DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLE KINGDOM 9 in TOKYO DOME (with Spoilers!)

leglockwrestling

I'm I'm not mistaken, the stuff on TV Arashi is as it is in the arena because that station has the rights, as well as the GFW feed, because it had the US rights.  The stuff on NJ World and iPPV before that were available worldwide, so they don't have all the rights in everywhere its available.  So therefore, if NJPW doesn't own it, or have permission, its dubbed.

That's surprising.  I am so used to it being the other way around (WWE dubbing WCW stuff for example) and assumed the GFW feed was an overdub.  If that's the case then the theme for ReDragon had me fooled as it fit the lights/video really well.  Good to know.

Also, I'm on a mission of sorts to show parts of this show to people I know.  My wife was completely into the Iishi/Makabe match and adored Nakamura.  I could see showing those to friends and they'd be into it.  If there's enough interest then they'll see more.  But not since NXT's special did I want to show others how awesome wrestling can be.

And Nakamura loving Mercury and Michael Jackson is a man after my own heart.  He kind of did some type of MJ movement in the entrance at one point.

EDIT:  In thinking about the other great matches, I forgot how awesome the UWF-I match was.  I'm hoping that doesn't get lost with people as that was pretty damn significant.

Yeah, music rights. NJPW started dubbing the entrances last year. Prior to that, the entrances were completely muted. It was a little distracting at first.

NOAH did/does the same thing too.

Man, I'm going to be incredibly sad when vanilla shootfighter Shinsuke Nakmura escapes from the dungeon he's been in since 2008 or so, and runs off his evil twin brother who replaced him.  Evil twin Nakamura is a strange dude, but he's really charismatic and fun to watch.

• Like 5

My only complaint about JR was the two lines about the Jrs. hypothetically not being respected by some and how Ibushi was at the "grown ups table."

I could see how that'd be an issue.  I took it as a mid-carder was in the co-main event and delivered on all counts.  Never thought that was a slight on Ibushi due to size on anything.  Seemed like a good attempt to put him over from JR in as strong a way as possible.  As for the Juniors, it depends on the company.  Obviously they're respected in NJPW and companies worth a damn.  I took that as a shot at WWE.

So, not wanting to sit through four hours of Matt Striker, I plunked down the yen for NJPW World.  So glad I did.  I haven't even touched the archives yet and I already love it based off of how well the stream went for this show.  Didn't care for the overdubbed music, but I understand why it's necessary.  Better to do that than to make it unavailable in our country or something.

As a note, I do not watch New Japan - I sort of lightly follow it through this site and the Observer, but I haven't seen a NJ show front to back in probably at least a decade.  I'm sure some of the comments will come across as stupid. :)

With that said - I LOVED this show.  When I finally looked up to see what time it was, we were three hours in.  Amazing.

Pre-show Rumble: Loved just sending guys out to kill time for half an hour to open things while people were coming in - US wrestling should do this more often, especially on the indies.   I loved the Fujiwara-Kabuki teamup, and Fujiwara's shrug as he was eliminated.  

Four-way juniors tag: As an ECCW guy, I cannot tell you how happy I am to see Kyle O'Reilly in the spot he's in and doing this well worldwide.  He's seriously a good and cool dude and deserves everything he's getting now.  As for the match, to me it was mostly a bunch of spots strung together, but some FANTASTIC spots.  Even the Young Bucks didn't annoy me too much and I can't stand them.  Thrilled to see Kyle get the pin.

Six-man: HONMAMANIA!  Karen Jarrett's gotten a bit curvy.  Thumbs up there.  I also dug Jarrett's Bullet Club gear.

Eight-man: Sorta zoned out a bit, sadly.  I enjoyed what I've seen of Yano in the past and he was fun here.  Shelton Benjamin looks good but no way he'd pass a Wellness test...

NEVER Openweight title: LOVED IT.  I don't read good stuff about him online, but I love Togi Makabe.  Love the look, love the character, and was happy he won the match.  I gotta see more of this.  (I also switched to a US feed for this match and I was glad I did - this match seemed to really get Ross' attention.)

IWGP junior title: Absolutely love Kenny Omega's "Cleaner" gimmick - the look and attitude is fantastic.  I lost my shit at the chainsaw, especially with the Young Bucks providing the Foley.  Very fun match, good to see Omega take it.  I wonder if they're seeing him as a possible replacement with Devitt now in NXT.

UWF rules match: Again on the US feed, and you could tell JR loved the backstory and the basic action here.  I never checked out the old UWF (or UWFI, as Striker put it) but if this is an indication, I need to.  I really enjoyed the hybrid action but kinda hoped Saku would win.  No matter - Suzuki is fantastic, and a very well done match.  I want to see more of it.

Naito v. Styles - again, not an AJ Styles fan, but a fun match.  With the injury to Yoshitatsu, the horror when Styles would keep trying the Clash was very well done.  Great finish, too.  Also enjoyed the story of the Bullet Club losing ALMOST every match except this one, which gives New Japan victories but still keeps them strong, as their "leader" won when it counted.  EDIT: Except for Kenny Omega, as I'm stupid.  I'll leave this here, though.

IC title match: Wow.  Just wow.  Huge fan of Nakamura (his gimmick reminds me of former ECCWer Ravenous Randy, to the point that I'm positive one of them inspired the other.) and glad to see him retain.

IWGP title match: Sadly, I fell asleep during the live broadcast and had to come back to it - I'm glad I did.  It's redundant, but "wow" and "amazing match".  I said that a lot watching this show.  With the story of the match, I'm surprised Tanahashi retained, but it sets the stage for a huge career-making win later by Okada.

This definitely won't be the last NJ show I watch - I'm going to be checking out the follow-up live event later on NJPW World.  Awesome!

I fondly remember the brick-and-mortar video store near me used to have a UWF tape (miss that store)  Thesz was there and seemed into everything.  I didn't know it was worked and had a ball watching it.

If anybody is PMing Mike some good UWF matches to watch, please send them to me as well.  Thanks.

• Like 2

I watched all of the UWF reborn shows about ten years ago, so my memory is hazy. The best stuff usually features one of Takada, Maeda, or Yamazaki. My favourite UWF match was certainly handsome, college jock type Masakatsu Funaki vs. portly, pig-faced, pompadoured underdog Tatsuo Nakano. So much emotion from the fighters, perfect story, brutal stiffness, and Hakata Star Lane is like the Korakuen Hall of southern Japan in that it always makes matches better. The fans completely get behind the plucky Nakano.

http://youtu.be/5gHtgUsXEm4

It's a referee stoppage, not a submission, by the way.

Yamazaki was my main man during my UWF binge, as he showed a vulnerability that Takada and Maeda often times avoided due to their desire to be ACE. Fujiwara is surly, technically incredible and more than willing to make Yamazaki look vulnerable. Here's their match (link is part 1 of 3) from the same show as the above match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vi6lLxflpQ

Here's Mookieghana's stats on the board's voting for Other Japan (men) set featuring most of the good shit from the original and reincarnated UWF.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the show. I thought JR did get better but there were definitely matches where guys clearly hit their big moves and Ross was unaware and then the match was over. The crowd popped but the announce team was just talking like it was a transition move.

I've heard a few people praising Strikers call of the show which has me wondering if the in ring was just so good they only paid attention when Striker wasn't annoying. 

I lost track how many times he said "lariatoooo" and on a few of the suplexes he quite obviously stopped himself a few times from saying DRAAAAAAAAGOOONNNN SUUUUPLEXAAAAAHHHHH. Ugggghhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20iF8c9AehY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i21gLZtiaRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfAeQH4jXEY

The first is newborn and the Fujiwara/Sayama is OG. There's a ton of UWFi I haven't watched in forever on my external. Anything involving Kiyoshi Tamura should probably be watched. Ken Shamrock was surprisingly awesome. That Funaki match above is a killer. 

Also enjoyed the story of the Bullet Club losing every match except this one, which gives New Japan victories but still keeps them strong, as their "leader" won when it counted.

I think The Cleaner wants a word with you...

Doh!  You're right.  Forgot about Omega.  And right after I mentioned his new persona, too....

• Like 1

I fondly remember the brick-and-mortar video store near me used to have a UWF tape (miss that store)  Thesz was there and seemed into everything.  I didn't know it was worked and had a ball watching it.

So jealous that Thesz worked at your video store.

• Like 7

It is kinda amazing that just putting one New Japan PPV on American PPV and suddenly wrestling fans here are going nuts.  It helped the show was fantastic, but across the board you just hear about puroresu websites getting more hits, puroresu torrents (no I don't encourage using torrents) being popular, etc.  I don't know if it will last more than a week but it certainly helped introduce New Japan to a lot of new people.

Not that my site is the pinnacle of puroresu greatness (or is it?), but Sunday I had the most visits I've had to my site in its ten year history.... until Monday, which had even more.  Quite fascinating, I mean in today's age of internet, twitter, etc. how did so many people not know that New Japan was awesome?  :)

• Like 2