DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

I could see them run Cena vs Reigns at next years Mania to be honest. Or at SummerSlam if Reigns bombs

I just saw someone elsewhere (semi-facetiously) posit that this is a "New Coke" style gambit on the WWE's part.  "Oh, you think Cena in the main event sucks do you?  Well TAKE THIS!  You'll be begging to have Cena back before long!"

I doubt it, but the idea made me laugh at least.

Given all the references Heyman's made to a Montreal finish, and Brock going to UFC etc....

Is it possible that they do a big WTF finish to the main event where Brock has Reigns clearly beat, only for him to place Reigns on top of him for a three count, and then walk out. Leaving a beaten Reigns on the mat with the title belt around him as the show goes off the air.

From there you let art imitate life - Heyman cuts a promo saying it was one big fuck you to the WWE before they fucked them, and now they can give Brock a blank cheque down the road to come and fight their poster child and let him redeem himself. Reigns either vacates the title and you get a big title tournament around the time Network subscriptions are up, or he becomes Fighty McFightingestchamp and goes through everyone en route to a Lesnar rematch. Becomes a play on how hard it was to get the Pacquaio/Mayweather fight together, and also what should have happened to Cena post Rock loss at Mania.

I like it in the sense that the timing's not right for Reigns to go over Lesnar and doubt people will buy it, but you also need to get the belt off Lesnar and keep him as a credible buyrate popper should/if he return. Also has that meta context to the storylines that WWE like to play off, with the fans not buying Reigns as a legitimate contender. Also as good a way of keeping Daniel Bryan in the title picture if people continue to piss/moan about it.

• Like 1

Heavens, are you one of THOSE people?  Brock ain't gonna shoot on Reigns--the man will want to buy South Dakota at some point, and that only happens if he works for Vince again.  Which won't happen if he hurts Reigns on purpose.

No I'm not, I'm just wondering how much such a thing would stupidly raise.   My guess not that much TBH, but I'm just surprising given what I remember over the anger with Vader/Hogan.

• Like 1

Heavens, are you one of THOSE people?  Brock ain't gonna shoot on Reigns--the man will want to buy South Dakota at some point, and that only happens if he works for Vince again.  Which won't happen if he hurts Reigns on purpose.

No I'm not, I'm just wondering how much such a thing would stupidly raise.   My guess not that much TBH, but I'm just surprising given what I remember over the anger with Vader/Hogan.

Thank goodness.  You had me worried,  Thought we would have to kick you out of the cool kids' club. :)

Anyone else think that Heyman's promo about rules and boundaries will see a change in the stipulations last minute?

I dont remember the Rock v Austin match at Mania 17 being NO DQ in the build up but on the night they snuck it in there to allow the McMahon ending.

Do they casually change this match to NO DQ on the night so that Brock and Roman can have themselves a 20 minute plunder-fest and thus kill 2 birds (Roman's lack of match structure and Brock's "invincibility") with one stone?

If they just started pasting each other with chair shots, a couple table spots, maybe they each hit a spear through the barricade, maybe a brawl through the crowd ala Taker v HHH at Mania 17...

If they cant amaze the crowd with Roman's 'talent' maybe they can stun them with sheer violence the way Eddie did for JBL.

you get a big title tournament around the time Network subscriptions are up,

There's no more committment, so that owuld be Extreme Rules I guess.

Though, WWE cancelled my Network Sub like a week ago when I never told them too, so maybe they just don't want subscriptions anymore? I don't know, that was weird. I'll re-up on 'Mania weekend.

Also, there's no way in hell they end 'Mania with Brock pulling Roman on top of himself.

HHH MetsFan4Ever posted this on Reddit. Main event changes:

After talking to a few people today at the SmackDown tapings word going around is that Brock Lesnar is very close to agreeing on a new contract with the WWE. With the lack of popularity that Roman Reigns has received as of late, Triple H is pushing Vince on the idea of keeping the WWE Championship on Brock.
This would also have huge ramifications with two of the under card matches on the show.
If Brock retains the title it would in all likelihood mean a continued "special attraction schedule" for him. Triple H as of late has been big on the idea that the I.C. Title and the U.S. Title should mean something again. The plan, if Brock retains is to put the U.S. Title on John Cena and the I.C. Title on Daniel Bryan. The theory would be that two legit Superstars would bring legitimacy to both titles. Also, while Brock is gone both men can main event Raw, Smackdown, PPVs and house shows with those titles on top of the card. Which again, would bring back the legitimacy of both belts.
A lot can change between now and WrestleMania. But this is just one of the many ideas that are being discussed. I have not been told of any other ideas, but if I hear more, I will be sure to pass the information along to this great community.

shutterstock_98345939-680x453.jpg

• Like 1

If Reigns jobs The Shield will be reformed by Summer Slam. After Brock beats Reigns and Rollins fails on his cash in they can do the whole well we can't beat him on our own let's get the band back together. Shield vs face Brock, Cena, and Bryan sounds like a winner to me. You could have Reigns beat Cena for the US belt at some point.

Also Brock vs Rusev MFers, and of course Brock heels down the road to set up the Bryan match. Yeah I'm going to be bummed if he doesn't resign.

• Like 1

What happens to Reigns in that scenario? Legit question--because if folks thinks he's damaged now--what is he after that?

If he's any good, he should be able to overcome it. Same with Rusev.

Seriously, if anything, adversity is what Roman needs right now. Most don't want Superman right now. If he can't handle losing to the strongest booked guy they've had since... Hogan in the '80s, he was never going to succeed. 

I'm not scared of a Rusev depush at this point either because he's too fucking good to be denied. Roman's probably more like Big E in that he needs to be handled gently because he's not particularly good at anything other than being beautiful and having beautiful hair and a few good moves.

Reigns should've lost to Orton at Summer Slam. If he had to actually show improvements in his game in order to overcome Orton the fans would've felt like they were taking the journey with him instead of him being the greatest thing since sliced bread right out of the gate.

I honestly think the best shot at salvaging Roman (or getting him to the level they want more accurately) is an Austin/Bret style match where Roman comes up short, but looks like a tough bastard doing so. The "stand up in the kimura with bloody face, then pass out" spot is absolute money. Rollins cash-in on Lesnar afterwards is optional.

But the Reddit guy reporting this a week before the show kinda feels like WWE feeding bad info to the net to drum up some interest in this otherwise uninspiring match. Maybe I'm just too jaded in this post-kayfabe reality era.

I've felt Reigns losing in a strong match with Lesnar was the best possible result for a while now. I woudl do way more for him to go down looking as badass as possible than winning against Lesnar considering where both are at right now.