DVDVR Message Board

NJPW World Has Arrived

KidKash202

First two and final nights, I believe. Last year I think it was just first and last. Last year also had a number of shows without commentary or moving camera I think, which won't be the case this year.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2017 at 1:04 AM, jstout said:

I can't honestly believe how NJPW bills - if I signed up today, I'd pay $9.99 for July (all five days of it), then pay $9.99 again on August 1. Uh, no thanks, I'll start on the 1st.

Wow - I had no idea that's how it works... I'm glad I signed up in early July w/ the G1 shows.

• 2 weeks later...

The promotions blame the service provider and say they can't control how the billing works. Which may be true, I dunno, but all the Japanese wrestling sub services are the same way, the billing cycle is done by calendar month. I don't know if its a Japanese thing or just this particular provider operates that way.

And '80s too, when the company was perhaps at its hottest. The crowds were never that loud even during the '90s peak. I feel like early-to-mid '80s Choshu is kind of a forgotten all time great worker because of what he devolved into later on. His '84 match with Inoki is one of the best I've ever seen in that almost everything in the match played to the two characters' traits. Inoki is the foundation of New Japan, the established icon to Choshu's revolutionary tornado. Inoki did a lot of stationary, less is more, whereas Choshu was running all over the place. It played into the finish too. Hidden gem. 

I'm guessing a lot of this is due to the footage being owned by TV Asahi, right? Still would be nice if we got more commercial tapes uploaded and such. New Japan had a tonne of those in the '90s.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

It still kills me how bare bones the NJW archive is. Would love to see more 90s and 00s stuff.

I'd love to see more of their TV like complete shows, but I imagine that's tied up with Asahi. For example, the cray-cray Tenzan/Chono/Hiro vs Choshu/Hashimoto/Hirata brawl from 1995 we talked about on BTS a ways back is on World, but it's a no-commentary feed and doesn't have any of the angles leading up to it, so it kind of exists in a vacuum.

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've wanted to see that goddamn show for years

Again, that match proper is on NJPW World. Shame we don't have the wackiness of Masa Saito, BULLADAWOODS.

There are so many hidden gems for New Japan in the '90s because their heavyweights were completely overshadowed by All Japan's big 4. The crowds were so fucking hot for the top dogs, just unreal.

So, they have been uploading a lot of matches from commercial tapes from the '90s and big matches from the '80s. The August '84 match between Inoki and Choshu is up, as is the famous bloody Sapporo brawl between Choshu and Fujinami. They've also uploaded the October '82 six-man tag (Inoki/Fujinami/Choshu vs. Abby/Bad News/SD JONES! Guess who takes the fall!) where shit breaks down between Fujinami and Choshu. Awesome!

• Like 1

On 11/08/2017 at 1:32 PM, Oyaji said:

So, they have been uploading a lot of matches from commercial tapes from the '90s and big matches from the '80s. The August '84 match between Inoki and Choshu is up, as is the famous bloody Sapporo brawl between Choshu and Fujinami. They've also uploaded the October '82 six-man tag (Inoki/Fujinami/Choshu vs. Abby/Bad News/SD JONES! Guess who takes the fall!) where shit breaks down between Fujinami and Choshu. Awesome!

So how do you find out what has been newly uploaded to the archives?0

No clue. I just spent some time browsing. Shit, they may have been there from day one for all I know but it certainly seems like they've uploaded more stuff outside of G1 and Tokyo Dome shows. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does this mean people can watch it for free at their own convenience as well? I can't imagine a lot of people watching at 4:30 AM EST/1:30 PST if they aren't already super die hard fans with subscriptions already.

• Like 1