DVDVR Message Board

Lawsuits, Fighter Pay, and Drug Tests: Tibau Fails Post Fight Drug Test In Addition to OoC Test

Elsalvajeloco

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter 6m6 minutes ago

Plaintiffs and details for the class action lawsuit against the UFC will be revealed at a press conference tomorrow at 1 p.m. PT.

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter 6m6 minutes ago

The press conference is at the Hyatt in downtown San Jose.

SJ? I guess Meltzer has to go then.

I figure Cung Le will probably be the only guy on the current UFC roster involved.

Damn, I'm a badass.

Here's the law firm's press release:

http://www.cohenmilstein.com/news.php?NewsID=742

RT @mookiealexander: Based on what I'm reading early, the filing indirectly lists Bellator as a "fringe competitor"

What in the fuck?

Bellator MMA President Scott Coker: We're bringing 'the fringe fans back'  

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter 17s17 seconds ago

For the purposes of this, we are pretending that Bellator—who are prepared to pay Brock Lesnar millions of dollars—do not exist.

Who is pretending exactly Jeremy Botter?

In terms of actual gate revenue, Bellator is a fringe competitor.  

There is more than one revenue stream to determine competition. By that standard, there are a ton of competitors that rival Top Rank and Golden Boy.

• Like 1

Todd Martin @ToddMartinMMA 6m

Just finished reading through the class action lawsuit against the UFC. Bottom line, as an attorney, I don't see a strong case laid out.

Jonathan Snowden @mmaencyclopedia 4m

@ToddMartinMMA Do you work antitrust litigation?

Todd Martin @ToddMartinMMA 59s

@mmaencyclopedia Not my primary focus but I've done antitrust work.

Jonathan Snowden @mmaencyclopedia now4 seconds ago

@ToddMartinMMA Not dealt with this area of law. Few have. Interesting. UFC's market share makes any anti-competitive action suspect right?

Todd Martin @ToddMartinMMA 3s3 seconds ago

@mmaencyclopedia Suspect? I would say the opposite. UFC's market share gives anti-competitive action more credibility.

Jonathan Snowden @mmaencyclopedia now19 seconds ago

@ToddMartinMMA That seems to be the opposite of my reading of the case law.

The UFC is aware of the action filed today but has not been served, nor has it had the opportunity to review the document. The UFC will vigorously defend itself and its business practices.

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-reponse?utm_campaign=UFC&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1418770179

Man reading tweets is confusing sometimes.  

While I have my views, lawyers might provide some compelling evidence to the contrary.  We shall see.

I like Cung Le a lot.  In my interviews and dealings with him he's been a class act and super nice down to earth approachable guy.  But I still think he was juicing.  However I believe a lot of guys are juicing and probably getting away with it.  

Let me get this straight, Carlos Newton wants the ability to fight for what he is worth and not someone else's generosity.

He is 38, 3-7 in his last 10 fights, has not fought in more than 4 years, and is currently listed on his wiki page as 'retired.'

Am I missing something here other than a potential money grab?

• Like 1

Let me get this straight, Carlos Newton wants the ability to fight for what he is worth and not someone else's generosity.

He is 38, 3-7 in his last 10 fights, has not fought in more than 4 years, and is currently listed on his wiki page as 'retired.'

Am I missing something here other than a potential money grab?

It has to be that. Assuming Snowden is correct and a bunch of potential major players pulled out, what makes anyone believe 700-800 fighters would join up? 70 is kinda a stretch when you realize the reps for the fighters already don't particularly seem too interested in bringing up Bellator and/or Viacom. If you have fighters that work for Bellator now, it rules out that a. Bellator is some fringe competition because you need to meet criteria to enter the suit and b. that a company cannot amass a decent roster of talent.