DVDVR Message Board

Recommendations for a non-reader

KENTA

Hi there.

As there seems to be quite some people here who are big into reading here, I want to ask what books should be read by someone who doesn't really have an habit of reading, or rather, if you could recommend, let's say, 3 books for someone to start with, what would they be?

Also, since as I stated before, I don't have an habit of reading so I'd rather have recommendations of books that stand on their own instead of starting with a series containing a lot of them, as I think it would be overwhelming.

Well, since I haven't said what genres I like (and that obviously would make it very hard to give suggestions), I'd like to try fantasy (specifically medieval era) books and also police/mystery/thriller type books, but the problem with it is the majority of titles that relate to medieval era normally are part of series and that's not what I'm looking for at the moment.

Thanks.

The Hedge Knight is short, actually a novella rather than a novel.  It is part of a series, the Tales of Dunk and Egg, set earlier in the same universe as A Song of Ice and Fire.  You can read the first book as a self-contained story if you wanted to. 

You can probably look to some other first books of series which stand on their own (s they often do when they are written and published with no deal for following books in place).  The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley was originally a stand-alone novel that was popular enough to inspire a series.

The Princess Bride is a funnier book than it is a movie.  If you've seen the film, that might make it an easier read than other books.