DVDVR Message Board

The "Bill Cosby is a monster" thread.

Reed

Its sad because this has supposedly been going on FOR DECADES. If Hannibal never made the Cosby Jokes would anyone have stepped forward?

I think people are giving Burress way too much credit.  For one thing, he's not exactly a huge name.  For another, LOTS of women had already come forward.  Cosby settled a lawsuit a few years ago that included testimony from, I wanna say, 7 women.  These allegations and reports are not even remotely new.  Heck, the National Enquirer was on to them 35 years ago but couldn't get the woman to talk.

• Like 1

I had never heard of the guy before this story broke.

This lends further credence to the "there can only being one prominent black stand-up at a time" theory. And that's not even Hannibal's "crowd".

But I will use this as an excuse to post the Kevin Durant Foot Locker ad.

It did break pretty big after Burress's bit got attention. Which I'm sure says something about our culture and such, but I honestly don't know what.

People love recording comedians working on their bits and posting it somewhere? Hannibal has two specials out, a show on Adult Swim, a national ad spot with Kevin Durant, countless appearances on late night shows, a regular gig on Broad City, and the Cosby bit he was probably going to put into a future special was what brought him the most attention. That's like getting famous off crowd work.

This should be Hannibal's new thing. Just bringing up little-known, shady details from people's pasts and wrecking their legacies.

"Hey, do you know that Sean Penn beat the crap out of Madonna?"

"And that Coco Chanel openly colluded with the Nazis in WW2?"

Hannibal Lector kills people. Hannibal Buress kills careers.

• Like 2

It did break pretty big after Burress's bit got attention. Which I'm sure says something about our culture and such, but I honestly don't know what.

One fleeting joke from a (fairly) well-known man will get more attention than 13 women claiming for years that a guy is a serial rapist.

• Like 3

I don't think Hannibal Buress is a household name considering I just replied to someone who has never heard of him before. However, he has most likely been elevated to a level where mediocre people with material half as good as his somehow reached. Not pointing out anyone....

Well, *I'm* curious.

I'm going to use the "Comedy is subjective" copout. I refuse to name names because people will think I'm hounding comediennes. Specifically, those who manage to have two shows on the air on two different networks, date a producer at a third network, and have a talk show for no fucking reason at all. I will not be that guy who goes after low hanging fruit. No sir.

You never know what is/was deemed acceptable in certain social circles. When you're "invincible", you get that mentality of "Yeah, this totally won't come back to bite me in the ass years from now". Then, you set up your statute of limitations inside your own head. If he knew all this would pop up, he would have disappeared from the limelight as soon as the Cosby Show went off the air.

I can only imagine what's going to happen about 10-15 years from now after living in an era where people openly talk about doing Molly and all this other shit. It's probably going to make all this Cosby stuff look like looking up under a girl's dress in sixth grade.

I don't think that there'll be as much of a problem as it is 10-15 years from now, simply because people openly talk about it- both on the good and the bad.  It's still not "perfect" for cases of sexual assault yet- but in 2014-15, it's far, far easier to come forward about being the victim of sexual assault- both to not feel like the victim did anything wrong and in people believing the victim-than it was in the '60s and '70s. It isn't perfect yet- I can't stress that enough- but if someone like a Cosby were running around now, it'd be far easier for the victim to come forward with it and get treated at face value, and far, far more difficult for anyone to cover it up- than it would be back then.

You never know what is/was deemed acceptable in certain social circles. When you're "invincible", you get that mentality of "Yeah, this totally won't come back to bite me in the ass years from now". Then, you set up your statute of limitations inside your own head. If he knew all this would pop up, he would have disappeared from the limelight as soon as the Cosby Show went off the air.

I can only imagine what's going to happen about 10-15 years from now after living in an era where people openly talk about doing Molly and all this other shit. It's probably going to make all this Cosby stuff look like looking up under a girl's dress in sixth grade.

I don't think that there'll be as much of a problem as it is 10-15 years from now, simply because people openly talk about it- both on the good and the bad.  It's still not "perfect" for cases of sexual assault yet- but in 2014-15, it's far, far easier to come forward about being the victim of sexual assault- both to not feel like the victim did anything wrong and in people believing the victim-than it was in the '60s and '70s. It isn't perfect yet- I can't stress that enough- but if someone like a Cosby were running around now, it'd be far easier for the victim to come forward with it and get treated at face value, and far, far more difficult for anyone to cover it up- than it would be back then.

We probably got two different definitions of "openly talk about", which I would not say is a bad thing. I am just disagreeing in a context based off the whole video girl/video vixen/Love and Hip Hop concept. Yeah in the 60s and in 70s, someone like Karrine Steffans would have never been famous and made it on the Oprah Winfrey show. This is a time where not only can you have a sextape, you can also shop your tape to different distributors just to make money. Everything looks fine when you're having sex with so-and-so with a certified platinum record and you have all your looks. However, when said person goes onto to another person and your looks fall off, you're going to reflect on all the crazy shit you did. Part of that is looking at all the shit you were coaxed into doing with drugs and everything else. The thing with a Beverly Johnson is she was like the Tyra Banks of her era. She was probably even bigger because she managed to extend her popularity past an age when modeling goes out the door. When you're one of the girls that dance in a rap video, you're definitely not even close on that radar. So you have to wait for the door to be opened wider so your claims don't get dismissed. Even though we might be wiser as time goes on, living in a more hypersexual climate can downplay the seriousness of certain things. It can make victim blaming quite easier, especially on social media platforms.

Well, *I'm* curious.

I'm going to use the "Comedy is subjective" copout. I refuse to name names because people will think I'm hounding comediennes. Specifically, those who manage to have two shows on the air on two different networks, date a producer at a third network, and have a talk show for no fucking reason at all. I will not be that guy who goes after low hanging fruit. No sir.

Whitney Cummings? Haven't watched either of her shows, but her standup is okay. . .I think alot of it is on Chelsea Handler's bandwagon. At least Whitney has some inflection in her voice. . . 

Well, *I'm* curious.

Whitney Cummings? Haven't watched either of her shows, but her standup is okay. . .I think alot of it is on Chelsea Handler's bandwagon. At least Whitney has some inflection in her voice. . . 

We'll agree to disagree on that aspect. Maybe I can say she's better than Anjelah Johnson. Not much of a compliment, but I don't want to badmouth anyone today.

The crazy thing is that this is basically the same exact thing that happened with Darren Sharper a couple of years ago.  He was accused of drugging and raping a woman, and the more they investigated the more women they found.  Sharper was even drugging and raping women, who admitted that they would have had sex with him otherwise.  This is seemingly something some people are really into...even when women are ready and willing they would rather drug and rape them.

What he said.  In the 60's and 70's, Cos was already an icon and he could probably attract women on rep alone even though he was a pretty handsome guy..  Why resort to roofies when you probably had women of all creeds and colors that would probably sleep with you on demand? 

Because rape is less about sexual gratification than it is about power.

• Like 1

I had never heard of the guy before this story broke.

For a minute, I thought you meant Bill Cosby.

I am old.

I was probably listening to Cosby's albums and watching Fat Albert before you were born. I prob just missed watching I-Spy as a kid in reruns. :)

I have to fight the urge to totally disbelieve Janice Dickinson because I was forced to watch her stupid reality show and I grew to despise her. I think she's an attention addict, and this is a good way to get attention these days. But what do I know? She may have been drugged and raped by Bill Cosby.

She had the first convincing story. Since there was history there. The clip of her on Howard Stern in 2006 showed this wasn't just out of the blue. How were you forced to watch her reality show? 

Why else would most men wind up watching a reality show about freakin' modeling? My succubus ex watched every modeling show up and down the pike, and then watched their reruns because she had supposedly been a model (uh huh). I had no clue Dickinson's been saying this since 2006, I thought she just popped up out of her gopher hole when she smelled the chance to get some attention.