DVDVR Message Board

Fix Every Sport

Guest The Magnificent 7

NFL: Something has to be done with Def Holding/DPI. Quarterbacks shouldn't be able to under throw a pass and get bailed out by a flag.'

I go back and forth on this one: Spot fouls on borderline calls are way to harsh of a penalty. But only 15 yards for tackling an open receiver 45 yards downturns downfield before the ball gets there is massively unfair the other way...

Baseball: There's pace of game rules already in place. Just enforce the fucking things. That means no more pitchers taking for-fucking-ever in between pitches or batters stepping out of the batters box.

Football: Regular old overtime. The team with most points at the end of overtime wins.

Hockey: The previously mentioned 3 points for a win. Why this didn't happen after the last lockout I don't know.

Basketball: Limit the timeouts that can be used in the final two minutes of the game. I really dislike seeing those last two minutes take 15 to 20 minutes to complete.

College Football: Rule changes should match the NFL. So no more stopping the clock to move the chains, get two feet down you fucks, and defensive pass interference penalties are the same as the NFL. Only thing I wouldn't change is overtime, which I actually like in college football.

Bowling: Yeah. That's right. Bowling. You get one fucking ball. ONE goddamn ball. Not two. Not three. Not four. One. Tighten up your game, son.

MLB: Cut down the number of games. Pitchers and catchers report in April, season starts late May, regular season ends beginning September, World Series is in October. To cut down games, no more 3/4 game series bullshit. You play your opponent once, move on to another team. Every other sport can do this, why the hell can't baseball follow suit.

NFL: Something has to be done with Def Holding/DPI. Quarterbacks shouldn't be able to under throw a pass and get bailed out by a flag.'

I agree.  I hate that "underthrow and get pass interference" is actually a technique.  But I have no idea how to word the rule to make it not terrible.

One rule change, just for my own amusement: Put line changes in basketball. I'm sure it wouldn't work, and might even destroy the game, but it might be fun as hell too. . . .

Grinnell College says hi.

That is awesome. I mean to have substitutions in play however. . . . 

Ah, you mean substitutions on the fly like in hockey.

Just flashed back to a Bradley game where we were whooping up on Tulsa and Tubby Smith threw in the towel, subbing his entire lineup at once. Our PA guy took one look and announced "You're on your own with the Tulsa substitutions."

MLB: Cut down the number of games. Pitchers and catchers report in April, season starts late May, regular season ends beginning September, World Series is in October. To cut down games, no more 3/4 game series bullshit. You play your opponent once, move on to another team. Every other sport can do this, why the hell can't baseball follow suit.

Travel costs over a 162 game schedule.  If you cut it down to 82 games it would work.

I don't have a rule change for the NFL...yet. Just a geographic one. Have Carolina in the East and Dallas in the South. Yeah, it changes the rivalry, but if anyone old as dirt, like me, remember. At one point, we had San Francisco, LA Rams, New Orleans, and Atlanta in the NFC West. I really don't think it would kill the purity of the sport if we did a switcheroo with the Cowboys and Panthers.

I don't have a rule change for the NFL...yet. Just a geographic one. Have Carolina in the East and Dallas in the South. Yeah, it changes the rivalry, but if anyone old as dirt, like me, remember. At one point, we had San Francisco, LA Rams, New Orleans, and Atlanta in the NFC West. I really don't think it would kill the purity of the sport if we did a switcheroo with the Cowboys and Panthers.

Once the Rams move back to LA or the Jags move there everything will be fine.

I agree. I hate that "underthrow and get pass interference" is actually a technique. But I have no idea how to word the rule to make it not terrible.

I think you could do two things: defensive holding within 10 yards isn't an automatic first down, and making it illegal for the receiver to go through a defender when coming back to the ball.

I think you could do two things: defensive holding within 10 yards isn't an automatic first down, and making it illegal for the receiver to go through a defender when coming back to the ball.

Well, the second thing already is illegal.  The problem is more of an issue where receiver & defender are running deep, ball is underthrown, receiver stops, defender runs into him, pass interference.  

So basically, you want them to give a ton of revenue up while keeping travel costs exactly the same.

Fenway Park and Wrigley *Field are 800 years old, and yet they still stand. Most of the other teams stadium's gets beyond 8 and they are already talking about building fresh. Stop hiring shitty contractors if your stadium is falling apart so soon. Pretty fucked up if you ask me.

*Wrote Stadium like the dumb ass that I am.