DVDVR Message Board

Men of Mayhem - Sons of Anarchy Thread

RonL21

I'm sure Jax knows what Jemma said to the cops regarding Clay's alibi so it's hard to believe that he doesn't at least suspect she had something to do with Tara going away, knowing how she is about the kids.

What was with that black guy Nero's crew was whaling on in the begining?  Some new guy they were initiating or was he someone from a previous season?

I really hope they don't drag out the whole Tig thing again this season.  I don't think I could buy that Clay wouldn't tell him what the deal is the whole time instead of them devising a plan together.

Episode needed more Bobby.

Just curious to know. Anyone else besides me want to see Jemma meet Mr. Mayhem by the end of the series?

Well, she probably won't until the final episode, what with being Mrs Sutter and all. But I think the whole point of the show is supposed to be that she's Jax's blind spot and if he'd just allow himself to see that she's the one starting all the shit... it's wierd, the show is supposed to be Hamlet, but Jemma is more Lady Macbeth.

• Like 1

Just caught up on Ep1 of the new series.  I can totally see why Jax just said "screw this Im staying in the whorehouse", chaos at every turn. 

It was bordering on farcical.  Especially when the cops turned up at the Iranian Hostel set.  So glad it turned out to be a swerve.  I thought so much of the episode seemed unnesecary, the pieces are being moved into place without much respect for the back story, Tig being back on the hitlist being the best example.

Donal Logue not only being on Heroin but rubbing himself up against the mirror was a complete WTF moment.

On the plus side Peter Weller, Jimmy Smits and Tigs really brought it.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I want a spin off "The further nomadic adventures of Bobby Elvis and Filthy Phil".

Just caught up on Ep1 of the new series.  I can totally see why Jax just said "screw this Im staying in the whorehouse", chaos at every turn. 

It was bordering on farcical.  Especially when the cops turned up at the Iranian Hostel set.  So glad it turned out to be a swerve.  I thought so much of the episode seemed unnesecary, the pieces are being moved into place without much respect for the back story, Tig being back on the hitlist being the best example.

Donal Logue not only being on Heroin but rubbing himself up against the mirror was a complete WTF moment.

On the plus side Peter Weller, Jimmy Smits and Tigs really brought it.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I want a spin off "The further nomadic adventures of Bobby Elvis and Filthy Phil".

I hope they expand on the Quinn character, that would be a good way to adding a character to the crew without completely having to introduce a new character out of no where.

Man this show was holding up pretty decent up until this point. The school shooting ironically seems like more of a Ryan Murphy-esque move.

I'm starting to think that the guest stars really make this show. Smits, Logue, Weller, even Augustus Hill last year.

Am I the only one who thinks this show has been wretched and unwatchable since they killed Opie?

I thought the Shark Jumped when they went to Belfast.  It was just so implausible... and kinda started the formula they have adopted of just introducing characters just to kill them off.  I mean at this point, Jax Teller has killed more folks than AIDS.

• Like 1

I agree at this point, I can only accept Clay standing tall at the end.  Jax is so much worse than Clay was as Pres and I never saw that coming in the first two seasons.

What was the best season?  I agree I thought they were solid until they went to Belfast.  I did like Season 3's ending though.

• Like 2

Season 2 was easily the best. By far. That was the one that had people thinking it might go with BREAKING BAD and MAD MEN as the Leaders of the Post-SOPRANOS/WIRE/SHIELD Era. But then they went to Belfast in season 3, and it was...not good. The finale was awesome, though, and that gave people hope that it might recapture the glory in season 4.

But then season 4 was about on par with season 3, at which point everyone had to come to terms with the fact that season 2 was an aberration and that the show was, at best, going to be a just-okay show with ocassional great moments interspersed. Which is fine. As Kurt Sutter is so fond of reminding everyone, not every show has to be a major work of art.

At that point, I was alright with enjoying the show for what it was: a brainless, testosterone-soaked hour of puply action. But then season 5 came along, and they killed Opie, and it was like, fuck this show. OUT.

For me, personally, that was the point when I realized Sutter didn't even know the show he was making anymore.

I was tempted to catch up with the premiere when I heard about the school shooting, just to see how wrong-headed and stupid it was, but then I thought better of it.

Am I the only one who thinks this show has been wretched and unwatchable since they killed Opie?

I thought the Shark Jumped when they went to Belfast.  It was just so implausible... and kinda started the formula they have adopted of just introducing characters just to kill them off.  I mean at this point, Jax Teller has killed more folks than AIDS.

Season Three also set the pattern of putting the club into an impossible corner and then having a total bullshit deus ex machina-type ending, which they at least replicated in season 4 (never bothered with season 5).

Henry Rollins is a hard guy to use well, and Season two pulled it off brilliantly. And the way his character got it was perfect. Easily the best season.

• Like 1

I agree at this point, I can only accept Clay standing tall at the end.  Jax is so much worse than Clay was as Pres and I never saw that coming in the first two seasons.

I disagree... Clay did all kinds of crazy immoral shit, a vast majority of it was just prior to when we started being told the story.  I think that was always what Piney's character represented.  We know that Clay killed Jax' father, but I think that the implication has always been that Clay is doing everything in the name of protecting Charming, but in reality he is just a greedy thug that will kill anyone for the right price, or in the right situation.  Piney saw all of that, and it didn't sit well on his conscious.  Jax is well down that same path, but he hasn't been doing this shit for twenty/thirty years yet. 

I think this story has changed from that of a son trying to redeem himself from the sins of his father, to a son becoming the same monster that was what his father had become.  The narrative has changed - Jax went from trying to change the path of the club, to trying to save himself (and his family), to just being a copy of Clay. 

Opie was the worst though. Tig shoots his wife in the back of the head and they wrestle for a little bit and then he is like, eh, it is cool. That part has always pissed me off and I was glad when he got got.

Well, see, that's one of the big problems with the show. For a guy who gets off on being daring and shocking, Sutter always seemed to have no balls when it came to advancing his own story. Tig should have died by Opie's hand a LONG time ago. And Clay should've been offed in season 4 or 5. But, for whatever reason, he was never able to pull the trigger on either of those things, and it just slowly killed the show.Like I said, I haven't really kept up with the show lately, but as of last time I watched, I can't really argue that Clay is probably the most likeable/quasi-sympathetic of the main characters. But he shouldn't be. But he just keeps hanging around and hanging around, making Jax and whoever else opposes him look like ineffectual knobs.