DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: CHRISTOPHER DANIELS

RIPPA

The common knock against Daniels is that his stuff is so pretty that it doesn't look like violence.  (Lance Storm suffered from the same criticism.)  At times, I wonder, is it worth it otherwise?  I remember TNA Lockdown 2006, where Chris was matched up against Ye Dreaded Mistery Opponent of DOOM~! which turned out to be Low-Ki with a stupid new name.  Daniels was in full professional mode; he was in full "try not to get kicked right in the fucking mouth while being a crash-test dummy for eye-popping spots" bump performance.  And it was one of those deals where TNA couldn't negotiate the proper opponent: that match was supposed to be against Jushin Thunder Lyger!  But, somehow, amazingly, Lyger had never worked in a cage before.  And he turned down TNA's cherry-popping offer, despite the money (because of course TNALOL)  

Now think about that.  You're told that you're booked against Ric Flair for the World Heavyweight Campion.  IN A CAGE.  "Awesome, let's do some sweet stuff out there!"  And you walk down that aisle, the crowd roars, you get in the cage, and suddenly, like a bad dream, your match has been changed to Bruiser Brody.  And it's that moment you realize: "...I'm Lex Luger!"