DVDVR Message Board

UFC 182: Jones vs. Cormier (1/3/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Take away from the spinning back fist from the prelims and this has been one of the worst cards ever.

Hope the main event can live up to it's hype and save it.

After all that bullshit Cormier talked...

I guess he talked less than Rashad and offered more of a fight. But man, Jones is a hard person to hurt, especially with his reach and the ever present threat of an eye poke.

I'm glad to know that as a casual fan wasn't the only one who found a lot of these fights really boring.  I knew that Cormier was going to have a hard time taking Jones down because Jones is a genetic freak but man did that drag at times.  I know the holding of the wrist is technique but it's not very entertaining.  I guess after all the hate filled hype I was expecting more aggression and not....that.

Jones just has the perfect body frame for fighting, that's why I think Gus came closer to anybody, he's the only guy who comes remotely close to it. The way Jones was able to hold DC's arms, and DC had no chance of getting his hands wrapped for a double. 

But is it me, or has Jones been taking a lot of damage these last few fights? 

I thought the first three rounds were pretty exciting but it was clear Cormier had nothing left in the tank. Jones is so damn talented but I hate his wannabe shit talking personality. I bet he's really a nice guy because he's not a convincing piece of shit at all. No Mayweather.

First three rounds of the main event were very entertaining and Cormier could hurt Jones up close. Cormier's corner gave him some real bad advice going into round 5 "Get the takedown!" and it was all he attempted (succeeding once and not capitalizing) and it made his chances at winning disappear..and those last two rounds were dreadful to watch.

I would like your opinion on this...I told my buddy that if you were going to be Jones, Cormier's second round would be the strategy to do it because I think that's the only round where he clearly took it to Jones.  Is that accurate or nah?

I would like your opinion on this...I told my buddy that if you were going to be Jones, Cormier's second round would be the strategy to do it because I think that's the only round where he clearly took it to Jones.  Is that accurate or nah?

Really depends on the fighter, but that would have been DC's best way. Just couldn't keep the pace, plus all the body shots. 

First three rounds of the main event were very entertaining and Cormier could hurt Jones up close. Cormier's corner gave him some real bad advice going into round 5 "Get the takedown!" and it was all he attempted (succeeding once and not capitalizing) and it made his chances at winning disappear..and those last two rounds were dreadful to watch.

They were conflicting each other with one saying he had to stop Jones and the other saying go for the takedown. I don't know why you'd demand your already worn out fighter to go for grueling takedown attempts when he was having his best success dirty boxing in the middle of the octagon.

I thought the final four fights all had something to offer. Kyoji and Tavares both looked technically impressive but cautious. Cerrone made his point and put Jury back in his place - what a complete effort by da Cowboy. Jones' persistent body and leg work were key and I was very impressed with his ability to not allow DC to get a hold of both legs for the double. DC had some very nice uppercuts and 1-2s in the first three rounds but was shot to hell by the grind, the body/leg work, and Jones' striking.

I want to see Jones/Gustafsson II but Rumble looks scary as fuuuuuuuck. 

man, that spinning back fist was awesome. thought it was an elbow at first, but the replay showed otherwise.

that's really the only really good thing i can say about this event. well, that, and that i'm already ahead in my UFC 2015 pool. but only by a point.

Jones/Cormier started out good, but after rd 3 dropped off BAD.

Cerrone dismantled Jury.

Marquardt clearly didn't come to fight.

Lombard could've destroyed Burkman at any point but apparently chose not to.

Brimage eating it in the last 10 seconds was an awesome ending to that match.

Joe Rogan shitting all over Omar Akhmedov's performance even through a win was terrible.

the chick in the pink made the other girl look like she didn't even know what a punch was. are we sure this wasn't a regional amateur bout?

I want to see Jones/Gustafsson II but Rumble looks scary as fuuuuuuuck. 

Rumble doesn't have a high level ground game.  He won't pose a challenge for Jones.

I think AJ is better on the ground than when he was at 170, but the problem is Jon Jones isn't a shrinking violet. As the Gustafsson fight and the Cormier fight tonight showed, you're not going to beat him with just three or four good salvos. You might get him good once, but he won't let you capitalize. His recovery skills are vastly underrated. Plus, Jon is way better at making adjustments now than he was against Machida in the first round of their fight.

• Like 1

The only thing I can add is this:  The talking and altercations worked in getting people to watch.  The Buffalo Wild Wings I was at was fucking packed and it was largely due to this fight.  Yeah, I was annoyed when Jones raised his arms at the end and did what I felt was a "cheap shot".  But when I got home I realized I was worked.  He's definitely a wrestling fan and tried/tries very hard to be an effective heel.  I've been back and forth on Jones.  He stopps a purse snatcher and was a hit in Baltimore, yet he pulls out of a PPV and does stuff like this.  I feel like a fool for buying into what he was selling and just feel indifferent about him now.

Aside from that, didn't pay much attention to most of the show due to the Ravens game.  But Cerone was awesome.  The ground work in the first plus the kicks at the end were great to watch.

I preferred Jones sticking to his guns rather than what we usually get with the "feuds" of UFC: "Bruh, I respect you. We were just trying to sell PPVs." If he came out and squashed the beef, all the people who dropped $60 or whatever for the wrestling build would get pissy and call him a bitch. Also, the crotch chop was hilarious. I've lost a lot of respect for Jones the human being since Greg Jackson told him to go make some fans but when it comes to what matters he's incredible and what MMA is all about. A true artist.

• Like 1

Lombard feels he is a ghost and there is a reason. Lombard came in with all hype and realized the way he was fighting outside UFC wasn't going to work inside the UFC. So he changed his style up a little. Lombard doesn't come in guns blazing in the second- he comes in smart. If he doesn't get that KO in the first- its decision time. Its like he is this weird version of Jon Fitch only slightly more exciting/completely lame at times. I don't see anyone getting any shine from being Lombard. I can't think of a fighter who will benefit by beating him. Lombard is a complete non-entity at this point. He will need to rack together at least 3-4 top ten wins before people decide he is worth a shit. Grinding out decisions after completely gassing in the first isn't something Dana or the fans are going to get behind.

• Like 1

Its like he is this weird version of Jon Fitch only slightly more exciting/completely lame at times.

Yeah. He's constantly looking for the takedown and laying on top of his opponents for 15 minutes.

I don't see anyone getting any shine from being Lombard. I can't think of a fighter who will benefit by beating him. Lombard is a complete non-entity at this point. He will need to rack together at least 3-4 top ten wins before people decide he is worth a shit. Grinding out decisions after completely gassing in the first isn't something Dana or the fans are going to get behind.

Given the idea there's been talks about Lombard fighting Matt Brown or Rory McDonald next, I'd say you're 100% incorrect.

This is my main problem with Jones, people label him as this Michael Jordan-esque genius and it absolutely cannot be denied that he is arguably the most effective fighter in MMA ever, his resume speaks for itself. That’s why it drives me insane watching his fights – he looks god-fucking-awful in so much of what he does and yet no one is capable of punishing him for it. Perhaps my issue is one purely borne of aesthetics but to my eye his boxing is about as fluid as molasses, and he still plods around heavily for the majority of the fight, but against a guy of DC’s dimensions he’s always going to get away with it due to his reach, height, chin and wrestling. And while I am impressed at his gradual takeover of the clinch battle against an Olympian, on the whole I wouldn’t exactly call this a spell-binding performance. Three very close rounds (one of which Cormier took), and then two decisive rounds predicated mostly on control? I can’t help but drop a meh.

It’s true that every champion has some allocation of natural gifts or attributes that help elevate them above the pack, but I just can’t shake the feeling that Jones is so much more reliant on attributes rather than hard-won technical skills than a guy like Fedor, Andy or GSP. Still, I’d be better off dealing with this prejudice because the guy isn’t going anywhere for a while. Time to hype myself up for Rumble and/or Gus.

If you think Jones looks god fucking awful, just stop watching MMA.

Why is it that dudes who fight to their strengths and fucking win are somehow perceived to be god fucking awful or boring to some people?

Bones put on a fucking clinic out there.  For all of the shit talking that Cormier did before the fight, he had no answers when it was time to get it done.  He wasn't hanging his head low in his corner because he was gassed out; DC had his will broken by Round 3.

• Like 1