DVDVR Message Board

Any former diss track battling rappers ever bury the hatchet and do something together?

Bad Meets Evil (Eminem and Royce da 5'9), which was formed before the beef and then reformed after Slaughterhouse signed with Shady Records

Still one of my favorites.

Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard ole Neil put her down

Well, I hope Neil Young will remember

A southern man don't need him around any how

Anyone?

• Like 2

Forget Pac vs Biggie, East vs West, Jay vs Nas The G-Unit/Shady/Aftermath vs Murder was the most epic rap beef I ever heard. Farrakhan of all people tried to intervene for Pete's sake. I don't know what Ja Rule was thinking going up against arguably The Hottest rapper at the time, maybe the best rapper of all time and maybe the best producer of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuRf2myPAPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3fu7oUMzMo

Theres more that just scratches the surface but You get the jest of it.  

My favorite diss song is "Hot Dog" by Limp Bizkit, purely because Durst ended up having to give royalties to Trent Reznor because the chorus of the song was basically the chorus to "Closer", with references to "Burn" and "The Perfect Drug" by NIN. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  What an idiot.

Runner-up: "Fuck Kevin Durant" by Lil' B the BasedGod B)

Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard ole Neil put her down

Well, I hope Neil Young will remember

A southern man don't need him around any how

Anyone?

csb time:

I was driving around south Phoenix (a predominately black area) blast that song because it's like an awesome driving song. I had to stop at a stop sign. A guy with 3 kids, including a baby in a stroller, all stopped and stared at me with the most intent "This bitch." look on their faces. It was awesome.

Bad Meets Evil (Eminem and Royce da 5'9), which was formed before the beef and then reformed after Slaughterhouse signed with Shady Records

When I think of Royce Da 5'9, I think of that Willa Ford song tbh

It's like word for word a divorce hearing.. Also this is a great song too:

Eminem casually mauling Benzino because he can? (I forget which Em track dissing Benzino was playing at this one house I door-knocked once for a job yrs ago, I think it was "Nail in the Coffin")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz9f7IVTpWM

And i'm posting this one because there's a YouTube channel titled "TimDogVEVO":

#RIPTimDog

"Slim Anus? Yeah you damn right Slim Anus, I don't get fucked in mine like you two flaming bundles of sticks"

I don't like the anti-gay f-word.

Anyway, I tried to link some Cam'ron songs but I really don't know how to embed youtube on here. Take Em To Church is a classic for me.

Brand New in their early pop-punky days had the angry "Seventy Times 7", which was about singer Jesse Lacey's (at the time) former friend John Nolan of Taking Back Sunday.

Taking Back Sunday replied with the song "There's No 'I' in Team", going as far as using a few of the lyrics from the former song to ensure listeners would understand the intended target (and linking the two songs forever).

Goldfinger has "FTN" which stands for "Fuck Ted Nugent". It occurs to me I've never heard this song despite years of knowing of its existence.

Goldfinger has "FTN" which stands for "Fuck Ted Nugent". It occurs to me I've never heard this song despite years of knowing of its existence.

To save you some time (the song sucks, and Goldfinger was my favorite band in middle school so that hurts to say), John Feldmann is very into animal rights so he attacks Nuge for his views on hunting, then attacks Jennifer Lopez for wearing animal products and calls her fat.

To save you some time (the song sucks, and Goldfinger was my favorite band in middle school so that hurts to say), John Feldmann is very into animal rights so he attacks Nuge for his views on hunting, then attacks Jennifer Lopez for wearing animal products and calls her fat.

Okay, glancing at the lyrics quickly... I'm just going to thank you for saving me the time.

And no worries: Most everyone's favorite band or bands will do some really dumb/shitty gimmick song at some point. Heck, The Beatles had Revolution 9 (waits to be conked on the head).

A couple that come to mind:

- 3rd Bass dissing Vanilla Ice with "Pop Goes the Weasel"

- Tom Petty dissing Eddie Murphy with a line in...aw, hell, can't remember the song

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's cuz this board skews older, but I'm surprised nobody's brought up "Taylor Swift versus every ex-boyfriend she's ever had".  Seriously, T-Dawg, please have a top-40 single which isn't about that.  Alanis Morisette did it once and got it out of her system and since then has been one of the most serene and happy artists on the planet; Robert Smith has based half his career on it and he's still a miserable depressed neurotic fuck.  Which one would you rather be?  

Man, who didn't diss Courtney Love?

Marilyn Manson did it (Starfuckers, Inc) as did Tori Amos (Professional Widow) and Gwen Stefani (Hollaback Girl).

It's cute to Yankee Doodle Dandy a situation and own an insult like Gwen did with the cheerleader thing, but the "diss" in the song is so vague that it hardly even counts.  No details at all, no burn, just "...what?!  Well... fuck you too!"  And what part of Professional Widow was directed at Love?  I'm guessing "don't blow those brains yet" is the most obvious clue, but Tori's lyrics are so damn'd opaque (like the musical equivalent of a diary written in shorthand) that it's often impossible to tell exactly what the heck she's talking about.  

(In stereotypical suburban "white dad" voice): "What's the problem with all these rappers? Can't they just get along?"

Every social group has its rivalries, and every fame-driven artistic medium gives rivalries a public arena for its rivals to act like passive-aggressive long-distance gladiators.  But the general phenomenon of Diss Tracks does seem way more popular in rap than practically anywhere else.  Why is that?  It almost makes me envision paranoid fantasies of old white men who own record companies, stirring the shit between their various employees (rather like a promoter will sometimes do to his wrestlers) in order to create controversy and print money.  

"Slim Anus? Yeah you damn right Slim Anus, I don't get fucked in mine like you two flaming bundles of sticks"

I never even understood that supposed "burn".  Slim Anus?  It doesn't rhyme, it's a bit of a tongue-twister, and it makes no literal sense.  Like when John Cena kept calling Chris Jericho "Y2Cheap" and never explained what the hell that was intended to mean.  

My favorite diss song is "Hot Dog" by Limp Bizkit, purely because Durst ended up having to give royalties to Trent Reznor because the chorus of the song was basically the chorus to "Closer", with references to "Burn" and "The Perfect Drug" by NIN.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  What an idiot.

Runner-up: "Fuck Kevin Durant" by Lil' B the BasedGod  B)

I will begrudgingly give Durst one bit of credit: for one brief moment, he dropped his ridiculous Tough Guy shtick and teamed up with Jonathan Davis to make one of the most dead-on parodies of diss tracks I've ever heard.  Hell, it's barely even satire, until they finish off with a Scary Movie-level gay joke.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an attack line that exists but I am way too fucking white to have an opinion on:

It's in a black man's soul to rock that gold, naw

It's in a black man's soul to take a chain off

It's in a black man's soul to roll free

It seems like a black man's role is to fold cheap