DVDVR Message Board

New WWE/SKY deal - no NXT and Superstars & PPVs £19.95

Charro!

I live in a tiny town on the Staffordshire/ Cheshire border, and I've had fibre-optic cable (through Virgin Media (Well, through NTL originally)) for the last 15 years. Across four different addresses, even. So as far as Virgin covering a tiny proportion of the Country... 'fraid not, sorry.

I live in a tiny town on the Staffordshire/ Cheshire border, and I've had fibre-optic cable (through Virgin Media (Well, through NTL originally)) for the last 15 years. Across four different addresses, even. So as far as Virgin covering a tiny proportion of the Country... 'fraid not, sorry.

That's a pretty small sample size but good for you I guess? "Oh, I have it, so everyone must"? is bad logic though.

Having lived in a number of places, the Scottish Highlands doesn't have cable at all (that's an area about the same size as Belgium), where I stayed in Sheffield had it, and both where I stayed & other places I looked at in Glasgow (the 5th biggest city in the UK) didn't have it. Though it exists somewhere. I mean look at this map from 2004 (there has been minimal investment in the cable infrastructure in the past decade, Virgin have no interest in new customers for whatever reason) and tell me my assertion that a small proportion of the UK has access to cable is wrong.

From what I can remember at the time when they were laying the fibre optic cables (this was in the mid 1990's IIRC), only certain places could get what is now Virgin Media broadband. Most of the main type of towns/cities would now, I assume, have access to fibre optic broadband either from Virgin, Sky, TalkTalk and other providers. This website here tells you what type of broadband is available in your area. From what it says, the max for Virgin at this time, is 152Mbps. 

Virgin Media's cable service is available in such a tiny proportion of the country. I mean I know some parts of Glasgow have it but I've yet to actually find out where those parts are. And further north than Glasgow it pretty much doesn't exist. The cable infrastructure has been almost completely static for 15-20 years and Virgin Media have basically come out and stated repeatedly they have no interest in actually upgrading it.

Virgin took over the local cable service providers, so it's possible there could be some which operate independently of them. Most of the one's around in the 1990's were taken over by NTL, which in turn, was then taken over by Virgin. BT claim they have 62% coverage and according to Digital Scotland there is going to be another rollout of broadband services in the near future. I would assume the holdup is similar to parts of England which are more rural, which would make it more difficult for them to lay cables & such. 

Also saw this over on F4W

WWE News: Main Event pre-empted next week

Tuesday, 13 January 2015 17:40

It was just announced that due to contractual commitments that Main Event would not be airing next week, and instead there would be a Royal Rumble special hosted by Santino Marella.

According to sources, the situation is that with the launch of the network in the U.S. this week, Sky holds exclusive rights to Main Event in the U.K. market.  So unless WWE creates a separate U.K. feed without Main Event, they won't be able to put the show on the network, unless they strike a deal with Sky.

The hope is that with two weeks until the planned 1/27 show that they can work the issue out.

:rolleyes: