show:

f.gif

1-18-2014+9-45-01+AM.jpg

1-18-2014+10-26-44+PM.jpg

1-18-2014+4-34-14+PM.jpg

Been watching Georgia Championship Wrestling '83 for the past couple of days,so thankful that I got to watch this stuff when I was a kid. This vid has an awesome angle of how Pistol Pez Whatley got over in Georgia in one episode by pinning Buzz Sawyer twice, which was a huge accomplishment since Sawyer had never been pinned on tv, and they celebrate it like Pez won the world title, but first, it's led off by the best fucking promo I ever heard from the JYD to get Pez amped up. Then you get the Road Warriors turning on Paul Ellering...just because.  "We're walking death!".  After you see the squash they do, you kind of believe it.  I'm still trippin' how much of a motherfucking badass Buzz Sawyer was. DAT POWERSLAM. All this stuff going on is during the peak of the Tommy Rich/Sawyer feud, and you get a little peak at one of their insane brawls.Fuck an ECW, Georgia Rasslin' was the shit. 

Found a YouTube that posted every Brawl for All... and holy shit, 15 fucking matches of this with 16 guys, and they didn't start working the matches until the semifinals, so every match was a 3 round decision except 3 Bart Gunn matches and a Dr. Death TKO. Yeah, egads

i don't think they worked any of the matches.

also, i quite enjoyed the Brawl 4 All tourney. but then again, i'm a humungous fan of early NHB/MMA fights.

Found a YouTube that posted 

... and holy shit, 15 fucking matches of this with 16 guys, and they didn't start working the matches until the semifinals, so every match was a 3 round decision except 3 Bart Gunn matches and a Dr. Death TKO. Yeah, egads

also, i quite enjoyed the Brawl 4 All tourney. but then again, i'm a humungous fan of early NHB/MMA fights.

If Bob Holly is to be believed, it was all a shoot and they actually paid Dr. Death the money before the thing even started.

Found a YouTube that posted every Brawl for All... and holy shit, 15 fucking matches of this with 16 guys, and they didn't start working the matches until the semifinals, so every match was a 3 round decision except 3 Bart Gunn matches and a Dr. Death TKO. Yeah, egads

I could have sworn that they started working the matches after Gunn/Dr Death and that Gunn/Godfather and Gunn/Bradshaw were worked

You have no excuse to not watch this right now. NO. EXCUSE.

Access Denied (content_filter_denied)

Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Mixed Content/Potentially Adult;Audio/Video Clips"  

For assistance, contact your network support team.

That's my excuse.....lousy work filters...

Been watching an All Star Wrestling fancam from 2001, which really shows how far BritWres has come in the last ten years. Nowadays, you get the likes of Doug Williams, Marty Scurll, Rampage Brown and Dean Allmark putting on good matches. Here, the best match by some distance was Chad Collyer vs Jonny Storm (which was worked like a decent TV match, really fun bout) and most of the rest was a load of chaff. A tag team tables match pitting James Mason and the Legend of Doom(!) vs The Hollywood Blonde(!) and Bad Brad the Nasty Boy(!!!) is decent, despite Bad Brad being utterly inept. PN News takes on the Cuban Assassin in a dull match and Marty Jannetty took on something called Tortoru in an absolute atrocity of a match. The show ends with the MC announcing that the audience can have a photo taken with Cuban Assassin in the ring for £5 whilst our cameraman zooms right in on his manager's arse.