DVDVR Message Board

Raw 12-29-14 - Edge and Christian Host

MGFanJay

I'm still kinda shocked they finally acknowledged that Ryback was Skip Sheffield from The Nexus. Bray/Husky, we're looking at you next.

Didn't NXT actually offer a plausible explanation for that?

Define "plausible".

Husky Harris is a vessel for "Bray Wyatt," who I assume is a spirit of some kind. We can also infer that Husky Harris had a mental breakdown and invented the persona "Bray Wyatt." The latter is realistic and the former is plausible in the WWE Universe, which contains The Undertaker and his random supernatural powers.

Bray Wyatt killed Laura Palmer.

#spoilers

Jesus, Mark, It's 2014.

Bray killed Hae-Min Lee.

I didnt realize that had someone possesed by an evil spirit. Maybe i should listen after all.

• Like 2

I thought this show was okay. I was glad Bryan's announcement was positive. I'm not a huge fan of the ending though because it dragged FOREVER. Plus I feel Edge and Christian were bad hostages and it would of been way better if it was Cena's Dad or something.

Yeah, we're headed toward a Bryan/Lesnar scenario where Rollins cashes in and wins right after Bryan beats Lesnar. It's probably going to help Rollins get the rest of the way over as a top-level heel to do that, so even though I'd rather see Bryan get a run all the way into Summerslam, I would understand if Rollins over Bryan via cash-in was the plan. 

Or how someone was saying he'd rather see Rusev and Ryback against literally anybody else.

That's Mr. Someone to you, pal.

Anyway, you seem to be confused. It's not that people can't figure out WWE's reasons for doing things. It's that those reasons suck and they would rather WWE have reasons for doing things that don't suck.

I think most of the IWC's complaints boils down to "This sucks because I want them to do something different."

That's like saying Pulp Fiction would be better if Bruce Willis actually went through with fixing the boxing match or if Rachel did run off with Don in Mad Men. People would prefer their choices -- duh. But they do so just assuming their choices are better. Maybe, or maybe not. You'll never know.

People should comment on the execution, and should really do it after the story has been completed. The whole Ambrose/Rollins feud is a good example of this -- I absolutely get why people hated seeing it end with Bray's involvement -- we didn't see the feud end with a decisive finish. But there's another argument to be made, too -- Feuds start like this all the time, Bray wants to be the only crazy man, Rollins brags and boasts about an undeserved triumph. But that's a valid debate to have.

A few people mentioned the whole "Why did MizDow face The Ascension?" Well, first, Miz acted like a big shot and demanded an immediate rematch, which is really grating. That's the kayfabe explanation. The non-kayfabe explanation: MizDow will have an eventual split -- Miz always turns on his tag partners and hates being overshadowed, and this is leading into that direction.

• Like 1

Yeah, we're headed toward a Bryan/Lesnar scenario where Rollins cashes in and wins right after Bryan beats Lesnar. It's probably going to help Rollins get the rest of the way over as a top-level heel to do that, so even though I'd rather see Bryan get a run all the way into Summerslam, I would understand if Rollins over Bryan via cash-in was the plan. 

Bryan might be the best "chase" guy ever. He's so, so, so epic at being the underdog who has to run through wall after wall before he gets his shot. His chase last year sparked one of the hottest periods the company has ever had and broke out briefly to the mainstream. Why mess with that formula? He beats Brock for the title. Rollins cashes in and then sleazily avoids Bryan until he can't anymore.

We have no idea what Bryan will do once he actually has the title. I'm certain he'll be awesome, but they can have another lengthy period of him chasing after the title.

How is Seth not a mastermind? That's how he's been positioned as for ages now. He put The Shield together. He jumped at the chance for more power when HHH asked him to join his ranks and turned on his brothers. He wormed his way into winning the Money In The Bank, which he coyly still has despite a near-miss at the title. He slid his way into The Authority's top spot and undermined Randy Orton, whom he eventually took out. He led The Authority in Survivor Series and nearly was a Dolph Ziggler miracle away from cementing their grip. He then figured out a way to make Cena give into his demands.

That's pretty great mastermind work right there. He's been nothing short of awesome as a conniving slimebag since The Shield turn.

At least his plans aren't just elaborate ways to hit someone with a sledgehammer. 

How is Seth not a mastermind? That's how he's been positioned as for ages now. He put The Shield together. He jumped at the chance for more power when HHH asked him to join his ranks and turned on his brothers. He wormed his way into winning the Money In The Bank, which he coyly still has despite a near-miss at the title. He slid his way into The Authority's top spot and undermined Randy Orton, whom he eventually took out. He led The Authority in Survivor Series and nearly was a Dolph Ziggler miracle away from cementing their grip. He then figured out a way to make Cena give into his demands.

That's pretty great mastermind work right there. He's been nothing short of awesome as a conniving slimebag since The Shield turn.

At least his plans aren't just elaborate ways to hit someone with a sledgehammer. 

To be fair, sometimes Triple H would hide the sledgehammer.

• Like 2

Honestly.......I was completely distracted during Cesaro's promo and barely listening.  What was this slip up that has everyone freaking out?

Something about "in between these four ropes" instead of four posts & then the commentators kept making jokes about there not being four ropes. And Cesaro tried to cover it up a little bit after he said it like "there's four sides..." or something. Then he got squashed & looked like a geek anyway, so even if he said it right, it would not have mattered.

To be fair, sometimes Triple H would hide the sledgehammer.

Stephanie has banned the phrase "hide the sledgehammer" from office usage at WWE corporate.

Wonder how Bryan emulating the Austin X7 heel turn would go.

Aligns himself with Heyman, and/or the Regime, beats Cena again. Turns heel, as he didn't think his neck would stand up to it by himself, but it was about more than him - but rather the entire Yes Movement, the brand the couple represent (Brie being on Total Divas. Did it because Cena brought the Regime back, and better the devil you know, rather than someone who consistently is out for himself.

Cena takes a beating from Bryan and Rollins in a cage the night after and goes away for a while.

New two man power trip of Bryan and Rollins are chased by Reigns and Ambrose for the rest of the year.

The Ascension will work if they go against skinny jobbers and CW type wrestlers. Their offense will look stupid and weak against The Usos, Gold/Star Dust, and in all reality- ANY OF WWE'S CURRENT TAG TEAMS. WWE needs to also dig in its bad of tricks and get these guys facepaint game on the level of LOD, KISS, Sting, Ultimate Warrior, etc. Right now they look like two dads who reluctantly not only had to take their kids Treat O' Treating, but also be forced to dress up for the occasion. I would expect a piss poor-half ass paint job from TNA, but not WWE. Come on WWE THIS IS WHAT YOU DO!

When I saw Cesaro sitting in the corner like Raven, I got some serious Rob Conway vibes. In 06 or 07, he made a new year resolution that if he couldn't win his next match he'd quit, then lost to Jeff Hardy in about 30 seconds. So my supernatural wrestling senses are in good shape.

Backstage segment with Christian bringing up Edge beating up Cena's dad was funny.

I can't imagine after last year, they'd be stupid enough to tease Bryan in the Rumble and not deliver.

The main event promo was way too long, but I liked Rollins' heel work towards the climax. Plus the line "You know me better than that, I'm gonna kill him anyway" cracked me up. Perfect B-movie villain delivery there. The authority already coming back is stupid. If they really wanted to make this segment work, they needed Sting to show up and clean house before Cena could say anything. The thing about a HHH/Sting match is you don't actually need either guy on tv that much to build it, although I doubt HHH sees it that way.

Finally watched the Cesaro bit, and I don't really get why some people are giving him a hard time for it. It was fine. Sure, he flubbed a line, like many performers do once in a while. The longwinded promo has never been his strong suit and everyone already knew that. English isn't even his first language, which can be a challenge in itself when reciting long dialogue.

Also glad to see Barrett back, but he did look pretty frail. Would love to see Barrett/Cesaro have a 10 minute match down the line though.