DVDVR Message Board

Men of Mayhem - Sons of Anarchy Thread

RonL21

I hope they cut back on the 90 minute episodes this season. Last season didn't have enough content to justify the numerous long episodes.

Can't wait to see what happens with Clay. He's hands-down the most likable character on the show.

• Like 1

The fact that that's even arguable is just a perfect example of how bad the writing on this show has gotten. He is CLEARLY the villain, but the way the show has progressed, you're like, "Well, maybe he's not so bad..." And it's just one of the 800 reasons killing Opie was a bad idea, because now you don't even have him around as a helpful reminder of how big a piece of shit Clay really is.

Yeah killing Opie was just deflating. I know the intended reaction was, "wow, that's horrible! I'm so mad! I can't wait to see the villain to get his comeuppance!" But really it was just like, "oh, well that's depressing."

Jax has done a complete 180. I don't know whether to blame "the gavel" or the writing. I can even see the argument that this was the plan all along, but who was this guy in the first four seasons?

Who was more ruthless? Season four Clay or season five Jax?

I'm prob an apologist for the show but whatever I love it. There have been some head scratching moments / storylines but its balanced out by some really great payoffs.

I like that they are ending it though I can see why some FX exec could think it could keep going.

I'm prob an apologist for the show but whatever I love it. There have been some head scratching moments / storylines but its balanced out by some really great payoffs.I like that they are ending it though I can see why some FX exec could think it could keep going.

I agree with you. You do know that there is one more season after this though, right? Or is that what you meant?

As usual, I have no idea how they go beyond this season, but I've been saying that for the last couple seasons.

Regarding Opie's death, it was a huge blow, but when you think about it, it made sense. He had nothing left. This club that he went to prison for and probably would go to prison for again was responsible for the murder of his wife and father, without his wife he couldn't see himself as a father and there was no way Lyla could fill that void, and he knew that the cycle would repeat itself until he was dead. His story met its logical conclusion, but I felt like they were trying a little too hard to pull off another "Lem," which is still the most traumatizing end I've seen for a character. One of my favorite unsung characters on TV, and he gets unexpectedly...yeah...

• Like 1

Yeah I know they have another season after this one. That's one reason to be a lil worried about this season. It could end up just being build to the final season with little forward momentum.

Also how do they up the violence this year? Sutter seems to love finding new violent things to get on basic cable. Gonna be tough to top the death of Opie and Tigg's daughter. That inparticular was crazy.

Yeah I know they have another season after this one. That's one reason to be a lil worried about this season. It could end up just being build to the final season with little forward momentum.Also how do they up the violence this year? Sutter seems to love finding new violent things to get on basic cable. Gonna be tough to top the death of Opie and Tigg's daughter. That inparticular was crazy.

Legit nightmares material.

I am looking forward to this season a lot, I think they really mixed things up last year and Im interested to see where it goes!

I was totally taken out of the moment with Tigg's daughter because I couldn't get over how poor Kim Coates was in the scene. To me he should've gone one of two ways - total silence and disbelief at what he was seeing OR totally over the top, frothing at the mouth, ripping his skin to get the chains off etc

Instead he got caught in the middle and his "Oh... baby... noooo oh.... babyyyyy" ended up sounding like he was getting a really bad blowjob in an alley behind a bar.

I don't know I guess I'd have to rewatch the scene. I think he knew he was fucked. Plus this is a guy who has killed many people and is even into fucking dead bodies. I think it's safe to say that his reaction might not be considered "normal"

Not so sure about that. I think he has 2 daughters and both have been causing him trouble since early in the series. Off to Wikipedia I guess...

Edit. They didn't appear til season 4 but I think they were referenced much earlier...

Dawn appeared for the first time, once, in season 4 before popping up again so she could get flambéed to start season 5. I really don't recall them every being mentioned before in any specific way before then. Even if they were referenced in some slight way beforehand, a reference does not make them characters anybody gives a damn about. It was a blatant case of Sutter coming up with a plotline to bridge seasons 4 and 5, then realizing there was no one Tig really cared about that he could afford to kill, so he reached deep into Tig's bio (and/or his own butt) and pulled out this daughter to sacrifice.

I think another problem with it was that Tig isn't the most lovable character himself. I mean, it's not ideal, but *maybe* you could still get some mileage out of killing a nothing character, IF we just love the character suffering the loss so much that we feel it for him, if not for person being killed. But Tig is one of the least sympathetic characters in the club, second only to Clay.

• Like 1