DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: GEORGE TAKANO (The Cobra)

RIPPA

Not to be confused with George Takei - no matter what Google might say.

Ok, so on a lark, I went to Google and typed in "George Takei Wrestling".  Annnddddd this is what I came up with (spoilerboxed due to size):

4724.jpg

I think we can all agree this is Rippa's fault, somehow

Not to be confused with George Takei - no matter what Google might say.

Ok, so on a lark, I went to Google and typed in "George Takei Wrestling".  Annnddddd this is what I came up with (spoilerboxed due to size):

4724.jpg

I think we can all agree this is Rippa's fault, somehow

Oh, myyyyyyyyyyy.

• Like 1

Hey, this might be good. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15p46l_takano-super-strong-machine-c-vs-choshu-iizuka-njpw-07-13-89_sport

I know this one is. Not as good as Choshu/Saito vs. Takano/SSM, but close. 

Takano frustrates me in that as good as he could be in tags and with the right dancing partner, he could be abysmal sometimes -- if anyone can watch the match with Takada from the NJ set and not run for the exits, you have my regards. Must've been a joke on the viewing panel's part. 

That Cobra vs. Black Tiger MSG match had a profound influence on me at the time.  I had an original tape of that show, and I watched that match so many times I lost count.  It's a thing of beauty.  

If you can find a version with the English commentary with Gorilla Monsoon (and I think Alfred Hayes), it's definitely worth it.  Most of all, I love how the crowd is simply murmuring for the first half of the match, but by the end, Cobra and Tiger (it's Rocco, right?) have totally captured them and it's glorious.   

That Cobra vs. Black Tiger MSG match had a profound influence on me at the time.  I had an original tape of that show, and I watched that match so many times I lost count.  It's a thing of beauty.  

If you can find a version with the English commentary with Gorilla Monsoon (and I think Alfred Hayes), it's definitely worth it.  Most of all, I love how the crowd is simply murmuring for the first half of the match, but by the end, Cobra and Tiger (it's Rocco, right?) have totally captured them and it's glorious.

It's Monsoon and Okerlund (who's absent at the beginning but arrives mid-match). They, too, come alive by match's end. Monsoon exclaiming "Listen to this crowd! They love this match!", Okerlund doing all of his non-word verbal reactions to flying moves and the finisher, etc.

Edit: Here it is; found a clipped version hiding on Best of the WWF Volume 1 (match begins at 47:28):

That MSG match was so boss at the time. Really, that whole show (Briscos v Adonis/Murdoch, Piper attacking Cyndi Lauper, JYD's debut) was great and super-important. Everything on that show felt like it meant something.

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - December 28, 1984 (26,092, including several thousand at Felt Forum; sell out for both the arena and Forum)

It was backstage during this event that ABC '20/20' reporter John Stossel was assaulted by David Schultz during an interview in which Stossel asked Schultz if wrestling was fake; as a result of the incident, Stossel filed suit against both the WWF and Schultz
Televised on the MSG Network - included Gorilla Monsoon & Gene Okerlund on commentary; originally announced to appear were Paul Orndorff, Rocky Johnson, Angelo Mosca, and a match between Nikolai Volkoff and Tony Garea; featured Cyndi Lauper being presented an award by the WWF for her contributions over the past year, with Cyndi then giving the WWF a gold platinum record, accepted by WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan and WWF Women's Champion Wendi Richter; moments later, Lauper introduced Capt. Lou Albano and presented him with a record as well for his helping Lauper raise over $4 milliong for multiple sclerosis; eventually, Roddy Piper and Bob Orton Jr. came ringside, with Piper smashing the record over Albano's head, pushing Lauper down, and then bodyslamming David Wolff; Piper then went backstage when Hogan returned to the ring:
Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/85: Brutus Beefcake (w/ Johnny V) pinned SD Jones at 13:22 with a running kneelift
Salvatore Bellamo pinned Johnny Rodz at 5:36 with a reverse crossbody off the middle turnbuckle; prior to the bout, Howard Finkel introduced Bellomo's parents who were sitting in the crowd
Japanese TV - 1/4/85; Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/85: World Martial Arts Champion Antonio Inoki pinned David Schultz at 5:16 with an enzuiguri (Schultz and Inoki's last MSG appearance)
Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/85: The Junkyard Dog pinned Paul Kelly at 3:05 with the powerslam (JYD's MSG debut)
Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/85; Japanese TV - 1/4/85: The Cobra pinned the Black Tiger to win the vacant WWF Jr. Heavyweight Title at 12:29 with a tombstone and senton bomb off the top; after the bout, the Black Tiger attacked the Cobra after Cobra offered to shake hands; moments later, the Cobra retaliated by hitting Tiger with a steel chair (Best of the WWF Vol. 1)
Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/85: Jimmy Snuka & the Tonga Kid fought Roddy Piper & Bob Orton Jr. to a double disqualification at 14:58 when all four men began brawling in the ring and Snuka shoved the referee to the mat; after the bout, Snuka & Tonga cleared the ring of the opposition (Rowdy Roddy Piper's Greatest Hits)
Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/85: Mike Rotundo pinned Rene Goulet at 10:38 with an airplane spin
WWF Tag Team Champions Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch fought Jack & Jerry Brisco to a double count-out at 26:46 when all four men began brawling on the floor; after the match, the challengers put Adonis & Murdoch in simultaneous figure-4 leglocks
Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/85: Barry Windham pinned Mr. Fuji at the 19-second mark with a bulldog
Japanese TV - 1/4/85; Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/85: WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned the Iron Sheik (w/ Freddie Blassie) at 3:31 with a powerslam and the legdrop (WWE's Top 50 Superstars of All Time)