DVDVR Message Board

Lawsuits, Fighter Pay, and Drug Tests: Tibau Fails Post Fight Drug Test In Addition to OoC Test

Elsalvajeloco

I know nothing about anything, but I want to see Brock Lesnar do Brock Lesnar-y things in wrestling and not in UFC. Is this going down a good reason for UFC to toss even more money at Brock as an attraction? 

So like, would they say "We won't have Anderson for a while, so now we really need Brock"?

I probably know only slightly more than you, but I think the answer is no.  I don't think they feel like they need any one particular guy, at least in the short term.

This situation has very little to do with potential negotiations with Brock as they're going hard after Lesnar either way. Bellator is also going to do the same. The thing that helps the UFC's cause is they are probably coming off the most successful month in the history of the company (according to Meltzer on the Breaking News Audio). At this point, the WWE would have to offer Brock some insane deal where he made more for less dates. Maybe all that could be a bluff from Lesnar, but things are not looking good on the WWE side.

I know nothing about anything, but I want to see Brock Lesnar do Brock Lesnar-y things in wrestling and not in UFC. Is this going down a good reason for UFC to toss even more money at Brock as an attraction? 

So like, would they say "We won't have Anderson for a while, so now we really need Brock"?

I probably know only slightly more than you, but I think the answer is no.  I don't think they feel like they need any one particular guy, at least in the short term.

Pretty much. Any MMA company leaning on one guy to be their business is in deep shit.

I would think they were getting ready to go after Brock long before this happened. They do need more mainstream, draw-in-the-casual-fan stars, and Lesnar is that.

How good is the money for UFC main eventers? Could Brock make as much in one UFC PPV main than he would in a whole year of his current WWE deal?

I would think they were getting ready to go after Brock long before this happened. They do need more mainstream, draw-in-the-casual-fan stars, and Lesnar is that.

How good is the money for UFC main eventers? Could Brock make as much in one UFC PPV main than he would in a whole year of his current WWE deal?

The tippity top guys are making really good money and sliding into low to mid seven figures per fight. However, you also have to calculate through PPV buys. A guy like Demetrious Johnson whose PPVs don't do hot business is still making at least $350k - $500k range. On television, he is making under the low end of what he would on PPV (maybe a little over a quarter million dollars counting the XBox sponsorship). The thing is a legitimate training camp costs money. So at best, he is only pocketing 2/3 of that and that's not counting taxes. That's why people like Jose Aldo complain. Until he (Aldo) starts doing business, he isn't going to see the money that someone like Jon Jones is starting to see fight in and fight out.

If Brock's PPVs do well (and no reason they shouldn't), the slight PPV price increase would help net him more money than his original UFC deal.

Edit: It should be noted that DJ most likely makes more money than Aldo based on activity (even if it's mostly on TV). Aldo will probably get his first big payday if and when the McGregor bout actually happens. McGregor is going to promote the hell out of that fight.

Diaz tested positive for marijuana.  That's like saying the sky's blue.  If this is his third time then might as well be three strikes and he's out.

Silva's bust isn't necessarily surprising, but does hurt his status some.  Maybe he took it because this fight was too soon for him.  But the punished time off should ensure he has all the time he needs.  Curious about how he'll be seen if he does come back.

A guy like Demetrious Johnson whose PPVs don't do hot business is still making at least $350k - $500k range.

No way.  A guy like Demetrious Johnson is making peanuts.

http://www.mmamania.com/ufc-payouts-and-salaries

Here's the complete list of UFC 178 payouts and salaries:

Demetrious Johnson: $183,000 ($129,000 to show, $54,000 to win)

Chris Cariaso: $24,000

Johnson def. Cariaso by submission

Geez, if you think Johnson is getting screwed by the UFC's plantation-style business model how do you think Chris Cariaso feels, headlining a PPV event and making less than $25,000?

The UFC's entire business model is built around draining revenue from the fighters to the promotion.  Every aspect of their operation revolves around that principal.  

A guy like Demetrious Johnson whose PPVs don't do hot business is still making at least $350k - $500k range.

No way.  A guy like Demetrious Johnson is making peanuts.

http://www.mmamania.com/ufc-payouts-and-salaries

Here's the complete list of UFC 178 payouts and salaries:

Demetrious Johnson: $183,000 ($129,000 to show, $54,000 to win)

Chris Cariaso: $24,000

Johnson def. Cariaso by submission

Geez, if you think Johnson is getting screwed by the UFC's plantation-style business model how do you think Chris Cariaso feels, headlining a PPV event and making less than $25,000?

The UFC's entire business model is built around draining revenue from the fighters to the promotion.  Every aspect of their operation revolves around that principal.  

Yes, the money reported by the NAC is only thing they get. Welcome to 2002. Mousasi really got $2k to fight Babalu. Yep.

And as a black person, I am offended you're comparing actual slavery to guys making a ton of money. Can we please stop that. K Thx.

Yes, the money reported by the NAC is only thing they get. Welcome to 2002. Mousasi really got $2k to fight Babalu. Yep.

Oh, right, the secret bonuses.  Super secret!  Shhhh!  Tell nobody.  It's a wonder why sports that didn't build their entire economic model on pro-wrestling haven't adopted this incredibly fair and lucrative method.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
Yeah, we're not continuing this part of the discussion

Oh, right, the secret bonuses.  Super secret!  Shhhh!  Tell nobody.  It's a wonder why sports that didn't build their entire economic model on pro-wrestling haven't adopted this incredibly fair and lucrative method.

Yeah, sports in general are really fair. *nods*

Black youth of America, you know what would be really awesome? If we can scout you and then capitalize on your popularity when you play collegiate sports so we can make billions w/o giving you one red cent. Hey I know you're good at sports Arian Foster, but those ramen noodles should suffice as a proper meal. Good luck!

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/4/7981417/anderson-silva-i-have-not-take-any-performance-enhancing-drugs

Apparently, Silva's team wants that B sample tested by another lab (not the one in Salt Lake City). I believe it was Brett Okamoto who said that was not possible and it had to be the SLC lab.

I'm with Naimark on this one. You would have to show me some proof for me to ever believe DJ is making $350-500k per fight. First of all that's a hell of a range. And second, where are you pulling these figures from?

There's a reason that there's so much speculation and secretiveness about fighter pay- because what they pay them in relation to what they bring in is embarrassing and they don't want people to know the final figure.

I'm in Naimark's camp as well. You have to go off of what is published and made available, not backroom deals. Naimark's other point regarding NBA, MLB, NFL, etc. is just as valid. Elsa, I'm not sure how you could just hand wave away that argument.

Silva has released an official statement:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/4/7981417/anderson-silva-i-have-not-take-any-performance-enhancing-drugs

"I’ve been competing in this sport for a very long time.  This is my nineteenth fight in the UFC.  I have been thoroughly tested many times and have never had a positive drug test. I have not taken any performance-enhancing drugs.  My stance on drugs is, and will always be, the same.  I’m an advocate for a clean sport.  I’m consulting with my advisors right now to explore all of my options and intend to fight this allegation and clear my name.  I will not make any further comments until my team advises me to do so."

I'm with Naimark on this one. You would have to show me some proof for me to ever believe DJ is making $350-500k per fight. First of all that's a hell of a range. And second, where are you pulling these figures from?

There's a reason that there's so much speculation and secretiveness about fighter pay- because what they pay them in relation to what they bring in is embarrassing and they don't want people to know the final figure.

Not to dwell on certain aspects of combat sports outside drug testing (and digress on the actual topic of the thread), you also have define what is they bring in. What is somebody like TJ Dillashaw (or Renan Barao before that) bringing in that someone like Andre Berto or Erislandy Lara isn't doing? The UFC had a bad year last year and would never survive off those guys if it had to. At least, not in its current incarnation. Well you say, what is a promotion without its stars? I just say, "where are these stars?".

I mean I agree in general fighters should be paid more, but I think it goes both ways. If the managers don't push for these guys to actually get paid more (especially the lower tier guys) and better treatment for them, then it is going to trend in a way that is definitely not conducive. But that's the UFC mindset. It's not necessarily "we're going to screw these guys", but we are going to force fighters to prove their worth and merit. Then managers believe, "my guy is champion and the actual stars are going subsidize what my fighter is getting paid". That whole line of thinking came when the sport was hotter and that's proving to be the folly now. The reason I bring up Berto and Lara is the whole situation with Golden Boy and Al Haymon. For years HBO and Showtime had that whole mindset with fighters like Berto and Lara because Floyd was (and is given to right opponent) such a huge star. It took certain people stepping down and getting fired from the networks along with dismal numbers (ratings and buys) for people to realize that this isn't a feasible business model. At least, long-term. "Hey, we probably should not be giving Andre Berto a million dollars for a fight not many people are seeing" is not something I am hellbent on disagreeing with.

As far DJ's numbers go, you can believe what you want. :)

Also, I am not sure where the secret bonus thing comes in at. Mousasi wasn't getting a bonus when he fought Babalu. If you like reading commission reported salaries, go ahead. It's fun looking at numbers. I am just going off information I've been told. There are other people out in the MMA media who know the numbers, so feel free to consult them.

“Anderson Silva has been one of the greatest athletes this sport has ever seen. He has had a long and distinguished career in mixed martial arts. In his nine years with the UFC, Anderson has never tested positive for a banned substance. In light of this, we want to ensure that Anderson gets his due process and we will support him during this time. While this process plays out, Anderson will continue in his role as coach of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil. Of course we will continue to monitor the actions of the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

“We fully support the Commission’s out-of-competition drug testing program, which we have financed when requested over the past two years. Testing of this nature is important to help keep the sport clean. The director at the laboratory in Salt Lake City has now explained the timing of Anderson’s test results and why the Commission and the UFC did not receive the results until February 3, after the fight.

“Once all the results have been made public and the Nevada State Athletic Commission has rendered its decision, we will respect the process and move forward accordingly.”

http://www.ufc.com/news/Dana-White-Statement-on-Anderson-Silva

Elsa- I've always wondered what their numbers are per event. As in when it's all said and done and they've paid everyone involved and spent money promoting etc. What do they make? I don't think any of us will ever know. I have my opinions on it. I think for a lot of these shows they're surviving on the brand name. But these guys that you mention contribute to it being a reputable brand name and deserve a fair share.

And you ask where are these stars but that's a monster they've created. When every year you increase your roster and drastically increase your events and run more TUF seasons, you're going to be hard pressed to build stars. The content is still great but they make it increasingly unfamiliar in regards to the names involved.

Elsa- I've always wondered what their numbers are per event. As in when it's all said and done and they've paid everyone involved and spent money promoting etc. What do they make? I don't think any of us will ever know. I have my opinions on it. I think for a lot of these shows they're surviving on the brand name. But these guys that you mention contribute to it being a reputable brand name and deserve a fair share.

And you ask where are these stars but that's a monster they've created. When every year you increase your roster and drastically increase your events and run more TUF seasons, you're going to be hard pressed to build stars. The content is still great but they make it increasingly unfamiliar in regards to the names involved.

Yeah, I agree with that but how much is that "reputable brand" worth? Apparently, not much now.

But yeah, this thread is about Nick Diaz and Anderson Silva failing their drug tests.