DVDVR Message Board

GWF on ESPN Classic 8/5/13 at 11AM EST!

I am enjoying the hell out of the GWF marathon. What an awesome trip into the wayback machine. Right now Barry Horowitz vs. Private Terry Daniels is on. I think this is the match where Horowitz finally wins, thus becoming "The Winner" Barry Horowitz.

Love the black and neon pink and neon green armbands for Barry. Weird to see Bull Pain getting a push - I only remember him as an enhancement guy. Chris Love as a fat fem Nature Boy is wacky, but enjoyable. This Soft Super Cooler ad is perfectly placed here since the graphics from it appear to be from maybe 1990 at the most. RAVEN IS RAPPING! HOLY SHIT! Del Wilkes went from handing out little plastic badges to little American flags.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That little girl was hilarious, totally summed it up... until Barry wins!

HOLY SHIT AIRBRUSHED FRINGED AND STUDDED DENIM DUSTERS. Bull Pain and Samantha just sent the ridiculous gear-o-meter over the top. Wait, I spoke too soon. Raven just beat them with the neon fringe and then he rhymed. Yes. Raven fucking rapped. And his flow wasn't bad!

That little girl was hilarious, totally summed it up... until Barry wins! HOLY SHIT AIRBRUSHED FRINGED AND STUDDED DENIM DUSTERS. Bull Pain and Samantha just sent the ridiculous gear-o-meter over the top. Wait, I spoke too soon. Raven just beat them with the neon fringe and then he rhymed. Yes. Raven fucking rapped. And his flow wasn't bad!

Scott Levy, in any incarnation, is gold.
  • Like 1

I don't know if any of these matches will be on a future comp set years from now and if the comp set will have a "wrestling viewing party" like the AWA but when they show the scroll of the baseball suspensions it is going to make for some great audio.   Always enjoy listening to guys getting excited for NBA scores from 1986  ;)

CACTUS-GORDY! Wahoo - stars! This appears to be from before his coma since he doesn't have that far-off look in his eyes that he had afterwards. Booker T on commentary - IT'S ON LIKE NECKBONE! Dakota is one indy-looking motherfucker. And of course, he's in chaps too. Ian and Axl Rotten are said to be in their early '20s - I find it impossible to believe they aren't each 40. Brandon Baxter couldn't look more early '90s.

Posted Image

"Horsehead Von Erich" is the best insult anyone could ever come up with for Kerry.

If Raven beat Bull Pain in the bad fashion sweepstakes, Axl Rotten beats Mike Davis in the bad haircut sweepstakes. I have no idea how he could go out in public looking like that.

So who was the Super Destroyer this go-round? 

I'm 90% sure it was Bill Irwin, since he worked Texas previously as one and worked GWF.

Call me whatever you want, but I love Native American gimmicks and feel every promotion needs one along with a Samoan. I'm really enjoying The Tribal Nation, especially when Nacona is wearing a shirt.

That bombs away knee drop by Nacona was nasty.

I love me some Jackie Goldman. I have no idea if he has any talents, but he fits the look of a manager or a used car dealer perfectly.

Also, would it really be that expensive or hard for say ESPN to run something like the GWF today? Make the shows taped, book the wrestlers per appearance and keep the production simple. It would have to be cheaper to run that a lot of their other shows.

The Tribal Nation/Renegade Warriors do stand out among everybody else here, minus the big names. The tag match where they did the heel turn and the earlier squash were pretty solid. After looking them up it turns out they're Mark and Chris, brothers of Jay Youngblood.

Yeah I've been watching since it started and there's been no repeats.

Thanks, I missed some of it and haven't gotten around to see my recordings.

I definitely am enjoying the Tribal Nation as well.

Good Terry Garvin/Eddie Gilbert match we got going on here. Too bad they cut off the fireball.

I understand a fireball, but how can you go to a crowd shot for a loaded punch? They also edited when someone said "butt" earlier today.

I was just going to make a comment about how they cut on a loaded punch but allowed a piledriver...I'll take the punch any day.

Love the ref stepping over chain that Anthony had and not DQ'ing him for it.

This match has to have the record for most cutaways.

I demand that Brock bring back the hammerlock belly to belly suplex. Perhaps without the neon pink and green that Barry's wearing though. Brute Forcz is...imagine Demolition, with a worse name in every way, worse gear, and feathered mullets. I looked up Harvey Martin and it turns out he was a fairly big football star - which explains all the football talk with Ak, and then...became a drug addict who beat his girlfriend and then died of cancer.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/1998-01-08/feature/the-comeback-of-harvey-martin/

Posted Image