DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

I just found out today that a couple years ago John Cena actually

.  In the modern WWE.

I will think twice about ever complaining about him again (especially considering any "objection" to him is really just a by-product of WWE style, particularly as it pertains to Top WWE Babyface, which he happens to be).

He let Punk piledrive him, and considering he's spent his whole career in the Piledriver Ist Verboten era of the WWE and thus cannot have much practice taking it, he did a fine job.  He's okay in my book.

Never seen his Wrestlemania match with HBK? Took one on the stairs there.

I just found out today that a couple years ago John Cena actually

.  In the modern WWE.

I will think twice about ever complaining about him again (especially considering any "objection" to him is really just a by-product of WWE style, particularly as it pertains to Top WWE Babyface, which he happens to be).

He let Punk piledrive him, and considering he's spent his whole career in the Piledriver Ist Verboten era of the WWE and thus cannot have much practice taking it, he did a fine job.  He's okay in my book.

Never seen his Wrestlemania match with HBK? Took one on the stairs there.

Sounds like I need to see that match then :)

Cena is the best big match wrestler of all time. I can't believe the fact he took a Piledriver or two, or that he's earned someones respect through longevity alone (and thus ignoring the countless classic matches he's had) sways someones opinion in 2015. This is DVDVR, not wrestlingforum.

C'mon, man. Can you at least qualify that with "in WWE history." There are like six guys in All Japan back in the day that are in a different stratosphere than John Cena. 

• Like 2

Cena is the best big match wrestler of all time. I can't believe the fact he took a Piledriver or two, or that he's earned someones respect through longevity alone (and thus ignoring the countless classic matches he's had) sways someones opinion in 2015. This is DVDVR, not wrestlingforum.

C'mon, man. Can you at least qualify that with "in WWE history." There are like six guys in All Japan back in the day that are in a different stratosphere than John Cena. 

From a WWE perspective of course, I should have been more specific. I can't think of a wrestler (from the modern era, anyway) that has consistently had so many great matches on top of the card.

Let's give Cena some credit, his feud with CM Punk is one of the best in-ring in WWE. Especially recently. Their MITB match, the Night of Champions match in Boston, and their Raw match are all fantastic. Shame they never had a match at Wrestlemania.

Cena is also responsible for Khali's better matches at JD'07 and ONS'07. The Edge feud is great, love their TLC match and Last Man Standing match. Love the RVD match at ONS'06. That Cena vs. Bryan match is one of my all time favorites. His story lines just always suck. Nexus anyone?

From a WWE perspective of course, I should have been more specific. I can't think of a wrestler (from the modern era, anyway) that has consistently had so many great matches on top of the card.

Bret would probably be the best case but he was not booked as prominently for as long as Cena has been. I think Bret was better at getting more out of less on a more regular basis than Cena, though the Khali matches are good evidence for Cena being able to carry a broomstick.

Six String Orchestra, there's also the Umaga RR '07 match that everybody loves to bits. 

So, as we get closer to Mania and Roman is now 99% sure to win, what happens. Does Vince "send them home happy" or is Reigns booed like he kicked a puppy? I don't watch Raw or Smackdown (no Dish/cable/etc.) so I haven't see with my own eyes how the crowd has reacted since Backlash.

I really think Rollins is cashing in at Mania.

His longevity is in my eyes also a big factor. And by saying he never was a great technician doesn't mean he never had a good match, right?

Speaking of which, I was surprised that they hadn't kept Alex Koslov/Peter Orlov around as Rusev's little buddy. They actually were aligned in the FCW days.

Or Vladimir Kozlov as his big buddy. Kozlov/Rusev Miracle Violence Connection!

They also need a choir. I'd lose my shit at the 2:10 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmKM2eTuXkY

Either this or the awesome version of the Russian anthem from The Hunt for Red October.

Let's give Cena some credit, his feud with CM Punk is one of the best in-ring in WWE. Especially recently. Their MITB match, the Night of Champions match in Boston, and their Raw match are all fantastic. Shame they never had a match at Wrestlemania.

Cena is also responsible for Khali's better matches at JD'07 and ONS'07. The Edge feud is great, love their TLC match and Last Man Standing match. Love the RVD match at ONS'06. That Cena vs. Bryan match is one of my all time favorites. His story lines just always suck. Nexus anyone?

The Umaga LMS match is a God Damn classic and in my top 3 all time matches.

• Like 1

Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels say hi.

Hey, I'm about a week and a half into a Decade+ worth of catching up [and last I knew the piledriver had been hunted out of existence].  I don't have an opinion to sway yet. ;)

Coming in late, and I'm sure this has been mentioned but I assume that WM ends on a MITB cash-in. What I can't figure out is the best way to go:

1) Reigns beats Lesnar, Rollins cashes in and wins the belt and you can do the (in theory) "hot babyface chases the belt all summer and wins it back." It's a foregone conclusion, I think, that Reigns as champion isn't going to work and will probably exacerbate the backlash. Having him wronged and chasing the belt isn't a bad idea. The downside is that it turns Reigns into just another guy, wastes a win over Lesnar, and just typical WWE booking where everyone is a bunch of losers. Rollins becomes your Miz/Orton/Edge sort of weak heel champion, and Reigns achieves his destiny of becoming a Sheamus-level star. 

2) Reigns beats Lesnar, and beats Rollins. If you're going to see the Reigns thing through, this is going all the way in it. Reigns, ideally, becomes neu-Cena and transcends the glass ceiling to become the 1B star. Downside: fans may hate the shit out of it and it turns into a WM IX-level sort of ego stroke, Reigns won't be accepted as champion because fans (and the company) are conditioned for champions to be able be meet a certain standard for title matches.* On paper, this is the best option and I don't think it hurts Rollins. Worst case execution of this is that Orton helps Reigns win and then has a staredown to end WM with Reigns setting himself up as next challenger. 

*one of the interesting side discussions with Reigns is the fact that, despite the company's ideal for a top star, inevitably the title always gets back to a objectively good worker. Just to narrow this to the last decade or so, the worst wrestlers to have extended runs were Batista, who improved rapidly as champion and was great in overbooked WWE-style main event matches, and Miz, who even before the horrible WM booking, regressed as champion. 

Even Del Rio and Sheamus, who are light years ahead of Reigns in ring, had very short runs due to, well not being that over, but I've always theorized that if they were having lights-out title matches they would have had longer runs.

No matter what the expectation is for Reigns, if he doesn't improve as champion immeasurably (and it's interesting to remember that people bitched and moaned about Lesnar beating Rock 12 years ago because he was so green and said the same thing about Batista) he doesn't hold the belt for long. I mean, fuck...it's very likely that by SummerSlam Rollins and Bryan is for the belt 3rd from the top and Cena and Rollins are main eventing or fighting 2 on 3 against Rusev/Show/Rollins or some such. 

• Like 1