DVDVR Message Board

Lawsuits, Fighter Pay, and Drug Tests: Tibau Fails Post Fight Drug Test In Addition to OoC Test

Elsalvajeloco

Steven Marrocco @MMAjunkieSteven now

Nick Diaz temporarily suspended per NSAC.

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting now

The motion for temp suspension of Diaz passes unanimously.

Kevin Iole @KevinI now6 seconds ago 

Silva's attorney also asks to have time to prepare for full hearing. Commission grants the temporary suspension.

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN now10 seconds ago

Diaz/Silva temporarily suspended in Nevada. Rubber stamp process. Disciplinary hearings will be scheduled, likely next month.

Kevin Iole @KevinI now5 seconds ago 

Lombard has been temporarily suspended as well.

Popped for a diuretic. During the hearing, I guess one of the commissioners said she was 20 pounds over 2 weeks out and 10 pounds over the week of. She sent a letter to the NAC saying she didn't know what product/supplement caused her to fail.

Popped for a diuretic. During the hearing, I guess one of the commissioners said she was 20 pounds over 2 weeks out and 10 pounds over the week of. She sent a letter to the NAC saying she didn't know what product/supplement caused her to fail.

Thanks had no idea what she did to get 9 months.

Bloody Elbow @BloodyElbow 3m

UFC's new drug testing program begins on July 1.

MMAjunkie @MMAjunkie 5m

UFC introduces new drug-testing policy, advocates for longer suspensions http://dlvr.it/8csNjd  via @MMAjunkie

MMAjunkie @MMAjunkie 5m

UFC introduces new drug-testing policy, advocates for longer suspensions http://dlvr.it/8csNjd  via @MMAjunkie

Lance Pugmire @latimespugmire 18m

Fertitta wants a minimum two-year ban on a first positive...

Josh Gross @yay_yee 21m

Nice. White and Fertitta called for other MMA and boxing groups to get on board. Mentioned Viacom without mentioning Viacom.

Bloody Elbow @BloodyElbow 5s

“Fighters are going to look at risk vs. reward...Two or four years (out) could be career threatening." Dana White

It should be noted that Jack Encarncao basically had his own little mini-interview with Dana, Lorenzo, COO/General Counsel Lawrence Epstein. I found that amusing. The other media people like Lance Pugmire, who mentioned he didn't get to ask anything, were not amused.

Lorenzo (and Dana) actually hinted that it could be 4 year ban. Someone stated (Dana IIRC) that they know if a fighter is suspended nine months, he/she is basically only missing one fight. Dana used the example of a 28 year fighter potentially getting a 4 yr ban could be a career ender.

Epstein mentioned that the co-main/main eventer testing could start as soon as 10 weeks out ideally so the results can be expedited. So they suspect Aldo, McGregor, Lawler, and Rory would be the first ones subjected to this despite the actual program being implemented starting on 7/1.

It's easy to talk about these issues, but much harder to execute.  Will wait and see how this all pans out.

Lawrence Epstein talked about changing legal framework of contracts to give UFC authority to punish and suspend fighters who fail drug tests and asking commissions to adopt suspensions.  Will be interesting to see how all that pans out and if fighters will go along with it, since we know a lot of them probably are cheating or using things they shouldn't.

• Like 1

Lawrence Epstein talked about changing legal framework of contracts to give UFC authority to punish and suspend fighters who fail drug tests and asking commissions to adopt suspensions.  Will be interesting to see how all that pans out and if fighters will go along with it, since we know a lot of them probably are cheating or using things they shouldn't.

Yeah, that was a very interesting aspect of it. I think that was part of the Q&A portion with Encarncao where Jack asked how the commissions would go along with the 3rd party testing failure. There is going to be a point where someone is not going to have a license with NV or CA (like Nick recently or an older fighter who has to reapply), fails a test, and the UFC has to punish them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem with that is those commissions don't have the power to suspend anyone who doesn't have a license with them. So the only thing I can see is the fighter not applying for a license while under UFC suspension and then having to obtain one afterwards. It would like the same as Ashlee Evans-Smith having to submit a clean test BEFORE being able to even apply for a license.

• Like 1

They admitted as such they aren't hiring some random company like last time. Epstein admitted their biggest mistake was not aligning with a USADA when the Cung Le/Macau thing went down. Now they are at a point where they can't afford to save money on testing.