DVDVR Message Board

Non-Wrestlers Having Good Matches

Thomas Bugg

I think the wrong team went over but I really enjoy DDP & Karl Malone vs Hogan & Dennis Rodman to this day. Malone works his ass off and the crowd was electric.

Really? I was there and the match sucked all kinds of dick live. It went on far too long and Rodman was clearly In No Condition To Perform.

I was too naive at the time to realize rodmans drunkeness but I do remember hulk wrestling what felt like

at the time 90% of the match and making it at least a watchable spectacle

wasn't a "match" per se, but I kind of really enjoyed jeremy piven & dr ken cutting promos and getting physical on wwe raw

OH

but seriously

WIM RUSKA though

when that gi comes off, kind of a goosebump moment right there

and that's not a non-worker trying to work pro-wrestling, it's a dude from a different background behaving in a way that totally reflects that background, but also seemingly understanding how to work

As for the Brie/Stephanie match I'd say Brie is way more qualified to be the non worker of that match. Steph carried the entire thing on the mic and in ring.

Seriously? Brie did all the bumping, had the great crash and burn spot with the failed suicide spot (NOT botched mind you), and did more to take out HHH in one match than most men do.

The match itself was booked badly because it should've been Brie getting revenge but instead it was just fantasy booked around Steph's ego.

• Like 1

As far as simple in-ring mechanics go, Bam Bam walking LT through a credible main event is my number 1.

As far as being god damn great pro wrestling, Show/Money is a legit classic, no qualifiers needed.

As far as simple in-ring mechanics go, Bam Bam walking LT through a credible main event is my number 1.

As far as being god damn great pro wrestling, Show/Money is a legit classic, no qualifiers needed.

Kevin Federline was going to be my answer. everything about his WWE run (can we call it a run?) was fantastic. 

otherwise i'm just going to echo the love for LT/Bam Bam and Big Show/Mayweather.

and Mr. T will always hold a special place in my heart, so i'm gonna go ahead and mention the Mania 1 main event.

wasn't a "match" per se, but I kind of really enjoyed jeremy piven & dr ken cutting promos and getting physical on wwe raw

OH

but seriously

WIM RUSKA though

when that gi comes off, kind of a goosebump moment right there

and that's not a non-worker trying to work pro-wrestling, it's a dude from a different background behaving in a way that totally reflects that background, but also seemingly understanding how to work

Jeremy Piven had, no joke, one of the best crossbody blocks I have ever seen.

Personally I think the most impressive showings are the ones where it's a simple competitive match and they don't smoke-and-mirrors it to death.  Yeah, Show/Mayweather was fun and all, but they had weapons and run-ins and gimmicks and a hundred other little Attitude cheats to spice up an otherwise pedestrian match.  Whichever agent that micromanaged that match deserves just ad much credit as the performers did.  Ditto for the K-Fed one, which was more of an angle than a "match".  

In comparison, Lawrence Taylor had no such help during his match with BBB.  That was just two guys hitting each other in a standard singles match, with absolutely no safety net to help them if the match went sour or the fans shit on it.  That's really hard to do and succeed, yet LT looked like a fuckin' champion out there.  

II'm kinda surprised nobody mentioned Mr. T yet, considering he was the main starpower for the first Wrestlemania and all.  He had the unenviable task of having to work with an even-grumpier-than-usual Piper, who seemingly went out of his way to make T look like shit at almost every opportunity, and yet T more or less held his own anyway.  

and Mr. T will always hold a special place in my heart, so i'm gonna go ahead and mention the Mania 1 main event.

I'm kinda surprised nobody mentioned Mr. T yet, considering he was the main starpower for the first Wrestlemania and all.  He had the unenviable task of having to work with an even-grumpier-than-usual Piper, who seemingly went out of his way to make T look like shit at almost every opportunity, and yet T more or less held his own anyway.  

*clears throat*

The Wrestlemania 2 worked boxing match between T and Piper is the one Meltz (and basically everyone else that has ever seen it) shits all over.

The Hogan/T vs. Piper/Wonderful match is perfectly fine, if not particularly noteworthy.

*clears throat*

Whoopsie, sorry, missed that.  

And yeah, the boxing match sucked, but 1.almost everything on Mania 2 sucked, and 2.worked boxing matches never work.  The wrestling fans don't want to see it in the first place, and any boxing fans will feel insulted by the obviously phony nature of the fight.  And it especially didn't help when Roddy was trying to turn it all into The Piper Show and make T look like a chump.  You know the heel from Rocky 3 had a better fake match in him than THAT, but Piper didn't seem terribly interested in doing much besides childishly showing off the fact that he was the better shoot boxer.  

Show/Mayweather is probably the best example of a non-wrestling athlete being awesome in the ring. That match is awesome. 

I've seen clipped versions of Lawler/Kaufman and the surrounding matches as well as versions of Kaufman's Intergender Challenge, and both of those are examples of a guy who just knew how to be a slimy, infuriating piece of shit in the ring as well as on the mic. 

Give Andy 100 pounds and a few inches, and he's a world champion in another universe. . .

Obviously, Vince and Shane have to top anyone's list. I don't even think that's an argument at this point-- even if they DID receive training.

DDP/Malone vs. Hogan/Rodman wasn't a technical classic, and sure, Rodman was all kinds of fucked up, but something people forget-- we were less than a month removed from the Jazz/Bulls NBA Finals. It was impeccable timing. I'm shocked Bischoff wasn't begging Turner to give Jordan and Stockton blank checks to be corner men or guest enforcers or something. WCW might still be in business if that were the case-- could've been their Tyson moment.

This isn't really the point of this thread, but you know who I bet would be awesome in wrestling? That Scott Disnick guy married to one of the Kardashians. My ex-girlfriend used to make me watch that show and there was an episode where I watched him stuff $100 bills in a waiter's mouth, yelling "Do you know who I am?" like this ridiculous DiBiase/80's Flair hybrid. He would make such a classic heel manager.

I just can't fathom actually liking the Malone/Rodman match, because they fucked up everything in that one.  Rodman was so goddamned No Condition To Work that I swear he actually started nodding out at one point while standing on the apron.  Malone was trying, but they didn't give him enough to do; which is astonishing, considering the match lasted FORTY FUCKING MINUTES from entrances til the show went off the air.  Hogan and DDP never had the greatest chemistry in the world, but this night they looked particularly off and seemed to be doing everything at half speed.  And they did maybe the single stupidest finish imaginable, where Brutus Beefcake hits Page with a stunner and then Hogan pins him.  (Was this Hogan's reward for jobbing the title to Goldberg the week prior?)  And afterwards, Malone hits a diamond cutter on... the referee?!  What's the fucking point of having a fucking celebrity match when the celebrities aren't involved in the finish AND the heels go over for no damn reason AND the faces never get their heat back?  They did nothing right, from start to finish.  It was emblematic of everything wrong with WCW, like a distilled highlight reel of all that company's weaknesses played in slow-motion.  

• Like 2

I just can't fathom actually liking the Malone/Rodman match, because they fucked up everything in that one.  Rodman was so goddamned No Condition To Work that I swear he actually started nodding out at one point while standing on the apron.

He did.

• 3 years later...