DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

After DB lost at Fastlane I was dead-set that this would be the worst Mania ever. Now, I'm mildly excited. Rusev/Cena is the best non-main event feud on a Mania in a LONG time, I actually think Orton/Rollins is pretty fun even if the Authority stuff was pretty lame, the IC Title match is intriguing just in terms of who wins and all the guys will give 120%, Bray/Taker is interesting just for how much of a car-wreck Taker may or may not be at this stage, and Reigns/Lesnar and HHH/Sting are both huge spectacles even if not for the right reasons.

It's not exciting in a "this is gonna be awesome!" way but in a "where the fuck are they gonna go with all of this" way. I really hope that the WWE doesn't look at the Network as an excuse to half-ass Mania just because "it's all the same $9.99!", and I'm assuming they have a plan to make it memorable even if we don't see it now.

So, out of curiosity, how many of the esteemed group gathered here are genuinely excited for Mania this year?

I'm genuinely excited to spend a few days in San Francisco, for the NXT show Friday, and Raw the night after which always has some cool surprises. 

I'm sure the atmosphere will be cool at Mania, but the show looks pretty uninspired. I can't say I really care about any match on that card.

I'm psyched as hell for Mania this year. Despite Sting wrestling 2 1/2 hours from my house every other week for a decade I've only seen him live once when I was 8 against Meng and I can't wait to see him live again. I've been more excited for this year's Mania than I have been for any going back to 23, except for last year.

I'm definitely interested in Mania if not actually all that excited. So many of the matches have the potential to be great and I don't think any of them have predictable finishes, although a lot of people seem to think Reigns going over is a foregone conclusion. On the other hand, all those matches have the potential to be disasters too. I'm gonna watch cause I'm a wrestling optimist and hope they deliver.

I think Cena over Rusev is a pretty foregone conclusion, although I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I guess you're right. As much as it would rule to keep Rusev undefeated, this is Cena and Mania and America we're talking about.

Given how much they've put over the submission/passing out aspect in their recent encounters, I wonder if we get something like Lana throwing in the towel a la Backlund/Sheik?  Cena is obviously going to win, but I think Rusev will be ok in the long run as long as he gets into a program that makes him look strong afterwards.

I'm really wondering what happens with Sting and HHH after Mania.  Sting is most likely going over, but what does he do after that?

• Like 1

Given how much they've put over the submission/passing out aspect in their recent encounters, I wonder if we get something like Lana throwing in the towel a la Backlund/Sheik?  Cena is obviously going to win, but I think Rusev will be ok in the long run as long as he gets into a program that makes him look strong afterwards.

I thought for sure they were setting up an "I Quit" gimmick match for Mania between the two based on Cena "passing out" at Fastlane and Rusev winning by "submission" even though Cena didn't quit. Then I got to thinking that Extreme Rules is next month and is usually full of gimmick matches. What if the Mania match is Rusev losing by "passing out" in the STF. He still hasn't quit which keeps him strong, like Cena didn't quit at Fastlane, and then it logically leads to the "I Quit" match at Extreme Rules.

I'm really wondering what happens with Sting and HHH after Mania.  Sting is most likely going over, but what does he do after that?

Sting vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXXII if both feel they can. Sting's said before he wanted to wrestle The Undertaker. Less is more for both, and Lesnar.

Man, I just wish they still had Sting use the WCW music. Remember how much we marked the fuck out for this:

https://youtu.be/E3gExu2Mk6o

Well, now imagine them doing it live at Wrestlemania.

Sweet Jesus. 

This theme would be my preferred option but I really like Sting's WWE theme. Looking forward to seeing what entrances we'll get for Sting and The Undertaker.

In lieu of anything else working for the main, they're stealing the main template from HBO 24/7, which actually the Cornettes of the world have been pleading for YEARS that they do for their big main events.

Which is the greatest irony of Brock-Reigns. WWE is giving the fans the exact buildup that Internet fans have said forever they want, but they're so caught up in the "No, no, no...not HIM" part of it they're not seeing it.

• Like 1

I think all the impotent nerd rage about the build has me more excited for this than I normally would be.

Remember when Truth was afraid of heights because of spiders?  Barrett should throw a bag of plastic spiders at him.  Then Ambrose should throw a bag of real spiders at Barrett.

Sting really needs to cut his hair short.  His hair hasn't been a pretty sight when his matches get going.

I hope Reigns acknowledges any boos with a Hogan-style ear cup.

People think Vince has lost it but if WrestleMania doesn't end with a shot of Rollins looking mortified while sitting in the aisle clutching his MITB case as Reigns and Ambrose raise their belts in the air while doing the Shield fist bump center ring then it's time to put Vince in the home.  One of the crooked ones where the nurses will steal his dentures.

The next night on Raw I want to see Bo Dallas return and get punched in the face by Reigns.

• Like 2

People think Vince has lost it but if WrestleMania doesn't end with a shot of Rollins looking mortified while sitting in the aisle clutching his MITB case as Reigns and Ambrose raise their belts in the air while doing the Shield fist bump center ring then it's time to put Vince in the home.  One of the crooked ones where the nurses will steal his dentures.

The next night on Raw I want to see Bo Dallas return and get punched in the face by Reigns.

I am 100% on board with this. Ambrose said he wasn't going to let Rollins cash in the briefcase, would be nice to see him remember that.

• Like 3

I think I'm in love with BEN!  The only thing missing is Reigns and Ambrose singing We Are the Champions or Celebration or Centuries or Bow Down as the confetti drops and Rollins is in the corner looking like a lost puppy.

WWE-WWF_Wrestlemania-X_Everybody-is-happ

• Like 1