DVDVR Message Board

The "Bill Cosby is a monster" thread.

Reed

Beverly Johnson probably put the final nail in the coffin.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2014/12/bill-cosby-beverly-johnson-story?mbid=social_retweet

This is very similar to Jimmy Savile: Seemingly everyone knew but it was always hushed up. Although at least Cosby is still alive to his career fall apart, so that's something.

I feel kinda bad for the kid who played Theo's residual checks. :(

Guest The Magnificent 7

If the cops go after him maybe all these hollywood figures can sign a petition again to have him released.  I'd have to consult Whoopi's rape handbook to see if this stuff was rape-rape, though.

So is there NO way the cops can touch him?

There's gotta be something they can nail him for. The guy is a predator so it's hard to believe he's just stopped doing what he was doing for the past few years.

Have you considered vigilante justice?

• Like 1

If the cops go after him maybe all these hollywood figures can sign a petition again to have him released.  I'd have to consult Whoopi's rape handbook to see if this stuff was rape-rape, though.

It was really astonishing to see Rosie O'Donnell being the only one on The View who actually believed the women, while everyone else, including Whoopi defended Cosby. And this is a show apparently aimed at female viewers, but Whoopi is trying to spin the "they're all lying" line.

Yes: Rosie O'Donnell came off as wholly sympathetic. That's how crazy things have gotten.

Guest The Magnificent 7

It was really astonishing to see Rosie O'Donnell being the only one on The View who actually believed the women, while everyone else, including Whoopi defended Cosby. And this is a show apparently aimed at female viewers, but Whoopi is trying to spin the "they're all lying" line.

Yes: Rosie O'Donnell came off as wholly sympathetic. That's how crazy things have gotten.

I was thinking of the Polanski stuff with my comment.  I'm not surprised that history repeats itself, though.

Polanski got a standing ovation at the Oscars, never forget.

Not to defend anyone, but I think a lot of people think that's still some statutory rape deal. Like Polanski just accidentally had consensual sex with an underage girl and was hounded out of the country. The truth is, of course, much more horrifying. 

For example, Emma Thompson originally signed the petition insisting on his release then changed her mind when she actually read the details and asked for her name to be removed.  

I never get the instinct that so many people seem to have that tells them that all rape victims are lying.  It is insane that so many people from the press to the police who just refuse to believe that anyone has ever raped anyone.  There are 20 women who claim that Bill Cosby raped them, and I'd be willing to bet more people believe that all of them are lying than any of them are telling the truth.  I just don't understand it.

• Like 1

Not to defend anyone, but I think a lot of people think that's still some statutory rape deal. Like Polanski just accidentally had consensual sex with an underage girl and was hounded out of the country. The truth is, of course, much more horrifying. 

For example, Emma Thompson originally signed the petition insisting on his release then changed her mind when she actually read the details and asked for her name to be removed.  

I wonder how much slack people give him also because of the Manson murders. That would fuck your head up as well. Not defending him at all, btw, just asking. . . 

Guest The Magnificent 7

I wonder how much slack people give him also because of the Manson murders. That would fuck your head up as well. Not defending him at all, btw, just asking. . . 

By that logic, since Cosby's son died he's entitled to rape 2 people max.  Anything more than that would be excessive, of course. 

I understand you aren't making that argument, but that argument can be discounted out of hand.

I think someone like Patton Oswalt comes off as a bit of hypocrite when he makes a big deal of loudly disowning Cosby then admits later on in a podcast it was an open secret in comedy and most knew. OK, so why did you wait until it was "safe" to make a moral stand or speak out?

And I like Patton too. But it feels like him and a bunch of other celebrities are just grandstanding. You spend years turning a blind eye only now suddenly it's a huge deal.

By that logic, since Cosby's son died he's entitled to rape 2 people max.  Anything more than that would be excessive, of course. 

I understand you aren't making that argument, but that argument can be discounted out of hand.

That's fair. Just when thinking of Polanski, that comes to mind as well as his rape charges. .  .consider it withdrawn.

I guess Fat Albert is no more, like school on Saturday.

No class.

Two things:

1. If you're Bill Cosby, why are you drugging and raping women when you'd think it'd be fairly easy for you to get some action on the side, you're Bill Cosby? Why go through the potential serious legal trouble of drugging and raping them?

2. PLEASE DON'T READ "BLAMING THE VICTIM" INTO THIS DAMMIT, I MEAN IT: Shouldn't the victim in the Vanity Fair piece have felt weird about having a two-line part in the TV show and being invited by the millionaire famous star to his house twice to run through her two lines? How often does this happen? I know he's a "fatherly figure" and whatnot and she thought he wanted to help her out, but wouldn't you think something was weird about that? I probably would've been thinking "maybe dude wants to sleep with me," but I never would've thought "maybe he'll drug me and rape me."

I think someone like Patton Oswalt comes off as a bit of hypocrite when he makes a big deal of loudly disowning Cosby then admits later on in a podcast it was an open secret in comedy and most knew. OK, so why did you wait until it was "safe" to make a moral stand or speak out?

Most comedians don't want to blow up anyone's spot. It's the same way with joke thieves. Until you have empirical evidence and someone takes it on first, you're not going to hear a peep unless it's on radio or a podcast. Some are more confrontational than others, but there aren't a ton of legitimate bridge burners in comedy (at least on the mainstream level). Also, litigation is a motherfucker.

Look at the joke he was telling. He was implying that it was no secret and available to research on the internet. He wasn't some comedy rape pioneer. The only thing he did was make it easier to disown him. That's it.