DVDVR Message Board

Phil "CM Punk" Brooks Signs with the UFC; Will Debut in 2015 at 170 or 185

Elsalvajeloco

Serious question. If Punk has all ready sort of trained with The Gracies (and supposedly he'd be at least a blue belt or something if he had the time before hand for full on training), wouldn't it make sense to just go to their gym? He's not going to win with striking and kicking. His only hope is getting someone on the ground and submitting them

I would view it the opposite. He's not going to submit any of these guys at 185 or 170.  His best chance would be to catch someone with a punch.  

• Like 1

He will need a strong striking background because if he just shoots for takedowns he will walk into a foot or knee at some point.  If his strength is his ground game he needs some striking to setup for the takedown because people will be looking for the takedown out of the gate.  Enough striking to get their respect and then shoot the takedown.

Well going by your wording there, if he doesn't teach him any legit wrestling, he'll still try and teach him a lesson. But let's face it, every gym that trains MMA is going to have some people in it that have been fighting for years and are pissed off that Punk went straight to UFC and want to prove they deserve it more than he does. And in terms of actual MMA ability, almost all of those guys will deserve the spot more than him. But nobody's really heard of most of those guys in MMA (let alone outside of it), and Punk is famous beyond MMA, so he gets the gig anyway.

Memo to young MMA fighters: Try to become famous for something else first. Become a champion in another sport or discipline, or learn to sing and dance or act or something. 

I looked at their website and the head wrestling coach is Ben Askrin, of OMG UFC hired a fake wrestler before me fame, is having someone train you that thinks you need to be taught a lesson going to actually make him better or not really teach him anything?

Askren is mostly talk though. Scott Cushman is probably the one he needs to look out for if he does decide to train there. If he doesn't build a good rapport with Cushman or Duke, it's going to be significantly tougher for him to make it through an actual camp. You can already see that with TUF 20 and the whole Red Schafer debacle. He will be alright if he can buy into them like the rest of the guys currently training there.

Memo to young MMA fighters: Try to become famous for something else first. Become a champion in another sport or discipline, or learn to sing and dance or act or something*. 

*Dont: Domestic violence,rape,racial,homophobic & sexist slurs on twitter,befriending Iggy Azzalea

Well going by your wording there, if he doesn't teach him any legit wrestling, he'll still try and teach him a lesson. But let's face it, every gym that trains MMA is going to have some people in it that have been fighting for years and are pissed off that Punk went straight to UFC and want to prove they deserve it more than he does. And in terms of actual MMA ability, almost all of those guys will deserve the spot more than him. But nobody's really heard of most of those guys in MMA (let alone outside of it), and Punk is famous beyond MMA, so he gets the gig anyway.

Memo to young MMA fighters: Try to become famous for something else first. Become a champion in another sport or discipline, or learn to sing and dance or act or something. 

Weirdly enough, and Punk is a sign of this, that's how you get a job working for Marvel Comics too.

• Like 1

Anik says Punk will give many people problems with his cadio, guess he watched the 90 minute match with Hero. 

edit. Oh wait, now a fan has been following Punk since his "ROW days" ROW. I must have missed that run. 

edit. Now fan, invited Punk to party, and says he'll buy him a beer. Love this. 

edit. NOW SOMEBODY IS AsKING ABOUT HIS BROTHER, and THE LUNATIC WRESTLING FEDERATION. I fucking love this. 

edit. Now multiple people have asked Punk if he's gonna do his GTS in the fight, one was super drunk. 

• Like 1

Two morons asked Punk if he's going to use the G2S in the UFC.  Drunk dude in a Longhorns shirt asked him and he knew the guy before him already asked that.  Doing shame to my school.  And then he said go Oklahoma State.  I want to find that guy and rip that shirt from his body.

Holy fucking shit. I'll say one thing, the one dude who somehow found his way back to the microphone and asked a second question had me laughing way too hard. He asked something about Faber or whatever. I don't know. He was kind of drunk too but not a total idiot. This one dude comes up to the mic and host says "Go ahead darling" and it was actually a fat kid with long blonde hair. LOL.

This was amazing. I'd watch 90 minutes of this over 90 minutes of Hero.

I will give Punk credit on this Q&A because history has shown he doesn't deal well with assholes.  Especially drunk assholes.  I thought he handled that mess about as well as possible.  The 2004 Punk would have been a complete jerk about 5 minutes into it

I have only watched about 4 or 5 of these UFC Q&A before and the idea that MMA fans are smarter than pro wrestling fans is not proven watching these.  Holy fuck   :unsure:

I will do some generalizing here but in my live experiences, a lot of wrestling fans I've met can be idiots/dicks and pretty awkward but they are also pretty nice guys most of the time. Completely harmless.  A lot of the MMA "types" I've met are college age frat douches who THINK they can fight and are very rude, loud and obnoxious.

This is only based on what I've seen, I'm sure there are plenty of cool fans for both.