DVDVR Message Board

Raw 12-29-14 - Edge and Christian Host

MGFanJay

The Ascension look like a Road Warriors ripoff that your local indy fed that runs in front of 100 people at the armory would've booked in 1991.

chikara champions The Devastation Corporation

You forgot "... are awesome."

I'm still kinda shocked they finally acknowledged that Ryback was Skip Sheffield from The Nexus. Bray/Husky, we're looking at you next.

Didn't NXT actually offer a plausible explanation for that?

Define "plausible".

Husky Harris is a vessel for "Bray Wyatt," who I assume is a spirit of some kind. We can also infer that Husky Harris had a mental breakdown and invented the persona "Bray Wyatt." The latter is realistic and the former is plausible in the WWE Universe, which contains The Undertaker and his random supernatural powers. 

• Like 1

Edge should have turned heel.

Seriously.  Nothing would've been better than Edge slowly getting picked up by Big Show, smiling and giving Cena a final "you can't see me" before walking away.  

THAT would have been appropriate for the Rated R Sooooooooooooooooooper star.  

• Like 2

I think they avoided that as a way to not make Cena look weak considering what he was doing but then he charged the ring and was able to stop Rollins anyway after the fact so he just looked like a moron since he could have just done that in the first place.

• Like 2

I was waiting for the heel turn too, especially after Edge and Cena's backstage segment. WWE writing is so spineless that I'm sure they thought that a heel Edge and whatever Christian couldn't then host SmackDown.

RE: Stephanie getting pregnant again. Or not, I guess.

I remember listening to this interview she did for some bodybuilding site a couple of years ago where she was adamant she wasn't having any more kids because her and Triple H would be too busy preparing to take the company over from Vince.

It always stuck in my mind because it was the sad and shocking realization that wrestling fans were never going to get Triple H Jr.  :(

I'm still kinda shocked they finally acknowledged that Ryback was Skip Sheffield from The Nexus. Bray/Husky, we're looking at you next.

Didn't NXT actually offer a plausible explanation for that?

Define "plausible".

Husky Harris is a vessel for "Bray Wyatt," who I assume is a spirit of some kind. We can also infer that Husky Harris had a mental breakdown and invented the persona "Bray Wyatt." The latter is realistic and the former is plausible in the WWE Universe, which contains The Undertaker and his random supernatural powers.

Makes sense since Bray would close his promos in FCW & NXT with Time is on My Side. He's possessed by Azazel. We need Azazel jumping to other members of the roster like Titus O'Neill, Emma, Sandow, Fandango, etc.

Wait, they are gonna rehash the build to Survivor Series?

And people would be more into Seth if he was more convincing as a mastermind. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy you'd send to get you a drink if your hanging out somewhere, let alone a smart guy.

I kinda would see/write Seth as a guy who really emulates HHH, up to trying to be an evil mastermind, when he just doesn't have the chops for it, so he ends up kinda a cartoon villain, yet he can still kill you in the ring.

How is Seth not a mastermind? That's how he's been positioned as for ages now. He put The Shield together. He jumped at the chance for more power when HHH asked him to join his ranks and turned on his brothers. He wormed his way into winning the Money In The Bank, which he coyly still has despite a near-miss at the title. He slid his way into The Authority's top spot and undermined Randy Orton, whom he eventually took out. He led The Authority in Survivor Series and nearly was a Dolph Ziggler miracle away from cementing their grip. He then figured out a way to make Cena give into his demands.

That's pretty great mastermind work right there. He's been nothing short of awesome as a conniving slimebag since The Shield turn.

• Like 7

Wait, they are gonna rehash the build to Survivor Series?

And people would be more into Seth if he was more convincing as a mastermind. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy you'd send to get you a drink if your hanging out somewhere, let alone a smart guy.

I kinda would see/write Seth as a guy who really emulates HHH, up to trying to be an evil mastermind, when he just doesn't have the chops for it, so he ends up kinda a cartoon villain, yet he can still kill you in the ring.

He was perfect in his role in the Age of the Fall, with Jimmy Jacobs as the clear leader and brains of the group.

Maybe it was just me but I could've sworn Cena said "I'd bring back the Authority." As if he was going to add a stipulation before he went to cut off Rollins.

I really wish there was a viable, competitive alternative to the WWE... barring that, I just wish they weren't so fucking gutless and gun-shy when it comes to people going off TV for extended spells. I mean what the shit? You run an giant angle with earth-shattering, nothing-will-be-the-same consequences and go back to the status quo after six weeks? 

It really is ridiculous how meaningless stipulations have become. I don't want to pat myself on the back too hard, but I predicted this:

On the plus side, this adds some intrigue to the outcome. It was obvious that Team Authority was going over if they were the only ones who had anything to lose. On the minus side, this guarantees that the outcome will be completely meaningless. We all remember what happened the last time Cena got fired, right? And Stephanie is far too entrenched as the top heel to go away for any length of time.

It's because of crap like this that Raw audiences are dead as a doornail 99% of the time. Nobody gives a shit because nothing matters.

Beyond that, this Authority storyline is sucking all the fun out of wrestling. At its core, wrestling is escapist entertainment. People watch to get away from the bullshit in their daily lives, not be reminded of it. Who the hell wants to watch a show where the main characters constantly get emasculated by their bosses? There's more than enough of that in the real world.

Also, I have to respectfully disagree about an Edge heel turn. It would've been great in the short-term, but the last thing WWE needs is another heel who can't take bumps and doesn't get his comeuppance.

• Like 3

The Ascension weren't that good in NXT. It's not like they were ruined. They were poised as the nise Eliminators and did that role well enough. But they're not great by any means. Perfectly acceptable as a mid-card tag-team act, and putting them over Mizdow to set up their split is a good debut. But did anyone really expect them to set the world ablaze? I still love their tweaked act, though.

It's crazy that they ran a promo for the Ascension during the show, and I totally forgot they were debuting by the time Miz was in the ring.  Ha.  Brock standing around like a goon at the end of the show was disappointing.  I wanted to see him F-5 the shit out of someone.  Heyman and Rollins will makes an awesomely slimy team when they finally link up.  

The only things I'd change about the ending is that I wouldn't have had Rollins talk so much, and I would've set it up in a way so Cena wasn't required to do any acting. I probably wouldn't have used Edge and Christian here either. Also, I would have changed the bit where the Authority come back to the Authority not coming back.

• Like 2

The only things I'd change about the ending is that I wouldn't have had Rollins talk so much, and I would've set it up in a way so Cena wasn't required to do any acting. I probably wouldn't have used Edge and Christian here either. Also, I would have changed the bit where the Authority come back to the Authority not coming back.

That leaves us with Big Show and J and J security.

Alright, if you had Nidia, Serena Deeb, and Big Show's father's casket being dragged by this, you could probably put something together.

tumblr_mhoi5uqNp01qzx70zo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

The Ascension weren't that good in NXT. It's not like they were ruined. They were poised as the nise Eliminators and did that role well enough. But they're not great by any means. Perfectly acceptable as a mid-card tag-team act, and putting them over Mizdow to set up their split is a good debut. But did anyone really expect them to set the world ablaze? I still love their tweaked act, though.

Why did they use Mizdow a second time?  Was there nobody available backstage for a squash on the face side of the roster?

How is Seth not a mastermind? That's how he's been positioned as for ages now. He put The Shield together. He jumped at the chance for more power when HHH asked him to join his ranks and turned on his brothers. He wormed his way into winning the Money In The Bank, which he coyly still has despite a near-miss at the title. He slid his way into The Authority's top spot and undermined Randy Orton, whom he eventually took out. He led The Authority in Survivor Series and nearly was a Dolph Ziggler miracle away from cementing their grip. He then figured out a way to make Cena give into his demands.

That's pretty great mastermind work right there. He's been nothing short of awesome as a conniving slimebag since The Shield turn.

No one doubts that he is a mastermind but the more people that he crowds around him the weaker he looks.  He just added two or three people above him to a crew of lackeys and we still do not understand the Heyman handshake, unless it gets ignored. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, nine months from now after he loses the belt it would have been great.  Seth loses and will do anything to get the belt back, he plots, connives, an cons his way into shot after shot only to lose before he remembers that Cena can bring them back and plots to do so.

Now, it comes off as forced because he has yet to win anything and HHH wants to face Sting at WM.

Why did they use Mizdow a second time?  Was there nobody available backstage for a squash on the face side of the roster?

No one doubts that he is a mastermind but the more people that he crowds around him the weaker he looks.  He just added two or three people above him to a crew of lackeys and we still do not understand the Heyman handshake, unless it gets ignored. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, nine months from now after he loses the belt it would have been great.  Seth loses and will do anything to get the belt back, he plots, connives, an cons his way into shot after shot only to lose before he remembers that Cena can bring them back and plots to do so.

Now, it comes off as forced because he has yet to win anything.

No. He's lining up the pieces. As confident as Seth is in his abilities, he's a student of the game. He knows it's best to have as many people watch his back as possible, especially since he's started a lot of trouble. But I'm sure he realizes J&J are essentially worthless except to run interference. He now has Big Show watching his back (he no doubt realizes he's on the small side), the administrative power of The Authority somewhat indebted to him and a sleazy side-deal with Heyman lined up for the future.

He's not just setting up to win the title. He's setting up to hold the title, too.

It's such great sleazebag politicking. The last time I remember someone so conniving from a kayfabe purpose is when HHH was becoming The Game and married Steph, had his DX flunkies and other goons at his side and had Vince helping him out. That only made HHH one of the biggest stars of all-time, because there were so many poker hands he played over the years to assume power. Seth's lined up to have that type of run.

• Like 1

Add too many people and he becomes weak by comparison, especially when you line people up above him.  For Seth to be the mastermind he has to manipulate the people above him as well as below him but I doubt HHH and Steph will let that happen.

The people below him can be replaced quite easily by offering them opportunities that they would not have had earlier.

If and when it blows up with the people above him they will be out for him and look to put someone new in place.

Then again, all this falls apart the moment Rollins gets injured because there is no strong #2 heel and we saw what happened last year when DB and Punk got injured and left.

Add too many people and he becomes weak by comparison, especially when you line people up above him.  For Seth to be the mastermind he has to manipulate the people above him as well as below him but I doubt HHH and Steph will let that happen.

Except that has pretty much already happened?

Cesaro needs to be a face. It seemed like the crowd was ready to be into him until he went all stereotypical heel "I don't need a connection with you people", at which point the crowd just kind of died.

In the alternative, I was really hoping that when Barrett came out, it would lead to a new tag team.