DVDVR Message Board

Men of Mayhem - Sons of Anarchy Thread

RonL21

I think the Anarchy post-show is hosted by Chris Franjola (I don't watch, so can't swear to it).

And I'm sad to learn Christopher Titus is hosting a game show based on Pawn Stars.  Dude deserved to hit it big.  Though a paycheck's a paycheck, so...

Happy's happy face is hilarious, Juice is getting what he deserves, Mr. #2 DEFINITELY got what he deserved (maybe the most satisfying massacre of the entire show), Venus gets her man and the gears for all the shit finally hitting the fan are set in motion. That was a great episode.

Great episode, but the kid who plays Abel is just awful as far as child actors go.

My thoughts exactly. I feel like when I was Abel's age, I was talking way faster. Abel's delivery for everything takes forever.

The delivery is due to Abel being a very troubled youth.  We are not talking about a child that is growing up in a normal, happy environment.  He is internalizing a lot of stuff and has been through a lot of stuff in his short life.  

It is not surprising that he is having problems and very confused as to what is right or wrong.

What has to be going through his mind to make him smuggle a fork to school and cut himself in the bathroom?

That child actor playing Abel has always been Iike this. He isn't playing the character any differently than he did before.

Yeah, the kid has got to be so screwed up right now it is not funny.  He was pulled away from Wendy and put with Tara, kidnapped and taken to Northern Ireland, sold to a rich family, returned to the US, found out his 2nd mom died and was killed by his grandmother.

Kid has been through a lot and he is doing a great job for what would be a really messed up kid internalizing everything.

I don't understand why that makes him enunciate 'the' as thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhe and every other word in a similar manner. I get that he's troubled and has grown up with a super messed up life, but I don't understand why that causes his speech to be so slow.

That child actor playing Abel has always been Iike this. He isn't playing the character any differently than he did before.

Yeah, the kid has got to be so screwed up right now it is not funny.  He was pulled away from Wendy and put with Tara, kidnapped and taken to Northern Ireland, sold to a rich family, returned to the US, found out his 2nd mom died and was killed by his grandmother.

Kid has been through a lot and he is doing a great job for what would be a really messed up kid internalizing everything.

No. He's not playing the character any differently. This is how Abel always has been since that kid started playing him a couple seasons ago. I could buy your explanation too regarding how messed up Abel's life has been (born to a druggie, abducted, witness to multiple acts of violence, etc.), but they never even reference any impact the drugs or being abducted may have had on Abel, which I feel like was a HUGE missed opportunity. It's fairly clear before each take he's just repeating one single line said to him. Like, "Ok, now say this..." hit record, stop, "now say this..." hit record, stop, etc. He was bad on Mad Men too. He also has this habit of looking off screen towards the director. I'm guessing Sutter or whoever is directing just wants to get those scenes over with quickly. It's a child actor, so it isn't going to be that great, but he's nearly as bad as the kid who played Harrison on Dexter. Each had this feel of being shoved in front of the camera and they're both so awkward.