DVDVR Message Board

Fighting Spirit Magazine's Top 50 Of 2014

Alan4L

So the latest Fighting Spirit Magazine is out and with it comes the release of the first annual FSM 50. Yes, we're continuing the tradition of the PS 50, and I'm honestly curious to see if the list evokes as much scorn as the PS 50 always did. I was always a huge mark for the list (especially during the 1998-2005 period) and I was excited to be included in the process for this.

One thing that I think the PS 50 failed on was actually providing a basis and criteria for the rankings. So here's an idea of the thought process behind these rankings:

The main criteria can be described as bell to bell in-ring performance. So things like promos and storylines aren't a factor, however it's not purely a "workrate" ranking because things like charisma, presence and ability to engage a crowd are just as important as the athletic capability. All these things occur bell to bell.

Finally a big part of the deciding factor is the portfolio of work put together. How many great matches a guy had, the versatility displayed in terms of having great tag matches as well as singles matches, etc.

So with all that in mind, here's the list!

1. AJ Styles
2. Kazuchika Okada
3. Shinsuke Nakamura
4. Seth Rollins
5. Tomohiro Ishii
6. Ricochet
7. The Young Bucks
8. Sami Zayn
9. Masaaki Mochizuki
10. Akira Tozawa
11. Tetsuya Naito
12. Hiroshi Tanahashi
13. Cesaro
14. Zack Sabre Jr.
15. Kyle O’Reilly
16. Katsuyori Shibata
17. Adam Cole
18. Luke Harper
19. Dean Ambrose
20. T-Hawk
21. The Usos
22. Daisuke Sekimoto
23. Sheamus
24. Tomoaki Honma
25. John Cena
26. El Barbaro Cavernario
27. CIMA
28. Daniel Bryan
29. Adrian Neville
30. Minoru Suzuki
31. Dolph Ziggler
32. Austin Aries
33. Jay Briscoe
34. Kota Ibushi
35. Hirooki Goto
36. Randy Orton
37. KUSHIDA
38. YAMATO
39. Masato Yoshino
40. Johnny Gargano
41. Tommy End
42. Rush
43. Big Daddy Walter
44. Eita
45. Roman Reigns
46. Mark Andrews
47. Rey Hechicero
48. Jun Akiyama
49. Rusev
50. Will Ospreay

So there it is. If you want to check out the write-ups for the list and all the other great content in the latest issue, please visit http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/ for all the info on how to order a soft copy version for your mobile device, or if you're in the UK & Ireland where to go to get your hands on the magazine itself (WH Smith & Easons!)

I am curious, how did Bryan make 28 when he wrestled less than half the year?

I do like Harper being rated that high.  What we have seen from him in singles action have been highly underrated.  He moves very well for a big, tall wrestler playing a mindless redneck gimmick.

I am curious, how did Bryan make 28 when he wrestled less than half the year?

I do like Harper being rated that high.  What we have seen from him in singles action have been highly underrated.  He moves very well for a big, tall wrestler playing a mindless redneck gimmick.

Bryan was a hugely impactful performer while he was around and created some really special moments which are easy to forget with how bad the company has become (I myself am a cluprit of this). He was admittedly a very hard candidate to evaluate, as were Devitt and Steen for similar reasons, but we felt top 30 was a fair representation of what he achieved in a short window.

• Like 1