DVDVR Message Board

Phil "CM Punk" Brooks Signs with the UFC; Will Debut in 2015 at 170 or 185

Elsalvajeloco

"Become an MMA fighter" feels like it's replaced "get a sports car" as the No. 1 symptom of a mid-life crisis.

Or he just decided to move from a niche fake sport with declining popularity to a niche real sport with declining popularity. Plus, his new boss is definitely less out of touch.

CM Punk can want to do whatever the hell he likes with his life.

Whether or not Dana White and UFC should be enabling his absurd and dangerous ambitions simply for the sake of making some cash, however, is another matter entirely.

UFC lets them come out to whatever they want usually don't they?

No, not everyone can come out to what they want to.

There's been some cases in which they've handpicked music for some fighters.

"Become an MMA fighter" feels like it's replaced "get a sports car" as the No. 1 symptom of a mid-life crisis.

Or he just decided to move from a niche fake sport with declining popularity to a niche real sport with declining popularity. Plus, his new boss is definitely less out of touch.

Whether or not Dana White and UFC should be enabling his absurd and dangerous ambitions simply for the sake of making some cash, however, is another matter entirely.

Punk probably isn't even in the top 20 health hazards in the UFC. If you only knew, man.

I guess his fighting style will be Kempo/BJJ/Muay Thai?

?

Are you jokingly referencing his old ECW promos or something?

In that press release it mentions kempo and BJJ. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what his fighting style is going to be. It would be awesome if his fighting style is listed as whatever the fuck I think of during the fight.

Punk probably isn't even in the top 20 health hazards in the UFC. If you only knew, man.

Agreed. With all the crazy injuries that occur in training and all the guys desperately wanting to fight in the UFC no matter what, yeah, there's worse.

?

In that press release it mentions kempo and BJJ. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what his fighting style is going to be. It would be awesome if his fighting style is listed as whatever the fuck I think of during the fight.

"Your fighting style is listed as 'Straight Edge'"

"Yeah? and?"

I don't follow MMA at all.  Can someone realistically walk in with no experience and put up a credible challenge against a decent opponent?  I realize there are plenty of tough guys around with some sort of fighting background but no organized MMA experience, so maybe it's feasible, but It kinda sounds like one of those "Michael Jordan plays pro baseball" things.  Actually, except for the fact that he's apparently signed with UFC, this sounds more like Michael Elgin announcing he was going to play pro baseball or Kurt Angle talking about taking another run at the Olympics.

• Like 1

I don't follow MMA at all.  Can someone realistically walk in with no experience and put up a credible challenge against a decent opponent?  I realize there are plenty of tough guys around with some sort of fighting background but no organized MMA experience, so maybe it's feasible, but It kinda sounds like one of those "Michael Jordan plays pro baseball" things.  Actually, except for the fact that he's apparently signed with UFC, this sounds more like Michael Elgin announcing he was going to play pro baseball or Kurt Angle talking about taking another run at the Olympics.

MMA (combat sports in general, just google image search "Gabe Brown boxing") is vastly different than the stick-and-ball sports. There are all types of bums that are barely above Punk's level of just straight BJJ training. Shit, there are 525 people on the UFC roster. A few of those guys (and girls) should be working at Denny's instead of fighting . Plus, Dana already said his first fight won't be the caliber of a Frank Mir, who Brock got in his first UFC fight. Punk's only real problem is that his punch resistance hasn't been tested. That can only be determined in an actual live fight.

• Like 2

At least we know he won't be failing any drug tests. Do we know how much real training he actually has? I assume he'll be on no-name prelim fights against tomato cans after they assess how much talent he actually has.

He'll get booked against another 0-0 guy. It'll just look very out of place on a UFC card.

I bet Punk does one or two fights and gets out. I could easily see UFC transitioning him into the announcing booth. Either that or Vince comes crawling back and gives Punk his Mania main event.

He'll get booked against another 0-0 guy. It'll just look very out of place on a UFC card.

So somehow not worse than the TUF China Finale prelims? Boy that was rough to sit through late at night. Punk could beat one of those dudes with no training at all.

?

"Your fighting style is listed as 'Straight Edge'"

"Yeah? and?"

That would be awesome.

Yeah fighting at 170 if he can do the weight cut would be better then 185.

MMA (combat sports in general, just google image search "Gabe Brown boxing") is vastly different than the stick-and-ball sports. There are all types of bums that are barely above Punk's level of just straight BJJ training. Shit, there are 525 people on the UFC roster. A few of those guys (and girls) should be working at Denny's instead of fighting . Plus, Dana already said his first fight won't be the caliber of a Frank Mir, who Brock got in his first UFC fight. Punk's only real problem is that his punch resistance hasn't been tested. That can only be determined in an actual live fight.

Yeah those last 2 sentences are the key because no one has any fucking idea until the fight.

He doesn't have a team yet. One person on Twitter hinted him might be training with Ronda Rousey's camp in LA, which I guess is a decent fit.

That's probably the best fit for a team outside of some good team in Chicago if there is one.

So somehow not worse than the TUF China Finale prelims? Boy that was rough to sit through late at night. Punk could beat one of those dudes with no training at all.

Worst then some of the fights on the current 115 pound women's 115 TUF?

They can always find someone for him to beat up. Batista beat up some dudes. Lashley beats up dudes. They'll find someone.

I beat they can find a tomato can from the 1990's UFC to throw him a win.

Do we know how much real training he actually has?

He's been saying for a while now he has done kempo karate for some years and he's been training BJJ with Rener Gracie for a couple of years and before he was training BJJ with some other other Gracie family members.

He's also been hanging out or at least he's been watching some UFC shows with some big name UFC fighters like Lyoto Machida for example, so he's probably been doing some training with some high level fighters.

I assume he'll be on no-name prelim fights against tomato cans after they assess how much talent he actually has.

Yeah, no. There's no way the UFC is going to spend one of their biggest signings on prelims.

He doesn't have a team yet. One person on Twitter hinted him might be training with Ronda Rousey's camp in LA, which I guess is a decent fit.

That's probably the best fit for a team outside of some good team in Chicago if there is one.

Worst then some of the fights on the current 115 pound women's 115 TUF?

No one really trains in Chicago anymore except the Team Curran guys. All those dudes are like 1/2 his size. Guida and Arlovski both train at Jackson-Winklejohn. Lamas went to train at MMA Masters in Miami.

The TUF China fights (with the TUF guys) on the actual finale (I can only imagine the ones on the show) were so bad. The TUF 115 girls are leagues above those dudes except for maybe 1 or 2 women.