DVDVR Message Board

THE INTERVIEW THREAD (Where freedom goes to die)

Elsalvajeloco

. I honestly wondered how this movie even got green lit to begin with. But we should never bow down to terror of any kind.

I guess stuff like Team America and Hot Shots 2?

Making fun of dictators isn't new. It just appears Kim Jong Un is even more mental than Saddam and daddy and doesn't realize it's better to let some things slide.

On a serious note, North Korea doesn't posses the technology to pull this off. But China does and it's theorized that if North Korea is behind this, it's because China let them "borrow" their super computers to do it. It's a "well you can take a look at them and we'll just be over here not paying attention at what you're doing with them" deal. 

I like the idea that North Korea doesn't possess the resources to do this, but if China just left them a computer they'd just know what to do. Like Jeff Goldblum coding a virus that worked on the alien's computer in Independence Day.

I want to make a movie about the super genius in North Korea who is just released when the government stumbles on to a computer. He just sits in a dungeon most of the time, hand writing code on the walls waiting for the day a Lenovo laptop falls out of a truck at the border.

North Korea would have been better off ignoring this: it would have likely been forgotten about like most of these types of comedy films tend to be. It doesn't even look funny.

The only reason the Jongs have been able to get away with the whole "evil monsters who spend their time monstering" thing with no international repercussions is that 1) they've got no oil 2 ) they're relatively peaceful. 

The former is unlikely to change...but they're pushing their luck with the latter.

So yeah: Seth Rogen and James Franco might very well have drastically altered events on the world stage.

Eh, I'm actually kind of impressed by Rogen and Franco.

James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Marlon Brando...famous and iconic as they were, they never caused an actual international crisis. 

Those two are going to be in, like, history textbooks and stuff.

It was really weird watching this story unfold for me for a variety of reasons. Starting out, it was just "well, fuck Carmike. I am unsurprised by your spinelessness because I grew up in a town where you owned ALL FOUR THEATRES and I would like to bbreak the jaws and hands of all your executives with my Hammer of Silence to keep you from communicating.:"  As the day wore on and it became clear that people who are NOT Carmike were going to cave too, it got increasingly surreal. I don't blame them, but it's still weird and painful to watch trolls who may or may not be North Korean operatives sink a big-budget release with anonymous threats. If this had been possible 15 years ago, I might have tried to keep Disney's version of Hunchback of Notre Dame from coming out because I was anmmature, self-righteous dickbadger who was offended at a happy-ending Hunchback.

Rogen will say fuck it and put it online.

Even that would be the better option- if Sony wanted to both "seem" like they kowtowed to North Korea, but in the process do the ballsiest thing possible- wouldn't the best way to do it be "To show that 'The Interview' will never be screened, we, and the people behind this movie, have officially surrendered our copyrights to the film."

In one move, to North Korea- it "looks" like they just scrapped the movie in perpetuity for good...but then, in the process, "The Interview" would have just been released into the public domain, able for any and everyone to release as much as they want, in any form they want...and obviously to the real fear of bootlegs getting to North Korea.

Anddddddd the Kim Jung Un death scene has leaked.

North Korea may have just committed/discovered the third Classic blunder:

1. Never fight a land war in Asia.

2. Never enter a contest with a Sicilian with death on the line.

3. Never engage in a flame war with a pissed off American public. ?

• Like 2

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Sony execs possibly did something REALLY awful. Like, trashing Angelina Jolie and making racist jokes is only the tip of the iceberg as far as the emails go. It would wreck the company if it got out. The hackers have got them by the balls and will release worse if the movie isn't shelved, hence why they're going along with scrapping it and barely kicking up a fuss.

I mean, I don't know. I think if you managed to get into their entire system you'd find way worse than some executives bitching about Leonardo DiCaprio quitting a film or calling an actress a spoiled brat. It's rather minor stuff and I think the hackers have been holding back on the truly incriminating things to use as leverage.

A Sony exec didn't trash Angelina Jolie, it was producer Scott Rudin.  

Also, what do you guys expect?  All of you worshiped Entourage.  Exaggerated in some ways, but its a pretty accurate portrayal about what goes on behind closed doors in Hollywood.  People will be nice to you face to face and then try to stab you in the back or bad mouth you elsewhere.  Agents, executives, managers, stars, etc can be a moody, unruly bunch just like the rest of us because they are human beings just like us.

No one in Hollywood does business like Hank Hill.

Yeah, I am not a fan of the NK's but allowing this crappy movie to become a symbol of freedom denied is kinda like when the 2 Live Crew became the face of anti-censorship. That album really was garbage, guys.

Don't let controversy allow dumb things to live past their freshness date.

• Like 3

Yeah, I am not a fan of the NK's but allowing this crappy movie to become a symbol of freedom denied is kinda like when the 2 Live Crew became the face of anti-censorship. That album really was garbage, guys.

It's not so much this particular movie. I feel like the bigger issue is what this means going forward.

It's not so much this particular movie. I feel like the bigger issue is what this means going forward.

I don't think it sets a good precedent, but I really can't blame the NK's for being offended by a comedy that features their leader being the target of an assassination attempt.  I am pretty sure we'd be a little pissed off it it were one of our leaders being the butt of that sort of joke.

The thing I can't figure out is why this particular movie is so reviled by the NK's.  Not even Team America or The Red Chapel have drawn this much ire.  Not sure if that is Kim's harsh rhetoric or the tough talk of the generals that prop him up.  Either way it is bad.

The thing I can't figure out is why this particular movie is so reviled by the NK's.  

Because they need to posture. Some Lulzsec disciples come in to finish the job on Sony after 2011, and it's tailor made for Un to act like his country is bad ass. It's win win for both parties.

Pretty simple.  Have "hackers" "leak" the movie online and never have it taken down.  Then, re-release Team America: World Police in theaters.

Some theaters are putting Team America up in the Interview's place, which is a multi-faceted diamond of irony if ever there was one.

• Like 1