DVDVR Message Board

Lawsuits, Fighter Pay, and Drug Tests: Tibau Fails Post Fight Drug Test In Addition to OoC Test

Elsalvajeloco

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 1m

UFC is not a signatory to the WADA code because of the difference in first term sanction without the aggravated circumstances

Bloody Elbow @BloodyElbow 44s

Past offenses could also play a part in suspensions, going under the "aggravated circumstances" category.

Bloody Elbow @BloodyElbow 9s

Dana White on possibly losing fights: "I hope that our guys aren't using drugs, but we'll see how this thing plays out."

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting 23s24 seconds ago

Epstein: We're going to be working with commissions around the world.

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 22s

Epstein says they'll work w/ ACs to explain to them what their policy looks like & they hope ACs will use their data when deciding licensure

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 23s24 seconds ago

Tight says the UFC has zero input or influence over this program. Completely external.

That last tweet was Tygart's answer

Bloody Elbow @BloodyElbow 41s

Novitzky: "TUE will be handled by USADA. They will have a TUE board in place to determine if there's a medical necessity."

Bloody Elbow @BloodyElbow 16s

Tygart: "There's no legitimate reason for an otherwise healthy and fit person aged 22-32 to be seeking TRT."

Todd Duffee just got really sad.

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 24s

USADA wil use CIR and testing for EPO as well.

Bloody Elbow @BloodyElbow 16s

Novitzky: "This policy will roll out July 1st. All fighters under contract on July 1st will be subject to testing under that policy.

Luke Thomas @SBNLukeThomas 18s

There will be a 'whistleblower' line for those who wish to inform USADA/UFC authorities of the use of other athletes. 

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 17s

Minimum tests: 2750/year. CIR, EPO all on the table. This avgs to 5.5 tests per athlete per year.

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 10s

Athletes will be required to notify USADA of their whereabouts year-round and are subject to testing 365 days a year.

How will a test for marijuana show if someone was smoking 6 hours before a fight? If you smoked or took an edible the day before, it's still going to show up.

You don't get busted for smoking in competition or out of competition, more or less you better have it out of your system when you're in competition.  So basically if it takes a week or 10 days or whatever to get it out of your system before you're in competition then you better not smoke in that time frame before your fight.

So basically they are only testing for marijuana and cocaine in competition.  In short, don't smoke pot during training camp and don't party and do blow off a hooker's ass (Jon Jones) right before a fight.  

I'm a little annoyed I didn't get to ask any questions on the conference call today instead of that schmuck with Breitbart who asked Dana White and Lorenzo Fertita about getting tested.

So basically they are only testing for marijuana and cocaine in competition.  In short, don't smoke pot during training camp and don't party and do blow off a hooker's ass (Jon Jones) right before a fight.  

I'm a little annoyed I didn't get to ask any questions on the conference call today instead of that schmuck with Breitbart who asked Dana White and Lorenzo Fertita about getting tested.

IIRC Iole got to ask like ten questions. In his defense though, most of them were pertinent.

• Like 1

It was probably that same schmuck at Breitbart who asked about 2015 kicking Ronda Rousey's ass.

The program sounds good, but I am curious about how transparent it will be since the arguments and criticisms earlier this year were that UFC/NSAC were essentially hiding or overlooking the test results in order to push the fights forwards.

It was probably that same schmuck at Breitbart who asked about 2015 kicking Ronda Rousey's ass.

The program sounds good, but I am curious about how transparent it will be since the arguments and criticisms earlier this year were that UFC/NSAC were essentially hiding or overlooking the test results in order to push the fights forwards.

I know it's kinda cliche, but only time will tell. Either way, it requires cooperation between two parties: the promoter and the jurisdiction.

An example that I would use is what happened with Golden Boy Promotions a few years ago when they tried to get in bed with USADA and VADA. Richard Schaefer, who was the real man behind GBP, said some of the same things we've been hearing from Dana, Lorenzo, and Epstein. Then, it turned into a cavalcade of what not to do as a promoter and a top promotion. You had Andre Berto failing a VADA test before his rematch with Victor Ortiz in Cali. Schaefer lost his shit and inadvertently blamed the testing protocols as to why they were losing money on not being able to put on that fight. Just a five months later, Erik Morales fails a drug test in NY before his rematch with Danny Garcia. The fight STILL goes on as planned. It becomes not only a joke of a fight, but a PR nightmare for both Golden Boy and the NYSAC. Shortly thereafter, Golden Boy moves away from drug testing besides the USADA tested Mayweather fights that they only co-promoted.

After the Cung Le thing in China, the UFC really should be smarter and keen on handling these issues. Part of that was putting together this program. However, you're going to have willing participants in any wrongdoing as long as there is a ton of money on the table. By also putting more components on the table like CIR testing and whistleblowing, you are risking everything by even showing willingness to do anything unsavory.

• Like 1

I hope that's not the case.  IMHO, ultimately for this to work, it has to be transparent with the results and testing.  

Also, it means fans and the UFC will have to accept maybe some of our favorite fighters and top stars are juicing and they will have to follow suit.  If they want to give them some veil of arbitration or legal counsel, but usually where there is smoke, there is fire.

• 2 weeks later...

Rony Jason failed his drug test for his last fight against Damon Jackson for a diuretic. His win could be turned into a No Contest, and he immediately loses his performance bonus. He plans to appeal.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/6/18/8806811/tuf-winnerrony-jason-tests-positive-for-diuretics-vows-to-appeal-suspension-ufc-news

• 2 weeks later...

This whole deal blew the lid off of mediocre fighters getting fat and happy off of sponsorships for years.  When the dialogue was that sponsors were drying up and stiffing fighters on all their money beforehand.  

Work for your money and sponsorships if you want them.  If garbage men make more, go be a garbage man.  Oh, what's that?  You don't want to handle and compact garbage for a living?  Then shut up.  Stop constantly over training and pulling out of big fights you constantly ask for.

One thing I will say is there is going to be an interesting dynamic going forward. I think it's a bit too easy to say just sign with Bellator or WSOF because management teams tend to side with whomever they feel benefits them the most. Therefore, it isn't about fighter loyalty as it is manager loyalty.

Greg Savage has been pushing over the last 3 weeks or so that he totally sees Ben Henderson leaving for Bellator. If my memory serves me correctly, this would be after the Korea show in the fall. However, I think that's where the interesting dynamic comes in at. The guys who would be the unhappiest, at least according to Dave Meltzer, would be the upper mid tier guys who wouldn't have an individual Reebok deal yet or not in the immediate title picture. In my mind, I think that's the category the UFC tries to appease depending on the fighter. You can lose a Phil Davis or post-prime Josh Koscheck because that's not where your bread is buttered. Now guys like Ben Henderson and Donald Cerrone and guys just below that tier like Matt Brown and Michael Bisping are fighters that you need to hold on to. People recognize the names and tune into to see them fight. That's also where the UFC is the strongest and from that been able to keep business pretty stable. You get them to comply, and a talent raid is not going to happen because a few guys leaving is typical in MMA. Let companies have the Kimbos and Ken Shamrocks of the world along with a bunch of fighters at a career crossroads like Tito and Cheick Kongo. They put on their events, and you go along putting on yours.

• Like 3

Well I remember reading rumors that Henderson pulling out of his Michael Johnson fight was due to a contract dispute.  In interviews, Henderson said it was a bad injury, but he refused to say what it was.  So that was kind of strange.

But I get the sense that UFC will be willing to open up the pocket books to keep the upper tier contenders, former champions on the roster.

Well I remember reading rumors that Henderson pulling out of his Michael Johnson fight was due to a contract dispute.  In interviews, Henderson said it was a bad injury, but he refused to say what it was.  So that was kind of strange

I think from that same story they asked if it was an eye injury, and he didn't really deny it. That was the rumor going around when the fight just kind fell apart.

This looks pretty bad. Night just those shirts, I mean the whole thing. All that build up for this?

This may be a dumb statement, but in hindsight, fighters should have unionized when they had the chance.