DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: KOKO B. WARE

RIPPA

I would say that Koko is easily a top 5 North American brainbuster, most likely top 5 if not top 8 in the world that I've seen (if you start adding Kawada and Hashimoto brainbusters in).  I liked Eddy's brainbuster.  I guess it's if you like that Koko jump drop or the Eddy "drop really quick and seem like you're pulling them down with you really fast".

I always envisioned his stupid bird and Matilda teaming up to go on hijinks to torment Bobby Heenan only for the bird to turn on the dog and have been an informant for the Heenan Family all along. The timelines may not line up right, but fuck it.

Minor story time: I worked an indy show with Koko once.  It was in a small town called Lewisburg, Tennessee that was promoted by a wrestler named Mikey Dunn.  He was a nice guy who was basically running his own money-mark show, and he brought various stars in town just so he could have matches with them.  (Sometimes it wasn't all about him; on one memorable night, Sinn Bodhi had the I-ain't-getting-paid-enough-for-this job of being the landing pad when Teddy Hart moonsaulted off the rafters.)  I was doing my Herman Crane gimmick there, and driving down with The Goddess Athena more often than not.  

I was managing a team called the Backwoods Brawlers; and, yeah, they were exactly what you're picturing.  Basically just two chubby rednecks who wrestled in street clothes (one of them forgot to take his pack of cigarettes out of his pocket before a match, and they got all squashed and mangled).  They were standard Southern heels, and just about the biggest thing they could brag about was that one of them took a great backdrop bump and that the fans hated their guts.  Well, I guess that last part is all that really matters, isn't it?  

The night Koko was in town, he magnanimously pulled us aside and proceeded to give us a Remedial Wrestling Psychology seminar.  "Now when you beat on that babyface, you gotta really beat on 'im, so that the crowd will hate you!"  Me and the Backwoods fucking Brawlers were shooting each other puzzled glances like "Uh, is he serious?  Yeah, thanks Koko, but we know this stuff already."

Koko was in the main event against Mikey Dunn, who... okay, picture a cross between Groucho Marx and Rick Moranis.  Now give him a hairy chest and make him a competent worker in the generic Ricky Morton kinda way.  He booked himself as the lead heel of the promotion, and tonight the fans were hoping to see the Birdman whip Mikey's ass.  I don't remember anything about how their match went, except that of course Koko went over.  But after he beat Mikey clean in the middle of the ring, Koko went into business for himself and proceeded to hijack the show for a thirty-minute-long promo in which he was trying to get himself re-booked for a rematch.  That wasn't the plan, everybody knew that this was one of those one-and-done guest appearances.  But Koko droned on and on and ON with his fig-leaf of a complaint being that Mikey cheated and almost won.  The rest of us local boys in the back knew exactly what he was doing, and we bitched and moaned about it until the precise second that he came back into the locker room, of course.  I don't remember what Mikey said to him afterwards, but, long story short, Koko was not booked next week for that rematch.  

No, son, that's not how it went.  He was condescending to us, telling us all the more-basic-than-101 stuff that EVERYBODY knows.  And he was saying it as if he was certain that we had never ever heard it from anyone else.  

Uh... okay?  But, if I can steal Lance Storm's gimmick for a minute, the entire "respect" thing in the industry goes back to one singular concern: the promoters keeping control over the wrestlers, and the wily old veterans keeping control over naive rookies.  "RESPECT DA BIZ~!" is very similar to patriotism: there's nothing fundamentally wrong with having it, everyone involved should have at least a modicum of it, but it should never be held blindly.  The guys who run the show are experts in pushing people's buttons, and know umpteen-zillion ways to manipulate the proletariat.  It's pure and simple Machiavelli (or maybe even Pavlov).  If I hear someone droning on and on about respect, my own kneejerk emotional reaction is to assume that 1.they're trying to work me, or 2.they're a mark and easily worked.  

Or, to put it another way: didya ever see Jake Roberts' original RF shoot interview, the one from the year 2000?  He told a story about helping a young guy into the business, I can't remember if it was Nikita Koloff or Magnum TA.  He'd been hooked by the Sawyers, Buzz and/or Bret, who were claiming to "train" him when really they were just abusing this enthusiastic young superfan in order to get a free ride everywhere in his car.  Jake met the kid, and basically told him c'mon man, you're being scammed.  The greenhorn's response: "But they're getting me in the business!"  "No, they're getting you OUT of the business, they're GIVING you the business!"