DVDVR Message Board

2014-15 NFL Playoffs: Wildcard Weekend

Dolfan in NYC

I gotta say, I'm obviously rooting for Carolina/Baltimore because I win either way: if Carolina wins, my team wins the Super Bowl, huzzah! If Baltimore wins, my favorite player of all time (Steve Smith, obviously) and easily the greatest player in my team's history wins a much deserved Super Bowl, huzzah!

But it's gonna be Seattle or Green Bay vs New England, right? That's the safe money, innit?

Suh wins appeal, reduced to just a 70k fine.

How Suh got away with the suspension is so hilarious that you would think it was written by Bobby Heenan or Jimmy Hart himself.  

1.  It was so cold that his foot was too numb to notice that he was stepping on someone's ankle.  I been out in the cold a bit but never so cold that I couldn't feel anything below my ankles and if I did I wouldn't be running or playing sports.

2.  It really sounded like they got away with the 'we can't stay competitive without him in the game" argument.   I mean isn't the purpose of a suspension to begin with  

How Suh got away with the suspension is so hilarious that you would think it was written by Bobby Heenan or Jimmy Hart himself.  

1.  It was so cold that his foot was too numb to notice that he was stepping on someone's ankle.  I been out in the cold a bit but never so cold that I couldn't feel anything below my ankles and if I did I wouldn't be running or playing sports.

2.  It really sounded like they got away with the 'we can't stay competitive without him in the game" argument.   I mean isn't the purpose of a suspension to begin with  

"Sir, you can't suspend this player for this game."

"Why not?"

"Because he's really, really good."

"You know, you're right. . .no suspension!"

• Like 1

"Why not?"

I'm strangely okay with this. :)

I gotta say, I'm obviously rooting for Carolina/Baltimore because I win either way: if Carolina wins, my team wins the Super Bowl, huzzah! If Baltimore wins, my favorite player of all time (Steve Smith, obviously) and easily the greatest player in my team's history wins a much deserved Super Bowl, huzzah!

But it's gonna be Seattle or Green Bay vs New England, right? That's the safe money, innit?

I really love Steve Smith, and for the sake of that love, the Super Bowl really needs to not be Baltimore/Carolina.  

Because I have stopped loving men for much less than the 200 yards I'm sure he would put up in the Super Bowl against the Panthers.

• Like 1

Seattle/New England is my pick. Once Seattle got first seed, it was all over. Green Bay's loss to Buffalo looks especially bad now.

Paul Allen's reaction to having home field advantage again:

Mr_burns.gif

I'm trying to figure out if straight seeding by record is a good idea, or if I'm just thinking how much nicer it would be if Detroit was at Arizona and Carolina had to go to Dallas instead of Detroit at Dallas this weekend.

1. It was so cold that his foot was too numb to notice that he was stepping on someone's ankle. I been out in the cold a bit but never so cold that I couldn't feel anything below my ankles and if I did I wouldn't be running or playing sports.

2. It really sounded like they got away with the 'we can't stay competitive without him in the game" argument. I mean isn't the purpose of a suspension to begin with

"Why not?"

I'm strangely okay with this. :)
This is why you rule and Tabe sucks.

Also, while I'm not rooting for Dallas, cause we, I would find some amusement in Romo putting on an epic playoffs and winning the entire thing, until I realize then we'd have to deal with him being the face of the NFL till he retires and also ew.

In hindsight maybe we should have seen the big Romo year coming. Yeah, okay, their o-line is better. But when your owner had to be talked out of drafting another QB that sends a pretty fucking strong signal that it's time to put up or shut up and, to his credit, Romo has put up. Romo isn't stupid, he knows as well as we do what that whole situation meant for him. The fact that Manziel is a punchline is beside the point that Jerry Jones was willing to look at a QB replacement and Dallas has responded.

Carolina would bust Dallas' ass. Quote me. I don't by any stretch think Carolina is as good as Dallas, but I think the Panthers are a horrible match up for them.

The Panthers would be the best matchup of any team in the playoffs for Dallas. The least threatening offense aside from Arizona and doesn't have the ability to stop Dallas. Dallas' biggest weakness is their secondary.

In theory, Detroit's defense is the worst draw for Dallas.  Can stop the run without committing extra defenders, can pressure the qb without send more than 4 or 5, have a decent enough secondary.

But then there's Stafford on the road against a winning team, nearly six decades of futility, and all that jazz, not to mention that the Cowboys ended the season absolutely red hot, just flat out killing everybody in front of them.  Averaged over 40 ppg in December.

I'd much rather take Detroit back to Arizona and the fighting Lindley's and all the rest of their absurdly injured roster, but I can't tell if that makes straight seeding by record a good idea, or just that I'm biased.

In hindsight maybe we should have seen the big Romo year coming. Yeah, okay, their o-line is better. But when your owner had to be talked out of drafting another QB that sends a pretty fucking strong signal that it's time to put up or shut up and, to his credit, Romo has put up. Romo isn't stupid, he knows as well as we do what that whole situation meant for him. The fact that Manziel is a punchline is beside the point that Jerry Jones was willing to look at a QB replacement and Dallas has responded.

I think that has more to do with Jerry just wanting to make the big splash pick, though. He loves Romo, and would probably stick with him longer than he ought to if anything.

I think that has more to do with Jerry just wanting to make the big splash pick, though. He loves Romo, and would probably stick with him longer than he ought to if anything.

This is exactly right.  Jerry is a ginormous Romo fan if you couldn't tell from Romo's contract.  A Manziel draft pick really wouldn't have had anything to do with Romo but more Jerry not being able to help himself from wasting the pick to make a splash.  

Romo's success this year is directly a result of Scott Linehan calling the offensive plays and thus DeMarco Murray having a monster year and Romo not having to carry the entire team on his shoulders.  It's also a result of them having good drafts the last couple of years and bolstering their offensive line.  But even with the improved line and Murray, it still wouldn't look the way it has this year without Linehan bringing some balance to the offense.