DVDVR Message Board

The Best Films of 2014 Voting/Pimping Thread

caley

I think the point is to rank what you have seen, not to absolutely see everything ( Even I'm not going to pull that one off), so as a Gentleman of Discernment and Distinction, you ought to be able to put together a 10 film ballot. C'mon Man!!!

I thought I was going to have seen more by now, but I don't think I've watched a movie in full in over a month. I've either spent what little time I've had away from work playing video games or watching tv shows.

I need to look at what I haven't seen and see what I think I really need to see prior to at least giving a top ten. I was thinking I could maybe pull off a 15 or 20 at least too.

Oh well.

Cold in July :  Don't know yet if this makes my final ballot, but a very nice little thriller. Michael C. Hall plays a family man whose life is turned upside-down after killing a burglar. After discovering a discrepancy between his memory of events and law enforcement's version, he makes a series of highly questionable decisions that lead to an unlikely alliance and the film's bloody climax. Rarely do films put knots in my stomach but this one managed it on a couple of occasions. Good performances from Hall and Sam Shepard, who pulls off a scary old man role 100x better than Sam Elliott has managed to do so far on the final season of Justified. And Don Johnson proves once and for all that what the world really needs is a lot more Don Johnson.

Jodorowsky's Dune : Given the technical limitations of the time, and Jodorowsky's actual filmography, it seems very doubtful that the vision for Dune presented in this doc could have ever been pulled off. But damn, I want to see that film. And I would give my left nut to own one of the pre-production books, put together by Jodorowsky's creative team and given to the various studios as part of their pitch. Filled with story-boards and designs for characters, ships, and settings, the book is a work of art . This was a project that was simply to big to succeed. Top ten lock on my ballot. 

EDIT: also, do short films count?  Too Many Cooks was a work of fuckin' genius.  

?

I'm going to say no, because that opens a whole can of worms about what is/isn't long enough, what constitutes a short film (Does a music video count? Fan-made? etc. etc.).

Cold in July :  Don't know yet if this makes my final ballot, but a very nice little thriller. Michael C. Hall plays a family man whose life is turned upside-down after killing a burglar. After discovering a discrepancy between his memory of events and law enforcement's version, he makes a series of highly questionable decisions that lead to an unlikely alliance and the film's bloody climax. Rarely do films put knots in my stomach but this one managed it on a couple of occasions. Good performances from Hall and Sam Shepard, who pulls off a scary old man role 100x better than Sam Elliott has managed to do so far on the final season of Justified. And Don Johnson proves once and for all that what the world really needs is a lot more Don Johnson.

I've watched about half of this and I love the score, but I feel like the movie it's becoming after the first 45 minutes is less interesting than the movie that came before.  We'll see, though.

I've watched about half of this and I love the score, but I feel like the movie it's becoming after the first 45 minutes is less interesting than the movie that came before.  We'll see, though.

I would counter that the movie that came before was on track to being the same old innocents vs psycho deal that was already played out 15 years ago, so the shift was welcome for me. It isn't a masterpiece by any means and it won't make a top 10 or 20 ballot, but if I do a top 30, it just might slide in there.

I know it is a little late in the process to be pimping films, but what the hell.

Tim's Vermeer : I don't even know what to say about this. It is presented in the doc that human beings can actually do these sorts of things. Well, yeah, maybe human beings with ultra-focus and drive, and the ability to develop previously unknown, highly specialized skills in short time periods. People like Tim Jenison. Makes me feel like a special idiot for struggling to put together a brake for my bike. Jenison's rarefied abilities do not make his achievement any less remarkable. And learning Johannes Vermeer may have been as much a technician as an artist, does not make him any less an Old Master.  Great doc.

2014 was a really good year for movies.  Hope we can get to double digits for ballots.

I'm thinking my #1 movie has a very high chance of being the consensus #1, which would be the first time that's happened.

2014 was a really good year for movies.  Hope we can get to double digits for ballots.

I'm thinking my #1 movie has a very high chance of being the consensus #1, which would be the first time that's happened.

I think, counting my own, we have about 6 ballots.  So that's pretty unlikely.

RT seems to base it on the year of wide release, or something like when the general public has the chance to see it.

I always thought they did initial US theatrical release, which is why I'm shocked with Sniper and Vice.

I completely agree that we should not base a film's release on the year it first played a Festival.

Well I got sidetracked by a pesky Phd defence. And now I'm on vacation. So unless you hold off until next week I won't be contributing. But if you are I'd be happy to send in a top 10-15.

I can hold off until next week for you Control..as it is I think I've got 7 ballots, so if more time means more ballots, I'll gladly give it (This goes for already submitted ballots, if you want to revise them in the next week, go for it!).  

Right now my list is

-Execproducer

-SKOS

-Jingus

-The Natural

-TheZ

-New Blood

-Myself

If you see anyone who should have voted and didn't PM them for me.

American Sniper and Inherent Vice are both showing 2015 on RT. Are either of these eligible?

I'd say they're both eligible.  Basically, I'd like to go with a sort-of consensus.  Both of these were Oscar nominees this year, hence both are eligible for our poll.

Looking forward to see where films place but particularly the comic book films. As you know, I kinda like 'em ; ),

I might even have a couple on my list this year! 

• Like 1

Looking forward to see where films place but particularly the comic book films. As you know, I kinda like 'em ; ),

I might even have a couple on my list this year!
I'm your huckleberry.  Hell, only two films on my list aren't sequels/remakes/adaptations from preexisting franchises.
  • Like 1