DVDVR Message Board

Lawsuits, Fighter Pay, and Drug Tests: Tibau Fails Post Fight Drug Test In Addition to OoC Test

Elsalvajeloco

Yeah, I get that and I don't disagree with it.  Whatever rules are in place have to be followed if you know that there are consequences.  However it is a stupid rule that should probably be completely overhauled or removed.  In the meantime I completely agree with the point that you can't have someone in a position who doles out punishment based on "making an example" of someone, "proving a point", or based on how you feel that day.  You're supposed to remove emotion and personal opinion from matters like that.  It's too much power for a person to have if they're going to tend to abuse it.  Be consistent and impartial should be the goal.  I've always hated that "we're going to make an example of this guy" attitude whether it be a judge or whoever.  How about you don't do that and you just make a ruling based on what's in front of you. 

I mean, that was my point and somehow people took that as me saying Diaz shouldn't have been punished. My stance is that it shouldn't be a rule, period, just like MMA shouldn't be banned in NY. In each situation, various corrupt or backwards people prevent any sort of positive movement.

That said, it's a rule now and Diaz is pretty fucked because of it. It shouldn't have had to even come to this.

God forbid I should come to the defense of Nick Diaz, a fighter that I can't stand in the ring or out of it. But this is so over the top as to be ridiculous. I don't for a second buy the argument that the marijuana ban is to protect fighters from going into a fight stoned and getting hurt because of slowed reflexes. I no longer smoke, but I've smoked plenty of weed over the years and there is no way in hell a professional fighter is going to have much of a career if he fights stoned. The reflexes are slowed, not a lot, but enough to make the difference between blocking a shot and having it connect. The rule is as silly as making a rule that competition swimmers shouldn't swim with 50 lb. weights on their feet. It's completely unnecessary. Nick Diaz is a jerk and asshole of the first order, and were it not for that, there would have been a much lower penalty. It's completely unjust and a mockery. The evidence for this damning third strike is so weak that if he takes it to court and keeps his mouth shut (which for Diaz is problematic), he won't need to worry about cashiering at Wal-Mart, he'll be a very wealthy man and rightfully so.

Not to say TRTs weren't incredibly shady and it's good they're gone, but that article seems to be very carefully written to avoid saying that Belfort's tests were high, but within the legal limit. 

I mean...didn't they technically cover up Jon Jones' doping in 2015?  If they lost Jones/Cormier *again*, it would've been gutting.

Jon Jones never broke any rules and punishing him for breaking nonexistent rules would have been a massive legal liability for the UFC.

• Like 1

Not to say TRTs weren't incredibly shady and it's good they're gone, but that article seems to be very carefully written to avoid saying that Belfort's tests were high, but within the legal limit. 

I mean...didn't they technically cover up Jon Jones' doping in 2015?  If they lost Jones/Cormier *again*, it would've been gutting.

Jon Jones never broke any rules and punishing him for breaking nonexistent rules would have been a massive legal liability for the UFC.

Well I mean, as much as this article seems to act like a big smoking gun, I don't get the sense from reading this that any rules were broken either.

I mean when Belfort fought Anderson Silva in 2011, he was using TRT in Nevada without a TUE.

Quick news updates:

The UFC's motion to dismiss and also the restriction of requested confidential documents were denied. Looks like the full complaint will be heard. However, those documents probably won't be available for the public.

Jeremy Botter has posted the list of athletes who have been tested so far by USADA. The testing, according to Botter, started in mid August. The names in red are the fighters who have been tested multiple times (as the numbers beside the names illustrate).

CQMmatfUEAA4h_-.png

CQMma7dVEAACUxw.png

CQMmbJgVAAEbLw_.png

CQMmbXTUwAEqnjY.png

Moving this over here:

How come Rose's gear is Green/ Yellow/ Red? I thought she was American?

Her parents are from Lithuania.

I believe you have a choice based on your birthplace and/or heritage. For example, Overeem would be able to choose between Great Britain and the Netherlands.

Couple of questions: How are they going to handle countries where the national sporting colour is not one of the flag colours (like the Netherlands, Italy, Australia and New Zealand)? Because you aren't representing Holland in anything other than orange. And Aussies take great pride in putting on the green and gold.

Also, if Genki Sudo was still there, would they let him wear UN colours? If one of the gay fighters decided they'd rather wear the rainbow flag than that of their nation of origin, would reebok/ UFC go along with it?

Moving this over here:

How come Rose's gear is Green/ Yellow/ Red? I thought she was American?

Her parents are from Lithuania.

I believe you have a choice based on your birthplace and/or heritage. For example, Overeem would be able to choose between Great Britain and the Netherlands.

Couple of questions: How are they going to handle countries where the national sporting colour is not one of the flag colours (like the Netherlands, Italy, Australia and New Zealand)? Because you aren't representing Holland in anything other than orange. And Aussies take great pride in putting on the green and gold.

Also, if Genki Sudo was still there, would they let him wear UN colours? If one of the gay fighters decided they'd rather wear the rainbow flag than that of their nation of origin, would reebok/ UFC go along with it?

If it's not on the flag, it's not going to be on the kit. However, that's something they should obviously change simply because they should've known that nearly every country uses the base colors of red, blue, and white. So unless you watch damn near every show like I do, you won't notice the slight, tiny difference between them. They would've been better off putting a goddamn flag on there instead.

Genki Sudo would be told that it's red and white or bust.

The last question interesting because I would be sure someone asked already or will ask in the near future. There are a couple women that would probably love to do that (Jessica Andrade and Carmouche) and then there are some women that are not that far into that movement. I believe Carmouche was rocking the rainbow before the uniform policy. Honestly, that would be a better PR move than telling the women, "Hey, wear this stuff that probably won't fit you properly and will certainly not make you feel better about any body image issues you have." See "Phillips, Elizabeth" for more on the former. God forbid, a male fighter come out and they still make him wear whatever country coordinated kit. This would be the time to ask Dave Sholler or someone from Reebok about that.

oh, the colors are based on home country? then why does it seem like most everyone fights in black or white?

i assumed they got the standard unless they specifically requested something else (like the colors of their flag).

oh, the colors are based on home country? then why does it seem like most everyone fights in black or white?

Because Reebok really loves the black and white set-up? I dunno.

I guess they didn't want 25 different color schemes (similar to what UFC does with TUF) and decided it would be easier to throw those colors on there so you know which fighter is repping what country. The problem, aside from the red, white, and blue deal, is that the lettering and some of the colors still make it hard to recognize the names. For example, a couple months back, you could tell Uriah Hall was repping Jamaica and Bamgbose was repping Nigeria. However, the letters are kinda jumbled together going diagonal. Bamgbose has some black added onto the white and dark green name, and Hall has his shorts split down the side. When the fight is over, Hall's shirt has a darker green than the green associated with Jamaica. So to the average fan watching a 90 second fight, it just looks like they just picked those colors arbitrarily.

Not huge anti-Reebok or anything, but I personally wouldn't mind if they could vary up some of the color and design schemes for the fighters.  Watching it live, it was sometimes a bit hard to tell certain fighters apart because the gear looked so similar.

Not huge anti-Reebok or anything, but I personally wouldn't mind if they could vary up some of the color and design schemes for the fighters.  Watching it live, it was sometimes a bit hard to tell certain fighters apart because the gear looked so similar.

I think an inherent problem with trying design something that looks aesthetically pleasing in this case is that the whole purpose of wearing board shorts in MMA is to basically cover all of it in sponsors. I was brainstorming what they could do, and I thought about how they could possibly try to do something like Clinch Gear's fight shorts. The thing is....they only look cool on somebody like Dan Henderson because he has the Team Quest logo and his long time sponsors like RBP and CORE. Also, it's Dan Henderson. You take all that stuff off of there and just leave the Clinch Gear logo, they look like some knockoff beach shorts you would buy at a rest stop for $3. 

There are some other designs that I didn't hate (like Dethrone), but they don't exactly look like something a major company would produce. I mean Reebok can try to emulate what Kawajiri and a couple others were wearing with Nike in Japan if they wanted something simple. However, that would still require them to do stuff to kinda personalize it for fighters. Guys like Dan Henderson and Cub Swanson have their own logos you can stamp on their trunks. What about random curtain jerker/mid carder fighting in Vegas or wherever?

• Like 1

I am still for out sourcing the designs. Reebok/Zuffa should get with Bad Boy, Affliction, and some other MMA companies to design shorts for fighters. Assign each company like 30 fighters across all different weight classes. I am sure some deal can be worked out where the Reebok logo appears on the outside, but the designers get to pimp their latest designs on their websites, social media pages, etc.

I am still for out sourcing the designs. Reebok/Zuffa should get with Bad Boy, Affliction, and some other MMA companies to design shorts for fighters. Assign each company like 30 fighters across all different weight classes. I am sure some deal can be worked out where the Reebok logo appears on the outside, but the designers get to pimp their latest designs on their websites, social media pages, etc.

That's really the only solution I can think of, but the problem is a company like Reebok wants to roll solo on this stuff. People go in on the Uno card design, but I can honestly believe (and not exactly blame) someone at Reebok looking at stuff before they came to Zuffa and being like "...what in the world is this shit? We can do better than this". However, if you don't come up with something swank and innovative, people are going to shit all over it anyway. People shit on stick and ball uniforms, but the fandom is totally different. People buy ridiculously priced jerseys for no reason at all. A good portion of the MMA fanbase wouldn't be caught dead in MMA related apparel.

• Like 1

Because Reebok really loves the black and white set-up? I dunno.

Everyone fights in black (with a white slash) or white (with a black slash). It's always black vs white as well*. Their name is written in the colours of their home nation (or not... Benson Henderson was officially Korean for a while), except champions whose names are written in gold.

I think most people accept that these current uniforms are rubbish. But sports teams change their uniforms every year, so hopefully in a couple of months they'll unveil next year's uniforms, and they'll be a lot less uniform and a lot more allowing the identities of individuals.

* Which is silly, because everyone is either red corner or blue corner already. You don't need to colour code twice.

People shit on stick and ball uniforms, but the fandom is totally different. People buy ridiculously priced jerseys for no reason at all. A good portion of the MMA fanbase wouldn't be caught dead in MMA related apparel.

I think someone somewhere has failed to understand that supporting your team is a statement of identity in a way that having a favourite fighter really isn't.

People shit on stick and ball uniforms, but the fandom is totally different. People buy ridiculously priced jerseys for no reason at all. A good portion of the MMA fanbase wouldn't be caught dead in MMA related apparel.

I think someone somewhere has failed to understand that supporting your team is a statement of identity in a way that having a favourite fighter really isn't.

The one thing that I agree Reebok should have done that other companies (specifically Affliction) did is to start at the top level first and then work their way down. At one point (from about 2006 to early 2008), having an Affliction sponsorship meant something because only certain MMA and boxers had a deal. The clothing was godawful, but it still meant something to rep that brand. 

What Reebok did early on basically sign a few fighters, not actually advertise who had a deal, and then try to work out a deal with the UFC to get in on making uniforms. Beyond the one commercial Rampage (who basically lost his deal soon after) did with Demarcus Ware, I cannot tell you one significantly thing that stood out about Reebok's MMA involvement prior to July of this year. If they would have waited, they could have a fleshed out some designs, figure out what worked and didn't work, and what feasibly could be done as far their investment in fighters (meaning what amount of money each tier of fighters gets and exceptions). Putting your stuff on Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor, and any top tier athlete or potential superstar means a lot if you market it correctly. Putting it on Alberto Mina and Ildemar Alcantara does not. In that way, it devalues the brand moreso than the rather drab designs.

I think they want to have that thing Manny Pacquiao had when it wouldn't be strange to see people rocking Nike shirts with the MP logo and the colors of the Filipino flag. However, once the craze of Pacquiao wore off, then it didn't mean anything. There is not anything wrong with that idea, but you have to go all in and also know the context behind it.