DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLE KINGDOM 9 in TOKYO DOME (with Spoilers!)

leglockwrestling

I watched this show through nefarious means today and wow, just wow.

I haven't seen shit of New Japan, so I may be a little off from conventional thinking.

The Sakuraba - Suzuki match was friggin ridiculous. That is like nothing I think I've seen before in 35 or so years of watching wrestling. Why WWE doesn't try some shoot style matches is beyond me with the popularity of UFC in America. The NEVER match, Kenny Omega, the Young Bucks, and everybody in the last two matches, especially fucking Okada, were absolutely awesome. Okada might be as good as I've seen since Ric Flair in 85/86 or so. I've seen one Okada match and now want to see 100.

Seriously amazing PPV.

• Like 1

Moe, the more the more I look at your sig the more I'm in love with the arm stubble spot Omega did.  So awesome in so many ways.  I can imagine that'd bother somebody.  Omgea was aces that night.

It's my favourite moment of the year so far and every time I see that sig it makes me happy / want to make engine noises.

Depends on your cable company.  Don't know about the Blu-Ray yet.  But NJ World and Flipps both have it on demand.  And I can comfirm that FiOS has it On Demand in the WWE and More section.

Finally finished watching.  I knew going in that I would be missing some of the vibe of the final two matches by not knowing the backstories, but they were still a lot of fun to watch.  Amazing that TNA used both Tanahashi and Okada and did next to nothing with them.

Wait, TNA used Tanahashi?  How in the hell did I miss that?  I can't recall ever seeing him on Impact.  Unreal.

Now I definitely remember Okada.  Talk about TNA not knowing what they had.  My only gripe was the character he was doing, but I knew nothing else about him.  When I heard he was becoming one the top guys in NJPW I was in disbelief.

I saw the main matches again and now like the main event as much as Nakamura/Ibushi.  The story that was told was great, and it played so much into the match.  I'll never get tired of JR losing his mind over a dropkick, but damn was that a beauty.  You can't help but feel for Okada breaking down afterwards.  You just know he's going to unseat Tanahashi one day, and it's going to be fun to see him get to that point.

I really wish WWE and TNA would seriously consider what they did with this show.  Don't make it all like NJPW, but just look what happens when you have clean finishes that matter.  It's not that hard to do.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the thing- he was REALLY good when he first got the WWE gig. Even won Meltzer's Best Announcer award that year. At some point after that he flaked and got weird with it.

He jumped the smark. Er, shark.