DVDVR Message Board

The 2014 Holiday Thread - Gifts, Wants, Holiday Cheer, Etc.

TimLivingston

Our cat has lost interest in our tree too.  It's too bad.  It used to climb up about halfway up the tree way inside it and just sit in there and dare anyone to stick a hand in.

It was kind of great, like, whenever one of us would walk past the other would be like:

"You have trespassed where only a Tree Man may enter! A stranger in our temple must try the Wood Beast of Arboria or die!"

and you would have to slowly stick your hand in the tree...as. slowly. as. possibAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

flash73sm.jpg

"Please....end it now!"

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty awesome to celebrate my first Christmas as a married man.  We're totally into the "Our first Christmas" stuff and it's just great.  It is countered a bit by the fact it's also the first one without her dad alive which sucks.  But all in all it's not too bad.  Staying away from the main songs they trot out for months has paid off and we're in the Christmas spirit.  And for once I didn't procrastinate and got the shopping done early.  All in all, good times.

Last week we had a white elephant gift exchange for my small group Bible study. Gift I went home with? A homemade cheese cutting board and a couple kinds of smoked cheese that my friend smoked himself. Cutting board was made from wine barrels. Those kind of deals, I usually end up with something crappy so for a cheese guy like me to get that? Awesome. And then the dude brought a bunch more cheese to class tonight as gifts. Booyah!

• Like 1

It's pretty awesome to celebrate my first Christmas as a married man.  We're totally into the "Our first Christmas" stuff and it's just great. 

Oh Jesus, did you buy a tree ornament that says "2014 Our First Christmas!" with like two little angels kissing or something?

You unforgivable sap.*

*he types in as the tree lights reflect off a "2004 Our First Christmas!" ornament with two little angels kissing. Goddammit.

Take it from me, when you stop buying those every year for your tree it's a sign things could be going off the rails. Me and the Ex for a long time would get those year ones and at least two wacky ones every Christmas, my favorite was Lt. Worf holding a Batt'leth. Every year he defended the tree with Wonder Woman, Superman, Yukon Cornelius, and Baby Jesus. 

I think baby C is finally understanding the whole santa thing. she knows about the tree, building snowmen, and the like.

She's had some turkey, stuffing and tried potatoes at her nursery christmas meal...woofed it down.

Shame I've got to work over the holidays though - would have quite liked to go up to mannie and visit the outlaws...

I never saw the point in the yearly ones, it's dated next year.  We got one that had no year to it, so it's nice to have up.  Next year will likely will be some generic married couple one, because no way I'm keeping up with something like the yearly ones.

pageant1_n_zps1a1f6530.jpg

My Nephew's first Christmas Pageant . He's all the way to the left rocking the kilt he insisted on wearing. I'm trying to find a little kid's size Piper "Hot Rod" shirt for him to wear at his first wrestling show I'm taking him top in Feb. but no luck.

pageant2_n_zpsa844dbf0.jpg

drezsanta_n_zps8c2b76fc.jpg

dreznfarraxmas_n_zpsbd7d38d0.jpg

Nephew and Niece after the show.

I think baby C is finally understanding the whole santa thing. she knows about the tree, building snowmen, and the like.

She's had some turkey, stuffing and tried potatoes at her nursery christmas meal...woofed it down.

Shame I've got to work over the holidays though - would have quite liked to go up to mannie and visit the outlaws...

I want to believe you have three babies named Baby A, Baby B, and Baby C. Like a new version of The Headhunters.

• Like 1

It makes the whole parenthood thing sound like the Stanford experiment.

"Baby C was given the power to determine ration sizes for Baby A.  Baby B initially voiced reservations, but when Baby C threatened Baby B with "box time" Baby B quickly relented and denounced Baby A.  Baby C shows no sings of remorse or sympathy.  Baby A has become compliant.  I'm going to be so rich when I sell all this data to the CIA."

• Like 2

I took the day off to go to a friend of mine's Christmas party, and screw it, I don't wanna go.

I'd like to see my friend and his brother, and maybe 1 or 2 other people, but not at the expense of having to stare at, and listen to, 30 strangers. If you feel social and not horribly depressed and down about everything, that's a present unto itself. Enjoy.

Christmas parties can be a real issue sometimes: it's such a stressful and weird time of year. I've had a miserable year at work, where every day seemed like a dogfight as we lost veteran staff and I dealt with personal and professional crises; and while I knew I'd been generally miserable and irritable and work, it really hit home at the company Christmas party when I was literally an island unto myself in the middle of the bowling alley we'd rented for the evening.  My poor girlfriend, stuck all alone at Grumpy Dog's table...

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'd rather be considered a jerk and stand up against bullshit at work than have people hogging my table at a bowling party, anyway...

Next year just tell your bosses you don't roll on Shabbos.  Done and dusted.