DVDVR Message Board

NHL - December 2014

Dolfan in NYC

I thought the Panthers at 9-6-6 and 24 points were doing well.  

I looked at the standings and see they are not doing well.    Also, what the hell is the "Metropolitan" conference?

Seems overly cruel the schedule maker has the Oilers against the Jets, then BACK-TO-BACK vs Sharks & Ducks with 4 games in 6 nights. 15 game losing streak not entirely impossible here...

And every game this month except vs the Rangers is against the West who they haven't beaten yet this year. This is fugly.

Teddy don't tank! He has a naked picture of Tim Murray in the dressing room covered by the exact # of pieces as # of wins we need to make the playoffs. And JoBu, can't forget JoBu.

Multiple sources are reporting that Jean Beliveau has passed away.

I don't know really how it happened because he played way before my time, but Jean Beliveau *is* the Montreal Canadiens to me. I'm sadder about this than I have any right to be for a western Canadian guy in my 30's.

Agreed 100%, he was way before my time as well but he's definitely the first name I associate with Montreal. Never saw him play live but everything I ever saw of him or about him made me absolutely love the guy. He seemed like a true gentleman in a sport that is often full of goons, barbarians, and ruffians. He's probably the classiest player to ever lace up a pair of skates. He's easily a top 10 all-time greatest player, probably 5th after the untouchable four.

I'm the same way. Whenever I think of the Canadiens, I think of guys like Beliveau, Richard or "newer" guys like Lafleur. Never recent Habs like Roy or.....I don't really know if there's been a "definitive" Hab since then. Maybe Subban or Price in a few years?

Certainly but Beliveau is the face of the Habs for me, just like DFA said was the case for him. His class, elegance (his long, effortless strides up and down the ice were something), cool demeanor, and great skill defined what it meant to be a great hockey player.

Wasn't he featured heavily in that incredible video DFA posted eons ago featuring footage from the '60s set to music? I've watched a few games of his from gamecenter's vault and was very impressed watching full games rather than just clips. Very smart player.

I love how he's accredited with turning around the series against the Bruins in '71 (his last season) and the come from behind victory in game 2 (down 5-1, win 7-5). This is from the YT video description:

"It was a question of personal pride, team spirit and, of course, all the predictions that the Bruins would undoubtedly dominate the Canadiens with ease," he was quoted in the April 25, 1971 edition of the La Patrie newspaper.

Dat Cournoyer pass on the 5-3 Beliveau goal though. 

Also, I fucking miss being a kid and watching like 10 episodes of Legends of Hockey during Christmas break:

Edit-

Watching that LoH episode again, I was having flashbacks of the Manchurian Candidate:

110927015030-manchurian-candidate-1962-h

Jean Beliveau is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

Edited by Oyaji

First names I think of when I think Canadiens are Richard and Lafleur.  Beliveau ain't far behind though.  Roy would be in the next group after, I think.  I don't think there's been a definitive guy since then.

Riding a hot streak that put them 1 point from 1st overall, the Wings saw Florida come to town last night.  And Florida...went to town.  45-50 minutes of some of the worst hockey Detroit has played all year.  Just atrocious stuff.  3 steps slow, every pass misfiring, you name it.  *11* giveaways in the first 2 periods.  Throw in a few goalposts on shots and Detroit ends up down 4-1.  They scored a couple to make it close, 4-3, but the game wasn't that close.  Terrible effort all around, possibly partly due to bad ice conditions (major power issues in Detroit yesterday), but mostly just terrible effort.  That's gonna happen sometimes.  And Detroit's been playing great so a stinker here-and-there isn't so bad.

Zetterberg had 11 shots last night and somehow didn't score.

It was a really quiet 11 shots if that's possible.

Shawn Burr, ex-Wings forward from the 80s, once had 19 shots in a game and didn't score.  How he managed 19 shots in a game is beyond me.

• Like 1

Between MacT pictures and Blues fans bitching about Patrick Kane being awesome, it was a good twitter night for hockey fans. Glad the Jets snuck out with a win over the Oilers, but nobody should need to sneak wins off that team right now.

At least 2014 Bryzgalov brings humor, amusing remarks, and an indescribable weirdness. Brodeur just brings sadness and depression. I saw him on NHLN in his Blues regalia and he just looks utterly bizarre. It's like some kind of shit you'd see in EA NHL and just shake your head at the ridiculousness of Brodeur playing for anyone other than New Jersey, except in real life. I was never a fan of his but this seems like something that should not be.

• Like 1