DVDVR Message Board

THE INTERVIEW THREAD (Where freedom goes to die)

Elsalvajeloco

I wonder if Matt & Trey came out and said, "We want you to play it", would Paramount cave?

No.  Paramount/Viacom still blocked Mohammed from being shown for that one South Park episode out of fear of terrorist retaliation.

Didn't they sneak it in during the intro that episode, supposedly?

I eagerly await the first movie that offends domesticly to be pulled by threats.

I could care less about the quality of the movie, its the principle of caving into threats and pulling an expressive work.  Its that whole slippery slope thing.

Okay, so does this work the same at, say, my local co-op art theater, who are known to play DVDs and net feeds of films? Can they fly under the radar or do they have to toe the line just to avoid lawsuits?

They could be reported and in trouble. There's a lot of that kind of stuff around that escapes the evil empire's clutches though. But the theaters listed as canceling their screenings of Team America advertised it publicly on twitter and are kinda big, so they're kinda boned here.

So is this movie now going to technically be a 2015 movie instead of a movie from 2014?  Or is it just being delayed in the US and playing in theaters worldwide making it a 2014 movie?

I think they're dropping it entirely. No theatrical release, nothing overseas, no VOD, etc.

No, apparently they're looking to buy copies of the DVD.

"If we can legally obtain copies of 'The Interview,' we want to send as many copies as possible."

I don't know how it's possible, but one would assume it's already out there, somewhere, it just hasn't been leaked online yet. It's the Human Rights Foundation doing the drops, they do these things all the time. They balloon drop banned items into North Korea.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/18/technology/north-korea-interview-drop-sony/

So basically they're just accepting this movie as a financial disaster and only going to release it on DVD/streaming services?  Or are they not going to officially release it at all.

Sony has to be on one of the worst streaks of major studio success of all least ths century.  Between all of the cyber hackings, canceling of this film and forced to reboot Spider-Man again heads will probably be rolling at the studio soon.

The next time a movie comes out that features a character considering terminating a pregnancy, the pro-lifers are going to be jumping on the bandwagon and sending death threats to the studio. Or if a movie advocating gun control (or starring an actor who advocates gun control), the gun nuts will be thinking they can get it banned by threatening some murders. From now on, all Hollywood movies will be (even more) scared of having something to say. Great job~!

• Like 1

How the fuck can Paramount do that? If they already have a copy of the film, a theater damn well has a right to show it no matter if the studio who put it out likes it or not. I'm guessing this was initially their idea and they scrapped it and that's what this means?

They don't, actually. They need permission from Paramount. I've been having to deal with them this year in that regard because they won't let people shadowcast (ala Rocky Horror) their movies anymore, despite the fact that they made a print of Clue for SPECIFICALLY that reason.

South Korea is actually planning to airdrop copies of the DVD into North Korea.

Credit to South Korea: They're within missile rage of NK and arguably the only ones under genuine threat from Kim Jung Un...and they still take the oppertunity to give him the finger every chance they get. (South Korea also do a lot of North Korea satire in television and movies.)

Sony cave as soon as some emails get out.

The next time a movie comes out that features a character considering terminating a pregnancy, the pro-lifers are going to be jumping on the bandwagon and sending death threats to the studio. Or if a movie advocating gun control (or starring an actor who advocates gun control), the gun nuts will be thinking they can get it banned by threatening some murders. From now on, all Hollywood movies will be (even more) scared of having something to say. Great job~!

Your larger point is correct, but those are two terrible examples.

Here's the FBI going on record as saying they believe the North Korean government is responsible.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/update-on-sony-investigation

As a result of our investigation, and in close collaboration with other U.S. government departments and agencies, the FBI now has enough information to conclude that the North Korean government is responsible for these actions. While the need to protect sensitive sources and methods precludes us from sharing all of this information, our conclusion is based, in part, on the following:

■ Technical analysis of the data deletion malware used in this attack revealed links to other malware that the FBI knows North Korean actors previously developed. For example, there were similarities in specific lines of code, encryption algorithms, data deletion methods, and compromised networks.

■ The FBI also observed significant overlap between the infrastructure used in this attack and other malicious cyber activity the U.S. government has previously linked directly to North Korea. For example, the FBI discovered that several Internet protocol (IP) addresses associated with known North Korean infrastructure communicated with IP addresses that were hardcoded into the data deletion malware used in this attack.

■ Separately, the tools used in the SPE attack have similarities to a cyber attack in March of last year against South Korean banks and media outlets, which was carried out by North Korea.

• Like 2

Sony CEO Michael Lynton responds to Obama(and EVERYONE ELSE) saying Sony did wrong by going on the offensive against....the movie theater chains!

“We have not caved. We have not given in. We have persevered, and we have not backed down. We have always had every desire to have the American public see this movie.”

“The unfortunate part is… The President, the press, and the public are mistaken as to what actually happened. We do not own movie theaters. We cannot decide what will be played in movie theaters,” 

http://deadline.com/2014/12/sony-president-obama-the-interview-response-1201330799/

I'll have to read more to be sure, but it sounds to me as if Sony's actions are much more in response to the frighten movie theater owners than the hackers.  If true, it would make sense to see them exploring DVD/VOD/streaming options.  However, I think I read they weren't seeking other release options at the moment.

Edit:
Right on cue, jaedmc posted an article quoting a Sony CEO saying as much above me.  George Clooney mention it as well; more bluntly though.

Edited by _MJ_