DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

I know exactly what thr rule says. I don't agree that he went to the ground in the act of the catch. He landed, took three steps then went down, while making a football move.

But if it was called correctly, then the rule is wrong, because that was a catch.

• Like 1

Basically, I think the first rule up there it was clearly a catch. He caught the ball, landed in bounds, and made a football move. The second rule it's borderline, buy the two rules clearly contradict themselves in the case of that catch.

I guess I was high after all now that I've seen the catch a dozen more times and just think the rule plain sucks. What I missed during the live telecast was how clean Dez caught the ball in the air. Watching it yesterday I was more worried about whether or not the ball bounced off the turf.....the maintaining possession aspect. A clean catch and three feet inbounds should constitute possession. After that if Dez wants to stretch for the pylon or try to smash one of those giant stadium cockroaches with the ball going to the ground it shouldn't invalidate the catch. Especially after this was upheld earlier in the game.  https://vine.co/v/ODZBIg1dV9I That's what sucks when the replay official is that schizophrenic or lazy when it comes to cowering under the umbrella of "indisputable visual evidence."

Of course, the way Rodgers had heated up by that point in the game I'm sure the Packers would've bled the rest of the clock dry driving for the winning TD or field goal. And I have zero faith that Bailey could've kicked a game-tying or winning field goal if it ever came to that. He's been in one of those Vanderjagtian funks for weeks now.

The other issue I had was that it was called a catch on the field. So even if we get into the whole "we didn't think he made a football move!" thing the officials are saying, can they say without a doubt that he was not stretching for the goal line?  I don't think so.

If it was called an incomplete pass from the start I could see why they'd stick with it, but it wasn't.

4 years, 4 trips to the playoffs, 3 postseason wins, one AFC title... Unemployed. Tough job.

This was a Super Bowl or bust season for them. And if you're not going to throw Peyton in the volcano, the coach gets thrown.

I smell someone with a name. They still can win next year and I can't see Elway putting that in the hands of a neophyte.

God, the 49ers are looking at Adam Gase. That just has disaster written all over it.

Just saw this on Bleacher Report.  Please, No.  Fangio should have been promoted already.  If not him, Jim Tomsula will be a fine consolation pick.

Basically, I think the first rule up there it was clearly a catch. He caught the ball, landed in bounds, and made a football move. The second rule it's borderline, buy the two rules clearly contradict themselves in the case of that catch.

OK, cool.

First of all, apologies if you felt I was being insulting toward you. I'm sure you know that was not my intention.

If you think he made a football move before going to the ground, I can understand why you think it was a catch. To me, there was very obviously no football move prior to him going to the ground and thus not a catch.

4 years, 4 trips to the playoffs, 3 postseason wins, one AFC title... Unemployed. Tough job.

This was a Super Bowl or bust season for them. And if you're not going to throw Peyton in the volcano, the coach gets thrown.

I smell someone with a name. They still can win next year and I can't see Elway putting that in the hands of a neophyte.

I don't get it though. Your QB was on fucked up legs. I don't see how tossing the coach is a reasonable response to that particular loss.

OK, cool.

First of all, apologies if you felt I was being insulting toward you. I'm sure you know that was not my intention.

If you think he made a football move before going to the ground, I can understand why you think it was a catch. To me, there was very obviously no football move prior to him going to the ground and thus not a catch.

No, I wasn't insulted.

Actually it sounds more like Denver/Elway has a pretty good idea Peyton isn't coming back and freeing his assistants up to use this season to land a job elsewhere before the announcement is made and they enter into a full rebuild mode.

Like I said in the playoff thread, take Manning off this team and I think they're battling for a top 5-10 draft pick for sure.

That's the feeling I get from it too. While I am no fan of Manning it would be weird to have a season where he and Brady didn't (and couldn't) square off, they have one of the greatest (and I would likely say the greatest) QB rivalry in NFL history. Still his play fading this season (though possibly due to a torn quad) his age catching up and is he gonna want to learn a new scheme under a new coach and coordinator, it's looking like the Broncos are thinking they're headingfor a rebuilding? Unless he's gonna go player/coach on us all.