DVDVR Message Board

GWF on ESPN Classic 8/5/13 at 11AM EST!

Gary Young was one of the sleaziest looking dudes in the business, and think of how much ground THAT covers.

He looks more "middle-aged guy hanging around high schools" sleazy. No one tops Mike Davis for looking sleazy on these shows. I was shocked to read that he was 45 when he died since he looked at least that on these shows.

Gary Young was one of those guys that I could never buy as a face. He just had a certain look about him . I'm just being generic on my reasoning because I feel the same way about Del Rio and to a lesser extent Sheamus, for example, and I wouldn't exactly call Del Rio and Sheamus sleazy looking.

Gary Young was one of those guys that I could never buy as a face. He just had a certain look about him . I'm just being generic on my reasoning because I feel the same way about Del Rio and to a lesser extent Sheamus, for example, and I wouldn't exactly call Del Rio and Sheamus sleazy looking.

Del Rio has a really smug look like he looks unlikable and Sheamus looks like an ass kicking monster and should be booked as such and not corny joke smiling babyface

Gary Young's violet dye job during the USWA Texas run he had may have been the best hairdo in the history of professional wrestling. It's like he went for red, and left that shit in for too long, and could not afford another box of dye to change the colour again, and it was fantastic!

• Like 1

Gary Young's violet dye job during the USWA Texas run he had may have been the best hairdo in the history of professional wrestling. It's like he went for red, and left that shit in for too long, and could not afford another box of dye to change the colour again, and it was fantastic!

Oh yes do I remember this. He ended up with some awful looking pink hair that really put a new twist on his gimmick.

Is this Ed Robinson guy the same one who played "The Gambler" in WCW? Looks familiar

Wow Bill Mercer as a special guest announcer for this show.  And that Fritz Von Erich was supposedly going to be Chris Adams corner? I figure they wouldn't want anything to do with Global. 

Which reminds me, I know thay GWF only got a few more new episodes in during Spring '93, did anyone ever show the Adams/Kevin vs. Freebirds match from the Kerry Memorial?  Maybe on the syndie/Dallas local show that continued into 1994?

Ian hit a German Suplex! And Axl's hair, with the mohawk and feathered...sorta mullet in the back by his neck with the rest cut off looks bizarre.

Hard to believe that Bad Breed started in Grey Pierson-era GWF.  They're hardcore!  They're hardcore! 

It sounds to me like ESPNC started off in late-'92 and continued on until the end of the promotion's run (and wrestling in general) on ESPN.  Hence the Pierson stuff and the 1991-early '92 being the "Legends" reruns and not the original shows.  For the person who mentioned Brandon Baxter, ESPN doesn't get to the part where he turns heel and becomes a manager (at one point teaming with Baboose the Witch Doctor and calling people "honkies").  They also miss the hair weave incident, the Freebirds returning, Ahmed Johnson as Moadib, GWF predating ECW by 3 years when Toni Adams sides with Iceman Parsons against Chris, and brings their son in for a shot or two...among other things. 

I don't think it was a good idea to put Chaz on commentary.

Which show was this?  Cause I am now thinking of his commentary on the "Jobber" vs. Knapp show...which reminds me of how ESPN cut that episode to shreds.  Things are referred to that aren't shown, like the Ebony Experience's sister beating Sebastian in a match for EE's freedom from their contract.  These were all seen on the syndie/Dallas/SportsChannel show. 

Did Legends ever get further into 1992?  (Viper, Bungee match, etc)  Cause I don't know if you'll see any of this in the set of shows ESPNC has picked up.  Oddly, I thought ESPN2, when they reran GWF in the mid '90s, got the original versions of the shows. 

Pistolero was Gypsy Joe, correct?

Same one that got beat up legit by New Jack?

Speaking of guys you just couldn't buy as a face, Black dadgum Bart working face last dadgum night was sooooooo dadgum weird, dadgum it.

You mean his stint as a lovable Desperado didn't help? 

Hi I'm new to this great site/board been recording most of the stuff on old vhs again (go figure) cause its on when I'm at work or overnight. So many repeats now I guess they are not going to run original eps from 91 early 92?. For me 9/2 1st Ep was new Steven Dane vs Stevie Ray etc. I noticed on a couple of the Legends shows that they have shown the same matches from other legends shows without the crowd edit Patriot vs Scott Anthony. even showing chaz vs Kid right after the commercial break not edited like the other show weird anyway still recording the shows this month in hope of more unedited matches. When ESPN 2 starting showing the repeats years ago I found some gems that I hadn't seen in the first run like Gilbert/Garvin fireball etc. I have some 93/94 not from ESPN GWF somewhere on vhs also, probably my favorite stuff besides late Eddie Gilbert era had some Freebirds, Ahmed Johnson, Jeep Swenson Chris Adams King Parsons etc. Well lets all hope for some "new" episodes this month.