DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL: WEEK SIXTEEN

paragon11

Well, there's a barn burner on Thursday night this week (Titans vs. Jaguars) to close out the Thursday games for the year.

2 games on Saturday as well (Eagles vs. Redskins and Chargers vs. 49ers)

Musical QBs continue as well, with Bob Griffin back as the starter, Ryan Lindley for the Cardinals and Case Keenum for the Texans.

Discuss away...

The NFC south is still up for grabs as their has to be a winner in bunch of losers. I guess. Man all four teams outta be set on fire.

Edit: just saw the flop Tabe posted. The reactions make it worth it. The Eagles' coaches are like what the fuck is he thinking? The ref no sells it. And the other guy on the Eagles sidelines look like he just saw his mom's vagina or something.

I don't think Chicago is on the same level as Washington. This season, maybe. But there's still hope for the Bears in the next few years. There's no hope for the 'Slurs unless Snyder sells/dies. Sounds drastic but I really don't see him ever making the right moves. He makes Al Davis look like the Mara family.

Chargers WR Keenan Allen broke his collarbone, per http://Chargers.com .

Redskins placed QB Colt McCoy on IR.

Jay Gruden gives lukewarm assessment of DeSean, praises Maclin

“He’s a consistent pro, man,” Gruden said. “I love the way he plays, his approach to the football game. . . .  He’s tough and it seems like whenever Philly needs a big play, third down and long or they’re trailing, Maclin seems to always show up.

“Type of guy you want.  Accountable guys that when the game’s on the line they have no problem making the play, and Jeremy’s done that.”

That last part — “type of guy you want” — comes a little close to tampering, given that Maclin will be a free agent after the season.  Maybe he’s precisely the type of guy Gruden wants, and maybe Jackson is precisely the type of guy Gruden has decided he doesn’t want.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/16/jay-gruden-gives-lukewarm-assessment-of-desean-praises-maclin/

Is Gruden actively trying to get himself fired?

Redskins placed QB Colt McCoy on IR.

Chargers WR Keenan Allen broke his collarbone, per http://Chargers.com .

Jay Gruden gives lukewarm assessment of DeSean, praises Maclin

“He’s a consistent pro, man,” Gruden said. “I love the way he plays, his approach to the football game. . . .  He’s tough and it seems like whenever Philly needs a big play, third down and long or they’re trailing, Maclin seems to always show up.

“Type of guy you want.  Accountable guys that when the game’s on the line they have no problem making the play, and Jeremy’s done that.”

That last part — “type of guy you want” — comes a little close to tampering, given that Maclin will be a free agent after the season.  Maybe he’s precisely the type of guy Gruden wants, and maybe Jackson is precisely the type of guy Gruden has decided he doesn’t want.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/16/jay-gruden-gives-lukewarm-assessment-of-desean-praises-maclin/

Well Jay may not even be there next year. . . .

The latest installment of the Super Bob and Gruden issue is kind of a take off on what Carl Banks said in New York.  Banks thought that RG3 was over selling the last time he was sacked or hit in the last couple minutes of the 4th quarter.  When asked to explain he pretty much quit at the end of the game, Gruden say that he saw RG3 "laying on the ground for 6 seconds"  and thought he was hurt and conceded the loss.   

Eventually we just need to put all Skins stuff in the NFL Stupidity thread. 

Report: Bears likely to fire Trestman

The Marc Trestman experiment reportedly will be ending, soon.

According to Dan Bernstein of WSCR in Chicago, Bears ownership met in the wake of Monday night’s 31-15 home loss to the Saints. Per Bernstein, the team “likely” will fold the tents on the Trestman regime. It’s not known whether the Bears also will be parting ways with the man who hired Trestman, G.M. Phil Emery.

I wonder if Coughlin is let go whether he'd sit out a year or retire or be willing to jump right back into coaching. I think he'd be a nice fit for Chicago as watching last night, that team seems to need a hardass type as coach. 

It'd be pretty wild if Coughlin decides to part ways with the Gmen freeing up Cowher to land his dream job and then we end up with him in Chicago and the Chin in New York.

I wonder if Coughlin is let go whether he'd sit out a year or retire or be willing to jump right back into coaching. I think he'd be a nice fit for Chicago as watching last night, that team seems to need a hardass type as coach. 

It'd be pretty wild if Coughlin decides to part ways with the Gmen freeing up Cowher to land his dream job and then we end up with him in Chicago and the Chin in New York.

I think they would both be nuts.  Cowher has a nice cushy studio job with 5% of the hours and stress of being a head coach, plus he has been out of coaching so long there is no guarentee he will be as successful if he jumps into a new situation.  Coughlin is 68 years old and has two Super Bowl rings as a head coach (three total), doesn't he have a family and grandkids or something?  Coaching is so time consuming and stressful I don't understand people well in retirement age that have already proven to be great coaches that stick around.

I think they would both be nuts.  Cowher has a nice cushy studio job with 5% of the hours and stress of being a head coach, plus he has been out of coaching so long there is no guarentee he will be as successful if he jumps into a new situation.  Coughlin is 68 years old and has two Super Bowl rings as a head coach (three total), doesn't he have a family and grandkids or something?  Coaching is so time consuming and stressful I don't understand people well in retirement age that have already proven to be great coaches that stick around.

Ego is a dangerous thing.  

In all honesty, listening to him on the radio in Jax prior to their game a few weeks ago, it sounds like he is ready to be done soon. I can see him just moving back to Jax, enjoying retirement, helping out as much as he can with his charity and staying away from football.

Now I think it'll be interesting to see where Rex Ryan ends up...

It has become fairly clear that the Giants front office and players want Coughlin to return. So he isn't going to be fired.

It will be completely up to him to decide if he is returning or not.

I think the ship has sailed on Cowher returning to coaching anywhere

Report: Bears likely to fire Trestman

The Marc Trestman experiment reportedly will be ending, soon.

According to Dan Bernstein of WSCR in Chicago, Bears ownership met in the wake of Monday night’s 31-15 home loss to the Saints. Per Bernstein, the team “likely” will fold the tents on the Trestman regime. It’s not known whether the Bears also will be parting ways with the man who hired Trestman, G.M. Phil Emery.

Gee. Who didn't see this coming. The Bears are such a dumpster fire.

The Fritz Pollard Alliance has released it's list of minority candidates to consider of Head Coaching jobs

Ignoring the billion problems with the concept (and with the Rooney Rule)... here are the candidates

Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin

Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles

Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell

Buccaneers defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier

Titans defensive coordinator Ray Horton

Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton

Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson

Packers assistant head coach Winston Moss

Former 49ers coach Mike Singletary.

I think it will be shocking if Todd Bowles isn't a head coach next year.

I don't see how anyone can look at Perry Fewell and Ray Horton and think "Boy - your units are so amazing, I think you should be a head coach" (well in Fewell's case - again)

Agreeing with Phil,  Cowher is apparently far too happy to become the new John Madden and never coach again in his life and just let checks from CBS and Time Warner Cable roll in.

http://youtu.be/d2YLO72FhRU

(also note, Cowher's soft-spoken voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me)

Whether the Giants will fire Coughlin and whether they should are two completely different things though. Also, it's going to be very interesting to see if they shop Eli this offseason.  

The Fritz Pollard Alliance has released it's list of minority candidates to consider of Head Coaching jobs

Ignoring the billion problems with the concept (and with the Rooney Rule)... here are the candidates

Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin

Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles

Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell

Buccaneers defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier

Titans defensive coordinator Ray Horton

Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton

Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson

Packers assistant head coach Winston Moss

Former 49ers coach Mike Singletary.

I think it will be shocking if Todd Bowles isn't a head coach next year.

I don't see how anyone can look at Perry Fewell and Ray Horton and think "Boy - your units are so amazing, I think you should be a head coach" (well in Fewell's case - again)

God, Hue Jackson and Mike Singletary are on the list.  I am shocked Art Shell and Dennis Green aren't on it too.  

After his wife's passing, I think Cowher would rather stay in broadcasting.  It allows him to see his children more often.

His daughters are all grown and probably don't care about seeing Dad too too often. (In fact two of the three are now married to professional athletes)

Now spending time with Queen V is a different story