DVDVR Message Board

The "Bill Cosby is a monster" thread.

Reed

Look at the joke he was telling. He was implying that it was no secret and available to research on the internet. He wasn't some comedy rape pioneer. The only thing he did was make it easier to disown him. That's it.

The fact that people are acting like this is something new is the craziest part of this to me.  These allegations have gone public a lot over the years, and no one ever believed the women.  Hannibal Burress says it as a joke, and everyone runs with it.  Apparently Burress feels guilty about marching his war elephants over Cosby's legacy, because how far it has gone, but it wasn't exactly a secret.

Look at the joke he was telling. He was implying that it was no secret and available to research on the internet. He wasn't some comedy rape pioneer. The only thing he did was make it easier to disown him. That's it.

The fact that people are acting like this is something new is the craziest part of this to me.  These allegations have gone public a lot over the years, and no one ever believed the women.  Hannibal Burress says it as a joke, and everyone runs with it.  Apparently Burress feels guilty about marching his war elephants over Cosby's legacy, because how far it has gone, but it wasn't exactly a secret.

Pretty much. Maronzio Vance told a story on his podcast about how Richard Pryor was filming a movie with Cosby, and Pryor was the one who had to tell Cosby to back up off the women. We're talking about the same Richard Pryor who admitted to beating women and been accused of drugging and raping women too. You have to remember that Pryor use to idolize Cosby and imitate him onstage very early in his career. So imagine telling your idol, "Yeah man, you gotta slow your role".

If the cops go after him maybe all these hollywood figures can sign a petition again to have him released.  I'd have to consult Whoopi's rape handbook to see if this stuff was rape-rape, though.

It was really astonishing to see Rosie O'Donnell being the only one on The View who actually believed the women, while everyone else, including Whoopi defended Cosby. And this is a show apparently aimed at female viewers, but Whoopi is trying to spin the "they're all lying" line.

Yes: Rosie O'Donnell came off as wholly sympathetic. That's how crazy things have gotten.

This is the same Whoopi who defended Mel Gibson after all his racist shit came out. Her logic seems to be "if I personally didn't witness it, I don't believe it".

Wait, Richard Pryor was a rapist too?

OK, that settles it: ANYONE who was even remotely famous in the 70s and 80s is an evil sexual predator.

Think Betty White is this nice, innocent old lady? Nope. She kept young men trapped in her sex dungeon. She still keeps them there.

• Like 1

If the cops go after him maybe all these hollywood figures can sign a petition again to have him released.  I'd have to consult Whoopi's rape handbook to see if this stuff was rape-rape, though.

It was really astonishing to see Rosie O'Donnell being the only one on The View who actually believed the women, while everyone else, including Whoopi defended Cosby. And this is a show apparently aimed at female viewers, but Whoopi is trying to spin the "they're all lying" line.

Yes: Rosie O'Donnell came off as wholly sympathetic. That's how crazy things have gotten.

This is the same Whoopi who defended Mel Gibson after all his racist shit came out. Her logic seems to be "if I personally didn't witness it, I don't believe it".

Not defending Gibson but getting drunk and saying stupid shit is a whole lot different from raping women. Both are bad, but yeah...

Whoopi's constant suspicion of rape victims is, however, heinous.

I'm all for everyone having his/her day in court but Jesus Christ On A Tricycle! What the fuck is going on? Its one thing is Jane Doe from Nowhere is trying to get her name out there to sell a book and/or make some quick cash. Its a totally other thing when NO ONE (expect for one woman recently) is asking for any money. Some of these women coming forward have ZERO to gain in fame, money, whatever. I think Cosby did it, but at the end of the day- the man deserves his day in court just like all of us. But FUCK!

I think the majority of women are telling the truth, but a few things have rubbed me against the grain:

1) One of his accusers put out there that she was coerced into sex with Cosby, and I forget how she said it, but she indicated that she didn't call him out because she figured it would help further her Hollywood career. Ok ... that's the lady you *don't* want in your class action suit.

2) I can't say I give credence to Janice Dickinson. Her E! interview where she "bawled her eyes out" (with nary a tear to be shed, but their absence was made up for in the abundance of shitty acting; "all those poor women who had to go thru what *I* went thru" ...) was the first salvo in painting her to be a glorywhore. The latest co-opting of this "I can't breathe" meme to further her time in the spotlight of newfound relevance borders on repulsive.

I wish Michel Martin's "Tell Me More" was still on the air to see the spin she & her panelists would take ... but only for it to still get cancelled inevitably anyway, because it was horrible.

Interesting, the convergence of this and the UVA rape story scandal. Time Magazine will have a hard time deciding whether to call 2014 "The Year of the Rape" or "The Year of the Police Oopsie-Daisies."

I never get the instinct that so many people seem to have that tells them that all rape victims are lying.  It is insane that so many people from the press to the police who just refuse to believe that anyone has ever raped anyone.  There are 20 women who claim that Bill Cosby raped them, and I'd be willing to bet more people believe that all of them are lying than any of them are telling the truth.  I just don't understand it.

When money is involved people start getting skeptical. Outside of the money, people are usually shocked by rape/molestation claims, refuse to believe them (as its so evil), and start to play Monday-Morning-Quarterback ("If it was me, I would have bit his dick off and drove to the police stations"). Plus when you factor in the type of society we live in (where women trump up a lot of shit if they are  not attracted to a man [ i.e. saying 'hello' is now considered sexual harassment in some circles] ), you then have a recipe for denial that makes Holocaust deniers sound like Elmo interviewing Kevin Clash.

People have also grown up about Bill Cosby. Bill Cosby has sold a gimmick for over 40 years. People have been worked for decades. It's like finding out for the first time that wrestling is fake. Stages of denial my friend.

Another thing I find weird about one (or more?) of Cosby's accusers is that after he had raped/molested her- she continued to have an on-again-off-again consensual relationship with Cosby. Again, its behavior like this that has people calling things into question.

I think one thing we've seen this year is that the victim seemingly has to be 100% innocent for the crime that was done to them to be valid.

Were some of these women going to Cosby's house with the intention of cosying up to him and maybe seeing if he could help their career? Sure. Janice Dickensen all but said that was why she went to see him even though she didn't feel like it: she wanted to get into acting. He could have helped.

Moral behavior when the guy is married? Not really. But that doesn't make it OK for him to drug and rape them. Some of the women probably did go there intending to do something with him (unless they were very naive), but he removed their consent when he drugged them and did whatever the hell he wanted to them.

• Like 2

Its sad because this has supposedly been going on FOR DECADES. If Hannibal never made the Cosby Jokes would anyone have stepped forward?

Well...Cosby was getting a new sitcom on NBC and with him doing all the press it may very well have come up.

I think there was one woman everybody's known about for years who was drugged and raped, paid some hush money and that was that. No one knew there was more than that. It seems, sadly, that no one gave a shit about that for years, maybe decades, and now we're a bit more "enlightened." Now it's like "yeah, he did that, didn't he? GET HIM!" and the other people start coming out of the woodwork. What would've been the reaction to the Ray Rice thng a decade ago?

I have to fight the urge to totally disbelieve Janice Dickinson because I was forced to watch her stupid reality show and I grew to despise her. I think she's an attention addict, and this is a good way to get attention these days. But what do I know? She may have been drugged and raped by Bill Cosby.

Funny thing is, I loved his Comedy Central special, and his interview on Colbert (before all this stuff went crazy) was awesome. Hell of a performer. I was looking forward to trying to find a way to watch the Netflix special. I still don't see why he had to resort to drugging and raping, if true.

If one woman cries wolf then there is the tendency to be somewhat dubious of what she's saying, but there are a lot of women out there with very similar accounts.  That is a pattern and they can't all be lying.

If one woman cries wolf then there is the tendency to be somewhat dubious of what she's saying, but there are a lot of women out there with very similar accounts.  That is a pattern and they can't all be lying.

I'm not saying anyone's lying, and I'm just trying to get over my knee-jerk reaction that an attention-seeker whom I don't much care for like Janice Dickinson is just seeking attention. I don't think that about the rest of the women, so why not give her the benefit of the doubt? What would America say if Latoya Jackson or the Octomom suddenly said "yep, me too"? Maybe the mom from Honey Boo-Boo could join in.

The crazy thing is that this is basically the same exact thing that happened with Darren Sharper a couple of years ago.  He was accused of drugging and raping a woman, and the more they investigated the more women they found.  Sharper was even drugging and raping women, who admitted that they would have had sex with him otherwise.  This is seemingly something some people are really into...even when women are ready and willing they would rather drug and rape them.

• Like 1

The crazy thing is that this is basically the same exact thing that happened with Darren Sharper a couple of years ago.  He was accused of drugging and raping a woman, and the more they investigated the more women they found.  Sharper was even drugging and raping women, who admitted that they would have had sex with him otherwise.  This is seemingly something some people are really into...even when women are ready and willing they would rather drug and rape them.

What he said.  In the 60's and 70's, Cos was already an icon and he could probably attract women on rep alone even though he was a pretty handsome guy..  Why resort to roofies when you probably had women of all creeds and colors that would probably sleep with you on demand? 

The use of a modus operandi screams "serial predator."  The Playboy Mansion was a hunting ground.  He got to groom his victims.

What he said.  In the 60's and 70's, Cos was already an icon and he could probably attract women on rep alone even though he was a pretty handsome guy..  Why resort to roofies when you probably had women of all creeds and colors that would probably sleep with you on demand?

You never know what is/was deemed acceptable in certain social circles. When you're "invincible", you get that mentality of "Yeah, this totally won't come back to bite me in the ass years from now". Then, you set up your statute of limitations inside your own head. If he knew all this would pop up, he would have disappeared from the limelight as soon as the Cosby Show went off the air.

I can only imagine what's going to happen about 10-15 years from now after living in an era where people openly talk about doing Molly and all this other shit. It's probably going to make all this Cosby stuff look like looking up under a girl's dress in sixth grade.

The use of a modus operandi screams "serial predator."  The Playboy Mansion was a hunting ground.  He got to groom his victims.

This is the really disturbing thought I keep coming back to as well.  Just as you say, he was rich, famous, not bad looking.  The guy would have no trouble getting his pick of women.  Which means drugging and raping women is just something he's REALLY into. 

I'll say it again for emphasis:

Bill Cosby's particular fetish, the thing that really gets him off, is drugging women and then raping them. 

Holy shit that's not too many steps from "it places the lotion in the basket" territory.

• Like 3

I have to fight the urge to totally disbelieve Janice Dickinson because I was forced to watch her stupid reality show and I grew to despise her. I think she's an attention addict, and this is a good way to get attention these days. But what do I know? She may have been drugged and raped by Bill Cosby.

She had the first convincing story. Since there was history there. The clip of her on Howard Stern in 2006 showed this wasn't just out of the blue. How were you forced to watch her reality show? 

Yeah, go back and listen to Stern in 2006. Dickenson all but says Cosby raped her.

Seriously though: do people actually think women can have career boosts from saying they were raped? I mean, what? Who does that even apply to? No one wants this kind of attention.

Gone Girl was a good movie, but my God, does it appear have filled people with the most inane ideas.