DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLE KINGDOM 9 in TOKYO DOME (with Spoilers!)

leglockwrestling

I am guessing (hoping?) all the admins are asleep, so since people are watching this live - I personally don't have an issue with people posting as the show progresses about the show, but don't do things like just "WOW!" or "this sucks", etc.  Make it a complete thought about a match, a general rule of thumb is your comment should make sense even if someone isn't watching the event.  I'll delete posts that aren't complete just so the thread doesn't become overrun.

I'm sticking with the World version because after hearing Ross talk with Jarrett and Machine Gun on his podcast, he couldn't keep the names right. I'm afraid that he'll bobble a bunch of Japanese names, which will be awkward as heck. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

As for watching live, this is the first time I've watched a Japanese event live as well. I used to stay up and read Stu's results and do the live chat back in New Japan's waning glory days of the early aughts. I think this might be a wee bit better than that.

Damn, no DeLorean this year!

For those with the PPV, how was Ross' call of that match?! I can't imagine him calling it, lol. Fun opener... a little over the top but that was always going to be the case with that match.

I plan on watching it later with Ross on commentary, I just can't imagine it being good.  What made JR so good was his knowledge and his passion.  Unless he did tons of studying he won't know every wrestler and their moves/gameplan/etc. and how do you have passion for a promotion you are probably watching an entire event for the first time ever?  Those that watch the US version I'd be interested in your thoughts, if he does well I may try to show it to my non-puroresu wrestling friends.

For those with the PPV, how was Ross' call of that match?! I can't imagine him calling it, lol. Fun opener... a little over the top but that was always going to be the case with that match.

Striker was calling the match more than Ross.  Ross is pretty much just chiming in with his thoughts and his usual cliches.  Thought that match was more a move exhibition than anything else.  ReDRagon were barely it til the end.

Anyone else find that scrolling video screen pretty distracting?

I plan on watching it later with Ross on commentary, I just can't imagine it being good.  What made JR so good was his knowledge and his passion.  Unless he did tons of studying he won't know every wrestler and their moves/gameplan/etc. and how do you have passion for a promotion you are probably watching an entire event for the first time ever?  Those that watch the US version I'd be interested in your thoughts, if he does well I may try to show it to my non-puroresu wrestling friends.

Agreed. I'll probably watch the Ross version tomorrow night with buds who couldn't make the live airing. 

He couldn't even get Tanahashi's name down when he was putting him over. I think he likes the style, appreciates the physicality and was genuine in his praise of Tana but if he couldn't get the ace's name down on his podcast, what are the chances of him being able to get midcarders during a live event in person?

HOLY SHIT! HONMA WINS! HONMA WINS! HONMA WINS! IN THE DOME! WITH THE HEADBUTT! My feed must be broken.

I am more distracted by that giant spotlight that is facing the camera into the ring they sometimes turn on, but the scrolling is annoying too.  Also saddened that the crowd marked out for Jarrett's guitar shot, clearly they did not watch much WCW.

I usually skip Iizuka matches but putting the NOAH guys in the mix was enough for me to look forward to it. It was fine. Felt rushed, especially at the end there when Marufugi basically no sold the big Belly to Belly from the top in order to move on to the finishing sequence.

Haha, oh man, Suzuki looks awesome. 

Archer's chokeslam was unreal but what a waste of 10 minutes.

Suzuki going all white is interesting. 

Edit: felt like that could've been better. The opening matwork was great, the final stretch was good, but ramp stuff is so overplayed. UWF theme and cut to Yamazaki was good shit, though. Shame it was dubbed over.

Edited by Oyaji

Ishii made Makabe look interesting and not suck.  I love Ishii.  Not happy he lost to him but it was a fun match.

I really enjoyed the story they told. In between all of the clubberin', they made Ishii's shoulder the difference between the two. Hopefully this means Ishii can finally get healthy; he's been carrying that injury since the G1, hasn't he? Then he can come back for the rematch and be on a level playing field.

I used to dislike Makabe but he's basically now a goofier version of Ishii and the two are made to beat the shit out of each other.

Also, they're going to run Sumo Hall three times in a row again rather than the Seibu Dome. I like that - Sumo Hall crowds are great and dome shows have shitty acoustics.

Kenny Omega is such a freak athlete. The Karelin lift into a picture perfect Liger Bomb was my favorurite spot of the night. He did a few other remarkable things throughout the match. Hopefully they can build the junior division back up with him as the centrepiece. He's also got the best hair in wrestling, maybe not so much with the Bullet Club dye job but certainly before that.

Fuck, yes! Styles finally hits that avalanche Styles Clash.

For a guy whose main event matches always revolve around his opponent going after the surgically repaired knee, Naito's selling is atrocious. Fun match other than that. Tag titles match was good too. Nothing blow away yet but some fun matches.

Dai booing to fake Lenne Hardt. Go real or don't go at all.

HOLY FUCK, KING OF STRONG STYLE!