DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

Cena is the best big match wrestler of all time. I can't believe the fact he took a Piledriver or two, or that he's earned someones respect through longevity alone (and thus ignoring the countless classic matches he's had) sways someones opinion in 2015. This is DVDVR, not wrestlingforum.

His longevity is in my eyes also a big factor. And by saying he never was a great technician doesn't mean he never had a good match, right?

Cena is the best big match wrestler of all time. I can't believe the fact he took a Piledriver or two, or that he's earned someones respect through longevity alone (and thus ignoring the countless classic matches he's had) sways someones opinion in 2015. This is DVDVR, not wrestlingforum.

Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels say hi.

Hey, I'm about a week and a half into a Decade+ worth of catching up [and last I knew the piledriver had been hunted out of existence].  I don't have an opinion to sway yet. ;)

Coming in late, and I'm sure this has been mentioned but I assume that WM ends on a MITB cash-in. What I can't figure out is the best way to go:

1) Reigns beats Lesnar, Rollins cashes in and wins the belt and you can do the (in theory) "hot babyface chases the belt all summer and wins it back." It's a foregone conclusion, I think, that Reigns as champion isn't going to work and will probably exacerbate the backlash. Having him wronged and chasing the belt isn't a bad idea. The downside is that it turns Reigns into just another guy, wastes a win over Lesnar, and just typical WWE booking where everyone is a bunch of losers. Rollins becomes your Miz/Orton/Edge sort of weak heel champion, and Reigns achieves his destiny of becoming a Sheamus-level star. 

2) Reigns beats Lesnar, and beats Rollins. If you're going to see the Reigns thing through, this is going all the way in it. Reigns, ideally, becomes neu-Cena and transcends the glass ceiling to become the 1B star. Downside: fans may hate the shit out of it and it turns into a WM IX-level sort of ego stroke, Reigns won't be accepted as champion because fans (and the company) are conditioned for champions to be able be meet a certain standard for title matches.* On paper, this is the best option and I don't think it hurts Rollins. Worst case execution of this is that Orton helps Reigns win and then has a staredown to end WM with Reigns setting himself up as next challenger. 

*one of the interesting side discussions with Reigns is the fact that, despite the company's ideal for a top star, inevitably the title always gets back to a objectively good worker. Just to narrow this to the last decade or so, the worst wrestlers to have extended runs were Batista, who improved rapidly as champion and was great in overbooked WWE-style main event matches, and Miz, who even before the horrible WM booking, regressed as champion. 

Even Del Rio and Sheamus, who are light years ahead of Reigns in ring, had very short runs due to, well not being that over, but I've always theorized that if they were having lights-out title matches they would have had longer runs.

No matter what the expectation is for Reigns, if he doesn't improve as champion immeasurably (and it's interesting to remember that people bitched and moaned about Lesnar beating Rock 12 years ago because he was so green and said the same thing about Batista) he doesn't hold the belt for long. I mean, fuck...it's very likely that by SummerSlam Rollins and Bryan is for the belt 3rd from the top and Cena and Rollins are main eventing or fighting 2 on 3 against Rusev/Show/Rollins or some such. 

• Like 1

I think making Rollins cash in on Reigns would only make the situation worse here. If you have Rollins "save" the main event, that'll basically be a double turn to a smark crowd, and unless that's really what they're going for, it just muddles the water even further. If they really wanted to make Reigns leave with a positive reaction in retrospect, they should have had Bryan win at Fastlane via interference by either Lesnar (cause Bryan was the "weaker opponent") or Rollins (as payback), then done a Yokozuna with Lesnar beating Bryan then Reigns saves the day. Or the reverse if they had just kept DB off the Mania card (which is what I was naively hoping for till they officially put him in the Ladder Match)

Also, the last big cash-in (Orton on Bryan) was right after a huge title switch so going with the exact same angle here is very unlikely. Reigns has to leave with the belt, for better or worse. And beating Rollins would just kill him dead, cause all Rollins really have that makes him bulletproof through all the falls he takes is the briefcase. Maybe they have some big plan, but more than likely IMO, they've convinced themselves that if Reigns can have an epic with Lesnar at the same level as the DB match, that he'll win over the Mania crowd.

I mean, fuck...it's very likely that by SummerSlam Rollins and Bryan is for the belt 3rd from the top and Cena and Rollins are main eventing or fighting 2 on 3 against Rusev/Show/Rollins or some such. 

That's a lot of Rollins.

• Like 1

I'm sure people want more fantasy booking: The best possible thing they can do is have Rollins cash in during the main event, Ambrose come out, and at a key moment both of them help Reigns win, and all three guys come back together as a heel Shield on the idea that Reigns thought the fans turned on him so he decided to go back with Rollins, who thought they Authority didn't care about him (per John Stewart) so he wanted to be the mind behind the champ instead. Ambrose is just nuts.

It's about the only "Wrestlemana moment" they can reach for here. 

i hope they go massively over the top EVIL RUSSIAN!!!!!!! for rusev because hes still going to be damn near the most over babyface in front of that crowd

I think this might be true in tge north east, but not necessarily in the bay area, even w all the travelling hardcores.

I think they should go the Austin/Owen Summerslam finish with Taker/Wyatt. Only way that protects Wyatt really and gives him a bit of scope of where to from here post-Mania.

If Taker sticks around - would have him acknowledge Bray's claims as being the new face of fear, that he got lucky last night etc and foreshadow the heel turn on Sting (who goes over HHH the night after), basically the same crux as his heel turn in 2002. Not getting the respect he deserves, real face of WWE, Hunter took that instead and failed to defend the company against the invader in Sting, which gives them an out should they choose to not go traditional face/heel dynamic. Taker chokeslams Sting to end RAW the night after should they not have Rollins cash in.

From there you could have Sting put over Wyatt with help from Taker to build to Summerslam.

I know they say whoever tells the story decides what it is, which is why it is called his-tory. But the narrative of "he was WCW biggest star but he ain't no HHH!!!" as the reason Sting vs HHH is the biggest piece of revisionism I've seen on a wrestling show in ages.

• Like 1

If they go all in on Reigns, it needs to be as a heel in a huge clusterfuck. Heyman turns on Lesnar to give Reigns the win. Rollins comes out to cash in, but The Authority turns on him and he fails. End the show with the unholy alliance of Reigns, Heyman, HHH, and Steph gloating. There's no way Reigns as champ doesn't get a Bootista level reaction, so might as well make it seem like the plan.

• Like 1

i hope they go massively over the top EVIL RUSSIAN!!!!!!! for rusev because hes still going to be damn near the most over babyface in front of that crowd

I think this might be true in tge north east, but not necessarily in the bay area, even w all the travelling hardcores.

At this point, there's no point regionalizing the crowd as it pertains to WrestleMania. It's just the WrestleMania crowd, period. Same goes for the day-after Raw audience. 

When Reigns wins the title, who does he face at Extreme Rules? Seems like there are few credible heels left. Do they really run a Reigns-Big Show or Kane match at ER? Or trot out the Rollins match early?

Kane is always the #1 contender. Dudes come and go but Kane is here forever.

• Like 1