DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

I am really surprised from how quickly Denver has gone from Superbowl contender to "it could all blow up". Though I won't actually believe in that blow up unless I see it, mind you.

They were always a bad QB hit away from that while Manning was there.

So basically we're saying it really is a miracle the Saints have lasted as long as they have. Or the Chargers?

I mean, I can buy that. But man, harsh business.

So it looks like the Skins will hire Joe Barry as the defensive coordinator.  I believe he is the current LB coach of the Chargers but it sounds like his legacy is that he was the coordinator for the 0-16 Detroit Lions.   So in other words a PERFECT hire   :lol:

Knowing the Skins they might end up hiring Joe Barry Carroll by accident.

I do like this from an article in the Washington Post about the possible hiring of Joe Barry:

Barry had a two-year stint as defensive coordinator in Detroit (2007 and 2008), but his units ranked last in the league both in yards and points allowed. But some league insiders say that those poor rankings had more to do with a lack of talent than anything.

Um...and how is that different than the current Skins defense?

• Like 1

I read that Barry guy is Rod Marinelli's son in law, who was the head coach in Detroit when he was there. Apparently after a game a reporter asked Marinelli if he wished his daughter had married a better defensive coordinator.

Yeah Rob Parker. He made some great career choices. That question and calling RG3 a fake black that isn't one of us. Takes a special kind of fool to get ousted from ESPN for comments on First Take.

Trust me when I say that Washington has way more talent on defense than those Detroit teams did.

I still wouldn't hire Barry, but the talent argument is fair.

Oh geez, I just looked on Pro Football Reference at those two Detroit teams and I really only recognize two names on defense (Ernie Sims and Shaun Rogers).  Did they draft all offensive players or something?

Well looks like the Skins did their "release a guy's name to gage reaction" bit as Joe Barry has not been hired as DC (he could still be) but all the local media guys are saying that a deal hasn't been reached and the team might be looking elsewhere since everyone hated the idea of them hiring Barry

Looks like Scott Linehan is staying in Dallas for a few more seasons.  This is a big deal.  The top priorities in my opinion were Marinelli as DC and Linehan and they got them both to return.  Looks like they will lose Callahan but that's not a big loss with Linehan staying.  I attribute a majority of the Cowboys success this season directly to Linehan and the balance he brought to the playcalling.  The offense would have never looked like it did with Garrett or Callahan calling the plays.  Murray is about to get seriously paid by some team and he owes a lot of that to Linehan.   

• Like 1