DVDVR Message Board

The Best Films of 2014 Voting/Pimping Thread

caley

Good. I will try to get a couple of my blind spot films out of the way this week. 

I need to look at my list of what I have seen against what a lot of lists from the year to see if there's anything I need to go out of my way to see. I do know I at least want to see CitizenFour before I submit.

Good. I will try to get a couple of my blind spot films out of the way this week. 

I need to look at my list of what I have seen against what a lot of lists from the year to see if there's anything I need to go out of my way to see. I do know I at least want to see CitizenFour before I submit.

If you haven't seen 'We Are the Best', make time for it (I think it's on Netflix...at least Canadian Netflix).  It's going to be high on my list.

Really, REALLY high

I'll have you the list later today I am thinking.

This may be the fewest films I've seen in preparation for this, but I was surprised to see that I rated 26 films at 7 or better last year. Meaning, there's at least a good 20 films I need to see to feel strongly about this list. (I probably will not watch Inherent Vice until its Blu Ray release at the end of next month).

I am trying to knock that list down to 15. Honestly, the back half of the list is just coin flipping stuff. I could probably change it 100 times and insert/remove stuff depending on my mood minute by minute.

Thus, I will probably not change my list from the first draft I have.

Chaos and Control have spoken. "Chief, I'm on the way!" Let's rock this mofo. 

I've got a handful of PMs out there to see if I can nail down a few more lists (Was pretty lax with this thing this year, I'll admit, but I've already snagged one more), plus it's my birthday weekend this weekend, so we'll probably see the beginning of the roll-out sometime next week: Tuesday if I'm motivated, but if not shortly thereafter.  If anyone wants to re-order their list, watch stuff over the weekend, let me know, and I'll try to accommodate y'all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry about dragging my heels on this, but I'm just not feeling like putting the time into proper write-ups for each.  So I think I'll just post the first part of the list, then I'll do proper write-ups for the Top 10, okay?

13 Voters, 107 Different Films Receiving Votes.

Scoring Method

1st 30 points

2nd 28 points

3rd 26 points...etc. etc.

10th 12 points

11th 11 points

12th 10 points

13th 09 points...etc. etc.

20th 02 points

21st-30th 01 point each

For ties, film with the individual highest placing goes first

34. Big Hero 6 (30 Points - 3 votes - Highest Vote: New Blood and Suicide King of Spades (#11).

33. Beyond the Lights (30 points - 1 vote - Highest Vote: theonlyrice's #1 Film of 2014!)

33. Only Lovers Left Alive (31 points - 3 votes - Highest Vote: Chaos (#7)

31. The Guest (33 points - 5 votes - Highest Vote: theonlyrice (#4)

30. Blue Ruin (36 points - 3 votes - Highest Vote: Control (#5)

29. Locke (37 points - 4 votes - Highest Vote: Chaos (#6)

28. The Drop (38 points - 3 votes - Highest Vote: Suicide King of Spades (#6)

27. The Babadook (40 points 2 votes - Highest Vote: Suicide King of Spades (#2)

26. Enemy (42 points - 4 votes - Highest Vote: Suicide King of Spades (#4)

25. Inherent Vice (43 points - 5 votes - Highest Vote: execproducer (#7)

24. American Sniper (44 points - 3 votes - Highest Vote: SolidGoldBomb (#2)

23. Force Majeure (45 points - 3 votes - Highest Vote: Control (#3)

22. John Wick (48 points - 5 votes - Highest Vote: Ray (#7)

21. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (48 points - 4 votes - Highest Vote: The Z (#4)

20. Citizenfour (48 points - 2 votes - Highest Vote: The Natural (#3) Other High Votes: Chaos (#5)

19. We Are the Best! (58 points - 4 votes - Highest Vote: Caley's #1 Film of 2014!

18. Jodorowsky's Dune (60 points - 3 votes - Highest Vote: New Blood (#2)

17. Calvary (70 points - 6 votes - Highest Vote: Beast (#2)

16. The Lego Movie (77 points - 7 votes - Highest Vote: Jingus' #1 Film of 2014! Other High Votes: The Natural (#4)

15. Gone Girl (78 points - 6 votes - Highest Vote: The Z (#5)

14. Edge of Tomorrow (82 points - 10 Votes - Highest Vote: Jingus (#3)

13. Foxcatcher (87 points - 5 votes - Highest Vote: Control and SoldGoldBomb (#4)

12. X-Men: Days of Future Past (92 points - 6 votes - Highest Vote: The Natural (#5)

11. The Raid 2 (98 points - 7 votes - Highest Vote: Caley and ExecProducer (#3)

• Like 1

"My friend, you suffer from the misplaced optimism of the doomed."

The-axe-men.jpg

10. Snowpiercer (100 points - 6 votes - Highest Vote: Control (#2) Other High Votes: Beast (#3) and New Blood (#5)

Previous #10: The World's End (2013)

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "SNOWPIERCER was goddamn terrific. Bong Joon-Ho is gonna get his chance to do a lot more American stuff thanks to this and he deserves it. Extremely well done. Doesn't throw out gratuitous violence just for the hell of it. Got a lot out of Evans, too. Plus, it's a really great story with some fantastic twists and turns. A couple of plot holes (it's a sci-fi movie, so, duh) but definitely one of the best movies made in recent times. Now I have to watch The Host. On the Tabe scale, an easy 9/10, pushing 9.5." -TimLivingston

"You know how everyone's always saying seize the moment?  I don't know, I'm kind of thinking it's the other way around, you know, like the moment seizes us."

boyhood-arquetteY1_2963900k.jpg

09. Boyhood (110 points - 9 votes - Highest Vote: Chaos' #1 Film of 2014! Other High Votes: Beast and Ray (#4).

Previous #9: Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "I thought Birdman was an excellent movie, but I liked Boyhood just a tad more, and my gut fells me ten years from now, Boyhood is going to hold up better.  Kinda surprised it won pretty much nothing." -sydneybrown

"There's nothing more horrifying than a miracle."

captainamerica2chrisevanselevatorfightsc

08. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (112 points - 8 votes - Highest Vote: The Natural's #1 Film of 2014! Other High Votes: Jingus (#2)

Previous #8: The Act of Killing (2013)

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Just a good, solid action movie with understandable, properly fleshed-out characters with real purpose taking on understandable, fleshed-out characters to battle for the fate of the planet.  Chris Evans has a really interesting charismaless charisma, Scarlett Johanssen looks much more comfortable as Black Widow, and the supporting characters are all motivated and solid.  Good action set pieces and fights and a just a good, solid film.  That it was somehow directed by the Russo Brothers (of Arrested Development and Community fame) is still fascinating to me." -caley

"People, they love blood.  They love action.  Not this talky, depressing, philosophical bullshit."

birdman-michael-keaton-2.jpg

07. Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (122 points - 7 votes - Highest Vote: Execproducer and The Z (#2)

Previous #7: Prisoners (2013)

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "I really loved Birdman so I am happy it won.  I don't think I have ever had a moviegoing experience like I did for that movie.  I'd heard good things and went to the theater expecting a comedy about superheroes and the theater, but instead I got Birdman.  Fuck, I love that movie." -Buy Me a Burrito

"I'm not afraid of death.  I'm an old physicist - I'm afraid of time."

tesseract.png

06. Interstellar (132 points - 5 votes - Ray and The Z's #1 Film of 2014! Other High Votes: SolidGoldBomb (#3), Caley (#4) and theonlyrice (#5)

Previous #6: Before Midnight (2013)

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "And now I need to take a break again from thinking about Interstellar. I loved it and it made total sense to me." -Craig H

Top 5 tomorrow!

"People wind me up."

under-the-skin-official-trailer-12.jpg

05. Under the Skin (140 points - 8 votes - Highest Vote: Execproducer's #1 Film of 2014! Other High Votes: Chaos (#2) and Caley (#5)

Previous #5: 12 Years A Slave (2013)

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Finally saw Under The Skin.  Wanted to say that the creepy music whenever anyone is about to get killed deserves to be on the level of the themes from Psycho or Jaws.  Like you should be able to hum it and people should know what movie you're referencing.  Although I'm also noticing that it bears a strong resemblance to the Warp Whistle from Super Mario 3." - S.K.o.S.

"Actually, that's not true because, as you know, Nina, a friend is a gift you give yourself."

2014-NIGHTCRAWLER-010.jpg

04. Nightcrawler (140 points - 9 votes - Highest Vote: New Blood and Solid Gold Bomb's #1 Film of 2014!

Previous #4: American Hustle (2013)

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "So, ah, yeah, Nightcrawler is pretty much the best film I've seen this year.   As for Gyllenhaal, I mean, I haven't yet seen Birdman/Whiplash/Boyhood et al but, still, I'm kinda struggling to think of a better lead male actor performance this year. I mean, Goddamn, dude was great in this." -Fuzzy Dunlop

• Like 1

"Asleep for the danger, awake for the money, as per frickin' usual."

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Groot-Smiling.jp

03. Guardians of the Galaxy (157 points - 10 votes - Highest Vote: Caley (#2) Other High Votes: Jingus and New Blood (#4).

Previous #3: Her (2013) 

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Ha, I'm so far behind I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy on Showtime. And just my two cents, that's the funnest and funniest film I've seen in a long time. After watching Don't Torture A Duckling on El Rey, which is a hugely misanthropic downer, that was quite the breath of fresh air." -Curt McGirt 

"I must say, I find that girl utterly delightful.  Flat as a board, enormous birthmark the shape of Mexico over half her face, sweating for hours on end in that sweltering kitchen, while Mendl, genius though he is, looms over her like a hulking gorilla.  Yet without question, without fail, always and invariably, she's exceedingly lovely."

the-grand-budapest-hotel-tony-revolori-a

02. The Grand Budapest Hotel (162 points - 9 votes - Highest Vote: Control's #1 Film of 2014! Other High Votes: Ray (#2), theonlyrice (#3), Execproducer (#4) and Beast (#5)

Previous #2: Gravity (2013) 

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Goddamn Wes Anderson.  I avoided GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL for months because I thought I was over it all and it's all so squeee and blah blah.  Yep.  He got me again.  I will without any doubt be watching this movie on a continuous loop for the next week or so.  GODDAMN WES ANDERSON!!!!" -piranesi

"Not my tempo."

whiplash-1.jpg

01. Whiplash (236 points - 10 votes - Highest Vote: Beast and Suicide King of Spade's #1 Film of 2014! Other High Votes: theonlyrice (#2), Chaos and The Z (#3), Chaos, Ray and SolidGoldBomb (#5).

Previous #1: The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Whiplash.  Holy fuck.  Whiplash." -Roman

• Like 3