DVDVR Message Board

GWF on ESPN Classic 8/5/13 at 11AM EST!

I do really want to see the fan letters that Chaz received.  There needs to be an archive of all of this stuff somewhere.  If they posted scans of the letters sent in for a Win a Date With the Fantastics/Win a Date With Buddy Landell contest in Memphis, I would lose days of my life.

Aw man, this is so Memphis that they even threw in Tojo Yamamoto. Nothing but wild brawling and great punches. I've never seen anything with Embry before but he has such facials and selling, and his punches are right there with the Superstar's. Then to make it even more Memphis they throw in a piledriver during the finish. Sadly they're still doing the cutaways.

For however green guys like Booker and JBL have looked, and how equally young Stunning Steve was, you can tell this guy's gonna be a star. His size, personality, and skill shine through and you can just tell he's a natural. Not that either of the former two have looked particularly bad, especially with Booker there's the spark that will carry him far, but this is all too clear with Austin. Nightmare Danny Davis (is this the same guy who was the heel ref in the WWF?) is doing some mini-Sting gimmick with similar facepaint and hair. Even though they work a lot of restholds it's way old-school in building heat and leading to the big comeback. Great neckbreaker from Davis too! 

Bill Dundee! Eric Embry! Dr. Tom! STEVE AUSTIN! Turn it on if you're reading this.

Yeah I was really happy to see this. This was from the GWF pilot episode tapings on 12/28/1990 The same show had Funk vs Lawler, if they show it and Doc and Gordy in a tag match.

Loved three guys having chairs, doing chairshots, and them cutting away from every chairshot except for one on the ropes and another to the back to show fat fans drinking Coke. Prichard-Davis is quite good and it's amazing how much Davis has aged because he looks maybe mid-30s here and easily looks 60 now.

watching the Austin/Embry match strange to finally put faces to the names Eric Embry and Gary Young two guys I read about in Foleys first book must say Young is kinda how I envisioned him kinda generic looking from the era but Embry I also envisioned a long grilly bearded wrestler the build is almost the same though. And yes Austin was oozing with potential he was going to be a star,

OMG Sebastian's Cactus Jack-level crazy bump is just as horrific today as it was 20 years ago. If that dude had any sense at all he would've stayed down and sell the shit out of it, instead of immediately popping up like Road Warrior Hawk in a tweed blazer because it wasn't in the script.