DVDVR Message Board

NHL - December 2014

Dolfan in NYC

Seriously, he'd be better off just laying on his side on the goal line and flailing his arm and leg at any incoming shot. 

Maybe the Wings could dress one of those mini-golf windmill obstacles as their back-up, and put it in just for the shootout?.

Anyway, I know the feeling. Shootouts have been a sore spot for the Flames, too, for the last several years. Even when they had Kiprusoff, he was way worse at them than he had any right to be, considering his talent otherwise (same goes for Iginla, for that matter). Thankfully, they haven't had too many games go to the shootout this year (though I guess I'd take losing in a shootout ahead of losing outright, so maybe I shouldn't say "thankfully.")

Seriously, he'd be better off just laying on his side on the goal line and flailing his arm and leg at any incoming shot. 

Maybe the Wings could dress one of those mini-golf windmill obstacles as their back-up, and put it in just for the shootout?.

Put a goalie mask on one of their bottom-end defensemen like Bobby Lashoff and have him play goalie or something.  I mean, good grief - a .250 save %.

Hurricanes traded Dman Jay Harrison to the Jets for a 6th round pick.  Harrison was a healthy scratch for the worst team in the league.  That's when you know things are bad.  Carolina is retaining 30% of salary so that means a savings of about a million dollars.  Sadly, Carolina got better by subtraction.  At least the race for the bottom will remain interesting.

Toby is better than Pardy, Postma and Clitsome by a wide margin. Sure, he's tiny and can't shoot, but he's better than those guys.

I'm going to respectfully disagree on this one. He is the woooooorst defensemen in his own end, his defensive technique is basically to skate in circles and hope no one notices him. It's hardly a scientific study, but it seems like whenever there is a bad defensive breakdown leading to a goal, you can be sure Toby was on the ice. If he was putting up 60+ points, it might be an okay trade-off, but for such an "offensive-minded" defenseman, he instead puts up 30. "Can't shoot" should actually read won't shoot. I've never seen anyone pass up so many must shoot opportunities. It is the most infuriating.

I'm not trying to pump up Pardy, Postma or Gitsome Clitsome, who are all varying degrees of bad. But Enstrom is not only terrible, but also gets tonnes of ice time.

Was at Lightening-Devils tonight and am convinced the Devils have the dumbest fans in hockey. Case in point: a TB player got smacked in the face with a high stick that drew blood. The Jersey trash sitting behind me started calling the guy a diver, and for good measure used antigay slurs. They spent the rest of the game calling TB players antigay slurs. Seriously, it was ridiculous.

How to score on your own net from the other end of the rink

https://t.co/6aBbe6FQ5l

That was just the worst. I didn't think anything could top Kris Russel skating the puck into his own net a few games ago (essentially, anyway; an opposition player was involved, but it was still a terrible, terrible play on Russel's end). But this tops it.

And of course, the Flames end up losing in OT, so that goal totally could have been the difference. The Flames have now got ONE point out of their last eight games.

Stupid hockey.

Yet another shootout loss for Detroit. Jimmy Howard didn't play so at least this time there were some stops by Detroit. Detroit's shooters are terrible at these things. They all make moves so close to the net that they give themselves no room to shoot.

Tough loss after Detroit dominated for 65 minutes. Goal scoring has returned to the level I expected before the season - non-existent.