DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 12/12/14

victor

Doesn't look like a bad show, and the Ascension are coming.

* The Usos defeated Tyson Kidd and Cesaro. A vignette for The Ascension aired after Kidd and Cesaro made their entrance. Damien Sandow and The Miz were on commentary. Miz got up at one point to flirt with Naomi.

* Nikki Bella defeated Alicia Fox.

* Jack Swagger defeated Titus O’Neil with the Patriot Lock. Titus appeared to be hut after the match but could have just been selling the submission.

* Big E defeated Goldust.

* John Cena comes out to a big pop. Cena talked about TLC and Seth Rollins interrupted. They had words about the Tables Match on Sunday.

* The crowd has been dead but are waking up some for the main event. Ryback, Dolph Ziggler and Erick Rowan defeated Luke Harper, Big Show and Kane. Ryback hit Shellshocked on Harper for the win. There was chaos after the match as the ladders and chairs that were around the ring were used by the babyfaces against the heels. Ziggler did a huge spot with the ladder, sending it outside onto Show, Kane and Harper.

Yeah, I zoned out when they started with Cena and Rollins' Talking Points Segment, but that was a good Ambrose promo. Cesaro bringing up the brass ring (and Roman at the Slammies) was a surprise but it made him and Kidd come off like total jobbers for immediately losing after a statement like that. I actually didn't watch the whole match because I knew the outcome. It's just sad.

Yeah, I zoned out when they started with Cena and Rollins' Talking Points Segment, but that was a good Ambrose promo. Cesaro bringing up the brass ring (and Roman at the Slammies) was a surprise but it made him and Kidd come off like total jobbers for immediately losing after a statement like that. I actually didn't watch the whole match because I knew the outcome. It's just sad.

Watching Cesaro talk about grabbing the brass ring right before he goes out with jobber 4 life Tyson Kidd reminded me of the badass promos teams like the State Patrol used to cut in WCW- right before they went out and got murdered by a team that was actually over (if you want to pretend the American Males were over).

• Like 2

The Ascension just became THE BEST THING. Super pumped to be in the wasteland.

Spoken like someone who's never actually seen any of their matches.

Aren't they that tag team that debut on main event and it fell so flat, it was never spoken of again?

In NXT they are fine. Not overly good but they serve a purpose and can be carried to fun matches. 

This will completely fuck them over. 

I don't really care about them as much but it's a sign to me that Vince thinks the NXT guys need a main roster tweak. Terrified to hear news that anyone I actually like gets a call up.

Yeah, for real. The Ascension as characters in NXT were lame as hell. The Ascension were never going to be huge stars in the WWE, particularly as currently positioned. On NXT they're these world beaters who look like monsters (especially Conor) compared to the rest of the roster. On WWE, I don't think they're even as big as the Usos.

On NXT, they said a bunch of lame dumb stuff. But this? They're saying the same type of stuff but it's packaged better. They sound like insane 80s wrestlers. That totally stands out and might catch on. It might not, but whatever they were in NXT wasn't going to catch on, either.

Some NXT call-ups do need some tweaks. Emma fell flat on her face doing her same exact shtick, for starters. It killed at Full Sail, the most supportive audience of all-time (non-Chikara division). But some of the call-ups did have some tweaks and ruled it. They redid The Wyatts entrance when they debuted and it's one of the all-time great entrances. They redid Bo Dallas's introduction and it made his ridiculousness even more heightened.

They essentially re-edited The Ascension and tightened them up. I now get what and they are, all in 45 seconds. I never got what they were in NXT.

And the Ambrose interview ruled. And that feud has been great. The first part: Bray playing mind games by bringing up Ambrose's troubled family history. The second: Ambrose being the first guy to figure out how to get to Bray emotionally, especially by breaking the sacred chair and then doing his own parlor tricks with a smoking (!) ambulance.

The Ascension seem to be now or never like Adam Rose. They've both been in NXT/FCW so long it's like WWE's version of developmental hell. They improved as much as they were going to in NXT and it was time to either bring them up or cut your losses.

Their Smackdown promo made me wonder if Vince and the writers suddenly realized there's a new Mad Max movie being released, or if the writers finally realized Vince owned footage of the Road Warriors and just discovered the Roadies.

Forget Fuji.  Who is the modern day Mr. Paul Ellering?

(God, the only manager who comes to mind is Truth Martini.  I am sad.)

Man that shit ruled whats wrong with you people

Of course the guy with Troma in his user name and the guy with an avatar from a Godfrey Ho movie get it

You don't have to be any good at anything to be awesome you just have to be awesome

The problem isn't the rest of us don't "get it". It's not that cerebral; we all understand the gimmick. The problem is that once the bell rings, they're still the same terrible tag team they were in NXT. Viktor is okay, but Conor is terrible, and neither of them have the charisma the Road Warriors, Demolition, or Powers of Pain had, and they're not as fun to watch, either. At best, they're better than the Blade Runners.