DVDVR Message Board

Raw 12-8-14 - Slammys 2014

MGFanJay

I enjoyed the show for what it was but some odd choices for noms and winners. I really felt Wyatts and The Shield from EC should have been on the MOTY list too.

This was cool:

jVooxRA.gif

I feel like I don't get this.

I get hokey wrestling, but this Dean Ambrose shit is too over the top for me. Maybe because they are trying to past it off as super duper serious business.

use...

Obviously all the meth Ambrose is smoking in that ambulance cured his injury.

About damn time someone advocates for the benefits of regular meth use...

"DEAN AMBROSE SUFFERED A SEVERE TRACHEA INJURY!!!"

"Oh no, wait, there he is, he's fine"

Fun trivia: In the past 10 years what's the longest anyone's been out for an injury angle where they didn't have a legit injury and weren't filming a movie?

(I don't have the answer)

Ricky Steamboat gets his throat crushed = out for six weeks and they're still selling the lasting damage at WM.

Dean Ambrose gets his throat crushed = back next week with no lasting damage. Also, there was a smoke-filled ambulance involved. 

No one is authorized to "SELL" any injuries or be off TV for more than a week. It's horrible. No one gets hurt, no one sells anything, nothing matters at all.

With the network I know we will never go to LESS PPV's, but man, it's just overload and rushed story lines. Nothing breaths anymore.

Welcome to the Millennial's Instant Gratification.

This comment sucks. Millennials are just fine watching or listening to a story told over many months or years. Harry Potter told a long-ass story over years, but no one stopped reading the books because Harry didn't kill Voldemort at the end of book one. Millennials love these long-term prestige shows on HBO and AMC. Anytime someone says this shit about Millennials, I just assume they're a dumbass Baby Boomer who is trying to re-direct everyone from the fact that they financially fucked the country just a few years ago. 

Hey, Vince McMahon is a dumbass Baby Boomer! What a coincidence! (Though I don't know if he was offering subprime loans to guys in his company making FCW money back in 2006...though it wouldn't shock me if he did). 

Fun trivia: In the past 10 years what's the longest anyone's been out for an injury angle where they didn't have a legit injury and weren't filming a movie?

Ricky Steamboat gets his throat crushed = out for six weeks and they're still selling the lasting damage at WM.

Dean Ambrose gets his throat crushed = back next week with no lasting damage. Also, there was a smoke-filled ambulance involved. 

This was obviously a subtle endorsement for the healing benefits of medicinal marijuana.

• Like 1

1.) The Ambrose thing was great and sort of iconic and they can use it in an opening credits or what not or video packages. Even Seth Green was into it.

2.) Negro Casas better get damn far in March Madness this year. 

3.) Freaking ebbie.I think the problem is mainly that 70% of the board had this sort of attitude back in 99-03 or whenever we were that age. I know I wore a "Hunter Killed My Push" to an indy show and yelled at Vince to stop pushing his kids at one point. The more gimmicky posters are going to look back in ten years in shame.

• Like 4

No one is authorized to "SELL" any injuries or be off TV for more than a week. It's horrible. No one gets hurt, no one sells anything, nothing matters at all.

With the network I know we will never go to LESS PPV's, but man, it's just overload and rushed story lines. Nothing breaths anymore.

Welcome to the Millennial's Instant Gratification.

This comment sucks. Millennials are just fine watching or listening to a story told over many months or years. Harry Potter told a long-ass story over years, but no one stopped reading the books because Harry didn't kill Voldemort at the end of book one. Millennials love these long-term prestige shows on HBO and AMC. Anytime someone says this shit about Millennials, I just assume they're a dumbass Baby Boomer who is trying to re-direct everyone from the fact that they financially fucked the country just a few years ago.

Hey, Vince McMahon is a dumbass Baby Boomer! What a coincidence! (Though I don't know if he was offering subprime loans to guys in his company making FCW money back in 2006...though it wouldn't shock me if he did).

YOLO!!!

Roman Reigns is going to be turned on so hard when he comes back- WWE is going to try to shove him down people's throats so hard, and I think that will be the last straw for some folks.

It's amazing to me that despite how obvious this is, WWE is apparently oblivious to it. 

This is really exhibit A for the "Vince is out of touch" talking point.

No, if you're on the internet, you have to pretend Roman didn't get a huge pop last night and that you don't like him because he does nothing but running striking moves or something.

Yes even when posting from a board where he made the semifinals during March Madness. After all you can only be a star in this business with high workrate matches.

Using that criteria, he should be loved to the moon around here.

But, nope.

From a kayfabe perspective, Reigns had a strong year.  The Rumble eliminations, big role in The Shield's success(including the two Evolution matches), beat Orton and Rollins clean.

Also, it was a fan vote and the fangirls are a powerful force.  A bunch of more casual female fans love the guy to death.

1.) The Ambrose thing was great and sort of iconic and they can use it in an opening credits or what not or video packages. Even Seth Green was into it.

Yeah, I don't get the hate for this thing.  It's a cool-as-shit visual.  No more, no less.

• Like 1

No, if you're on the internet, you have to pretend Roman didn't get a huge pop last night and that you don't like him because he does nothing but running striking moves or something.

Yes even when posting from a board where he made the semifinals during March Madness. After all you can only be a star in this business with high workrate matches.

Using that criteria, he should be loved to the moon around here.

But, nope.

The Shield had high workrate matches.

Post-breakup, Ambrose and Rollins have had high workrate matches.

Roman Reigns, not so much.

Also, it was a fan vote and the fangirls are a powerful force. A bunch of more casual female fans love the guy to death.

Wait, people think that vote was legit?

NickMD, on 09 Dec 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Haven't seen most of Raw yet, but am quite annoyed about Ambrose returning.  I'm a fan of the guy, but it is way too soon for a return.  So it could be one of two things:

-The doctor was right and he had that injury.  Alvarez was spot on in talking about what a crushed trachea is all about.  Steamboat had that leading up to WM3 and it was long ordeal shown on WWF TV for months.  Ambrose coming back in less than a week all like "I'm fine" is absurd.

-The doctor was wrong and Ambrose didn't have it nearly as bad as they thought.  Which to me sounds like a misdiagnosis.  Given all the shit that was said about Doctor Amann from Punk, do you really want make the doc sound like a complete numbskull?  That's just not a wise idea.

Given the two options I guess the doc being wrong would make more sense.  Either way, way too soon for Ambrose.  If they had to, why not have him be a surprise for TLC?  Bray comes out saying how he took Dean out, and maybe the surprise would have been a bit more meaningful.

They were going to keep Ambrose out, but someone saw him running the ropes earlier so he got cleared.

I haven't watched a second of Raw the last two weeks, and hearing that Charlotte jobbed in two minutes makes me glad I haven't.

They should be promoting NXT as something worth getting the Network for instead of making it's women's champ look like a jobber.

I've got it. It's been in front of us all along, guys & dolls.

The brass ring.

It's in Torito's nose.

He will now be expected to defend it 24/7 like the old hardcore title.

As "Yakety Sax" plays.

• Like 1

Also, it was a fan vote and the fangirls are a powerful force. A bunch of more casual female fans love the guy to death.

Wait, people think that vote was legit?

I don't see why A.J. would have won hers if it wasn't at least SOMEWHAT legit.

NickMD, on 09 Dec 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Haven't seen most of Raw yet, but am quite annoyed about Ambrose returning.  I'm a fan of the guy, but it is way too soon for a return.  So it could be one of two things:

-The doctor was right and he had that injury.  Alvarez was spot on in talking about what a crushed trachea is all about.  Steamboat had that leading up to WM3 and it was long ordeal shown on WWF TV for months.  Ambrose coming back in less than a week all like "I'm fine" is absurd.

-The doctor was wrong and Ambrose didn't have it nearly as bad as they thought.  Which to me sounds like a misdiagnosis.  Given all the shit that was said about Doctor Amann from Punk, do you really want make the doc sound like a complete numbskull?  That's just not a wise idea.

Given the two options I guess the doc being wrong would make more sense.  Either way, way too soon for Ambrose.  If they had to, why not have him be a surprise for TLC?  Bray comes out saying how he took Dean out, and maybe the surprise would have been a bit more meaningful.

They were going to keep Ambrose out, but someone saw him running the ropes earlier so he got cleared.

I haven't watched a second of Raw the last two weeks, and hearing that Charlotte jobbed in two minutes makes me glad I haven't.

They should be promoting NXT as something worth getting the Network for instead of making it's women's champ look like a jobber.

Because putting the NXT champ over a Diva's wrestler on the main roster makes the main roster look weaker than the NXT roster.  Charlotte needed to job because NXT is the 'minor league' to RAW/Smackdown.

When the NXT wrestlers come up they have to start at the bottom rung of the ladder.

It is just like baseball or hockey, when top prospects come up they have to start at the bottom.  Yes, there are exceptions but those are few and far between.  They look good in the minors because they are minor league players playing against players with similar and lesser talents.

• Like 1

I get the whole NXT has to job to the main roster argument, but not when the entire fucking point was "look at this incredible performer who you can see defend her title on Thursday's NXT special and oops she's pinned in 2 minutes oh well".

I get the whole NXT has to job to the main roster argument, but not when the entire fucking point was "look at this incredible performer who you can see defend her title on Thursday's NXT special and oops she's pinned in 2 minutes oh well".

Yeah the time limit thing and the fact it was Natty bugged me.

More that it was Natty because you have this great wrestling family feud to play off of.

When Charlotte comes up you can have her build momentum by moving through the roster from the bottom up until she runs into Natty and use the family history to build a generational feud.

I would have used a lesser performer (not Natty, Bellas, Paige, AJ), given them 5 minutes, and have Charlotte lose so that you establish that while she is the NXT champ she is at the bottom of the Divas roster.  While Charlotte got her offense into the match, the short time made it feel like a squash.

Guys, the real point of that match was for us to love Tyson Kidd's cat ear hood

Let's not forget that it took Nattie two minutes to beat Charlotte when he was in her corner.

Nattie couldn't beat Charlotte in like fifteen minutes when she had Bret in her corner.

Therefore

Tyson Kidd>Bret Hart

• Like 3

The last time a NXT diva debuted, she beat the most dominant WWE woman's wrestler in years cleanly and in like two minutes flat. Anyone hating on Natalya beating Charlotte can't over look that, yes, they just pushed someone in the preferred manner. Why go back to that well so quickly?